Exchange for larger diamond?

Keep or exchange?

• Be happy with your current diamond and keep it

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Exchange for the bigger diamond

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

HEPennypacker

Rough_Rock
I originally bought this diamond:

Carat weight: 1.66
Cut: Ideal
Color: F
Clarity: VS2

Depth %: 61.6%
Table %: 58%
Crown: 34.5
Pavilion: 41
Symmetry: Very good
Polish: Very good
Girdle: Thin to slightly thick
Culet: None
Fluorescence: Medium
Measurements: 7.57 x 7.62 x 4.68 mm
HCA: 2

But I''m thinking about exchanging for this:

Carat weight: 2.20
Cut: Ideal
Color: G
Clarity: SI1

Depth %: 59.5%
Table %: 57%
Crown: 33
Pavilion: 41
Symmetry: Excellent
Polish: Excellent
Girdle: Thin
Culet: None
Fluorescence: Strong blue
Measurements: 8.53 x 8.60 x 5.10 mm
HCA: .6

The price difference is about $4k, and the girlfriend has said that she thinks 2 carats is big. But given the "shrinkage" effect, I''m not sure how much to weight that. What do you guys think?

milton333

Brilliant_Rock
Your gf has to wear it. For some people, there really is such a thing as too big. I don''t think I''d be comfortable with 2.2 carats, honestly, it just doesn''t suit my lifestyle. Find out if your gf really means it when she says that 2.2 is too big - it''s her ring.

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
The HCA came up all Excellent based on the stats for the second diamond, however, for such a good sized diamond, a thin girdle may be more susceptible to chipping. Also, a strong blue fluorescence, may, cause the second diamond to take on a milky appearance in certain lighting.

While the first diamond doesn''t have the excellent polish & finish, the fluorescence is less and the girdle is better since it is not only thin.

Bigger is not necessarily ... better. 1.66 is a good starter size diamond. It is relatively substantial on a finger and ... if you get this size, maybe you can get a better upgrade in a couple of years - 3 or 4 carats?
31.gif
36.gif

I agree with Milton, maybe when she says 2 carats is too big, maybe she means it.

Both are good diamonds - pros & cons on both sides - all it really comes down to is whether or not you really want to go bigger. If you want to go bigger, go for it! If she will be equally pleased with the purchase you have already invested in, stick with it.

Good luck! Let us know what you decide.
36.gif
9.gif
35.gif

HEPennypacker

Rough_Rock
I think she would be pleased with the 1.66 cts, since I had conditioned her to expect only 1.3 cts
2.gif
. And it's a nice stone. But for only a few thousand more, I could get a near-colorless, eye-clean stone a full 1mm larger. On the other hand, I could just spend the money on a super nice setting (I just got a simple solitaire in the expectation that we'll pick out a setting together later). I'm going to sleep on it but would be curious to hear other people's thoughts. Thanks for the replies so far!

Sharon101

Brilliant_Rock
Knowing me, I would go with the bigger one `if` it looked pleasing to the eye. If the fl. does not negatively impact the look, and it is eye clean, I would be all over it like a rash!!!
11.gif

angeline

Ideal_Rock
I am not an expert but does the shallow crown of 33 combined with a thin girdle spell any trouble? i.e. prone to chipping and also other issues with the shallowness of the crown?

Again, not an expert, just .02c

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m not an expert either but I remember reading somewhere that only very thin or extremely thin girdle is a concern. Also, I have two diamonds with girdle "thin to medium" and I;ve had absolutely no problem.

On the fluor, two of my diamonds have medium and strong blue fluor and it has no negative impact on them, only the opposite. I think you should ask the vendor about this and see it for yourself when you receive it.

I used to think 3 carat was HUGE but think it''s ok now. DSS DOES indeed set in and the older you get the worse it becomes, LOL!! Why don''t you talk to your GF again and if she''s deadset against it, then that''s a different story. JMHO.

Hera

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/5/2007 12:37:09 AM
Author: Sparkalicious
The HCA came up all Excellent based on the stats for the second diamond, however, for such a good sized diamond, a thin girdle may be more susceptible to chipping. Also, a strong blue fluorescence, may, cause the second diamond to take on a milky appearance in certain lighting.

While the first diamond doesn't have the excellent polish & finish, the fluorescence is less and the girdle is better since it is not only thin.

Bigger is not necessarily ... better. 1.66 is a good starter size diamond. It is relatively substantial on a finger and ... if you get this size, maybe you can get a better upgrade in a couple of years - 3 or 4 carats?
31.gif
36.gif

I agree with Milton, maybe when she says 2 carats is too big, maybe she means it.

Both are good diamonds - pros & cons on both sides - all it really comes down to is whether or not you really want to go bigger. If you want to go bigger, go for it! If she will be equally pleased with the purchase you have already invested in, stick with it.

Good luck! Let us know what you decide.
36.gif
9.gif
35.gif
This is very,very rare occurance and can be double checked by having the seller look at it outdoors in the light. In fact, the flourescence may make the diamond appear whiter.

Hera

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/5/2007 2:58:09 AM
Author: Phoenix
I''m not an expert either but I remember reading somewhere that only very thin or extremely thin girdle is a concern. Also, I have two diamonds with girdle ''thin to medium'' and I;ve had absolutely no problem.

On the fluor, two of my diamonds have medium and strong blue fluor and it has no negative impact on them, only the opposite. I think you should ask the vendor about this and see it for yourself when you receive it.

I used to think 3 carat was HUGE but think it''s ok now. DSS DOES indeed set in and the older you get the worse it becomes, LOL!! Why don''t you talk to your GF again and if she''s deadset against it, then that''s a different story. JMHO.
I''ve heard that too.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d check with your gf again that she means it when she says that she wouldn''t feel comfortable with the 2ct. If she''s happy to go with it, I''d get it for her, but if she really wouldn''t feel happy with it then I''d get the 1.6ct.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
" girlfriend has said that she thinks 2 carats is big."

By this do you think she means " wow 2 carats is BIG
30.gif
30.gif
" or '' 2 carats is too big
14.gif
...Once you know which one it is, then you can decide. Either diamond looks like a very nice choice.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think your girlfriend needs to make the decision. I would go for the bigger one - but thats just me! And I have large hands and could definitely carry off a larger stone.
1.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/5/2007 2:09:58 AM
Author: angeline
I am not an expert but does the shallow crown of 33 combined with a thin girdle spell any trouble? i.e. prone to chipping and also other issues with the shallowness of the crown?

Again, not an expert, just .02c
That should be fine, discussions here in the past have noted that a CA of 32.5 deg and less might cause flags to be raised, but you need to look at the whole diamond, as the crown angle alone isn't necessarily enough to rule one out. Also depending a think girdle is often fine, it can be very thin or ex thin which may cause concern, this isn't always the case and an expert vendor can advise. Also if you are interested, here are GIA's definitions of shallow crowns.

Slightly shallow crown = at or near 31.5
Moderately shallow crown = at or near 26.5
Shallow crown = at or near 22.0
Very shallow crown = at or near 20.0
Extremely shallow crown < 20.0

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also it depends on whether the bigger diamond is eyeclean in this case, as to whether it would be best to choose it. Also make sure your expectations are known to the vendor regarding '' eyecleanliness.''

HEPennypacker

Rough_Rock
My problem with asking my girlfriend is that it would likely tip her off that I''m going to propose soon, and I want it to be a complete surprise (we haven''t really talked about diamonds since the summer). I''m having the first diamond appraised this afternoon and will take a copy of the GIA report of the second and ask the appraiser''s opinion. I might also ask my girlfriend''s best friend.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I happen to fall in the camp that wouldn''t want the larger diamond. *ducks while rotten fruit and veggies are thrown*
9.gif

Ideally, it would be nice if she could pick, but I see that''s not an option. Let me ask this, are you buying from a place with an upgrade policy? Here''s the thing. If you get her the smaller stone and someday she wants bigger, you can do that. However, if you go bigger, and she really meant what she said, to upgrade/downgrade, you''ll have to buy much higher clarity/color, to make the monetary difference.

If it were me, I''d go with a smaller stone, which btw, that 1.66 is a LOVELY size, from a place that upgrades.
28.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/5/2007 8:08:49 AM
Author: Ellen
I happen to fall in the camp that wouldn''t want the larger diamond. *ducks while rotten fruit and veggies are thrown*
9.gif

BASH1.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/5/2007 8:18:40 AM
Author: Lorelei

9.gif
OW!

lol.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/5/2007 8:30:03 AM

Date: 12/5/2007 8:18:40 AM
Author: Lorelei

9.gif
OW!

lol.gif
face20.gif

kellyfish

Brilliant_Rock
Unless you think she may be offended in some way with a larger stone or that it is unacceptably inferior, when in doubt go larger. I'll bet that you rarely have a woman trade a diamond in for a smaller one. With that size, she may never trade it in for a larger one, either...... I think the SB will be beautiful (I have SB in a 2ct sq emerald). Also, you may want to aks that the setter put the stone pretty low on the prongs to keep it from catching on things--it will make the stone much more comfortable to wear in any size.....

nottypicallyperfect

Rough_Rock
Personally I''d take her finger size into consideration. Mine is only a 4, so I can''t pull off wearing a 2 ct diamond as it takes up most of the top of my finger. If she has a little larger size finger then either would look beautiful. Personally, I''d go for the smaller diamond and accent it in a special setting.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree that "when in doubt, go larger", and I also agree that you should ask her best friend. If the best friend says your GF would really prefer a diamond, then go with Ellen's suggestion that you should go with a vendor that has an upgrade policy, just in case.

I was actually thinking about this thread today and am wondering if when your GF said 2ct is too big, might she have been thinking about you? I am not making any assumption here, just throwing in some thoughts. I know that if my husband had asked me at the time whether I'd have preferred a larger diamond than 1ct (well, we would have been able to had we known more about colour and clarity, particularly the latter - he chose a VVS1 - we could have got a bigger diamond, but that's another story altogether), I would have said no since he didn't have much at the time and virtually already spent all his savings to buy me the e-ring. Again, not making any assumptions since I clearly don't know about yr finances and of course you don't have to disclose anything at all here, but is it a possibility that she said what she said because she doesn't want you to spend a bunch of $$$$ of your hard earned mooolah (sp?!)?

kellyfish

Brilliant_Rock
According to the original post, she thinks 2cts is "big", as opposed to "too big"....

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/5/2007 11:01:34 AM
Author: kellyfish
According to the original post, she thinks 2cts is ''big'', as opposed to ''too big''....
But his subsequent comment (I''m assuming he knows what that means from her) alludes to the fact that it means too big.

At least that''s the way I read it.

kellyfish

Brilliant_Rock
I guess that is what I get for not reading all the posts--I just thought it was his ambiviliance (sp?) .....I was so blinded by the prospect of 2.2cts
emlove.gif

tberube

Brilliant_Rock
If it were me, I''d want the larger diamond. But you said your girlfriend thinks 2ct. is too big, and you should listen to her. She''ll be wearing it.

HEPennypacker

Rough_Rock
Part of it might very well be just her conditioning herself to a smaller diamond in light of my professed financial constraints (I believe in lowering expectations so that the surprise is even better
2.gif
). But she also mentioned it in passing when discussing one of her friends who wants a 2 ct ring. Normally I would find this dispositive, but I also know that she hasn't actually tried on a 2 ct ring and think that once she sees it's not too flashy, she would love it.

She has a size 8 finger, which also adds to the equation.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I don't know whether the original poster said that his GF thought that 2 cts was too big necessarily, it could mean either too big, or that she thinks 2 cts is big and would love that size. I guess those words could be taken either way, but personally I would rather be given the choice if a larger diamond is involved.

2.gif

"The price difference is about $4k, and the girlfriend has said that she thinks 2 carats is big. But given the "shrinkage" effect, I'm not sure how much to weight that. What do you guys think? "

As someone who has larger fingers also, I would personally let her know she has a chance to get a larger diamond as she may be amazed at this opportunity and jump at it!

HEPennypacker

Rough_Rock
To clarify, she thinks that it''s big as in "possibly too flashy." But again, she hasn''t actually tried on a 2ct and the friend she was referencing has small fingers.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
She''s said it''s "big". Not necessary TOO big. You say she''s noted it''s ''POSSIBLY'' too flashy....on someone *else''s* size 4 finger (hers is a 7.)

What''s the vendor''s trade-up policy, if any? Does it require a ton of additional money spent (i.e. at least $500 more than original purchase price)?

In your position, I''d get the larger stone as long as I could trade it back (without a lot more investment) for a smaller, higher clarity stone. Tell your vendor your dilemma....I''d like to get the larger stone but worried she''ll find it overwhelming. If she does, would I be able to trade it toward a 1.6-1.8-ish stone of equal/greater value?

It''s hard to imagine a vendor wouldn''t agree to this, and then you can go with the larger stone safely. As long as she can swap it if she''s not comfortable, I don''t see a downside to going with the larger stone.

I agree with HEPenny''s suspicion that his gal might be deferring on size to make him feel better (because he knows a friend may be getting a 2ct).

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results