shape
carat
color
clarity

example, UGL vs. independent appraiser

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
Ok, as I wrote a while ago I got a diamond that had a UGL appraisal, UGL being connected to the EGL.

The ring had a marquise diamond as the center diamond,w hich the UGL appraisal claimed was an I, SI3, 1.19 carat marquise brilliant of 11.57 x 5.57 x 3.27 mm. It estimated the price of the center stone alone (the ring has 75 points of other diamonds) as $6,850.

It took a while to get an appointment (and meanwhile I got some guesses from other jewellers, which I noted in another post) but today I finally got to a GIA certified independent appraiser who comes to my area. He was very interesting to work with, as he showed me what he was doing all along, letting me look at his grading set and showing me how he came to the color conclusion, and basically walking me through the whole thing, which was very informative. He kept saying that I seemed to know a lot about diamond, which I don't, but what I do is due to Pricescope! Anyway, as I had assumed (because there is no such thing as an SI3) the diamond is actually an I1. It's not actually eyeclean, because I can see the inclusion when I look forit, but the inclusion is clear and disappears into the faceting--you would have to know its there to find it. it does not affect the integrity of the stone. It is an I1, and it is a J in color, as he showed me using the master stones and a white card. It definitely did not look like an I, when I saw it compared to that.

He gave the whole ring a value of $5,000, which is long way from jsut the center stone being $6,850, but since I bought it at a pawnshop for $1500, I was very happy with the results. I think it is a great deal to get an over 1 carat diamond for $1500, especially with prices being what they are recently! THe appraiser, as well as the other two jewellers who have looked at it, all agree that the diamond is beautiful, very lively and sparkly (it actually can compete well in for sparkle with my ACA)--but I would have been kind of angry if I hadn't had information and had believed that it really was an I, SI diamond instead of an I1 which was J or even K.

I'm rather glad it wasn't a K, not for snob reasons but for incase I ever want to resell it reasons. I imagine it would be even more difficult to resell a K, I1 than a J I1--though if someone saw the stone in person, they would want it. No one who has seen it has told me that it looks low color (but of course, they don't look from the side). They just say, That's HUGE and that SPARKLES!

nfowife

Brilliant_Rock
Interesting! That's actually not too far off in terms of grading- just one color, since SI3=I1 that was spot on. Not too bad and obviously you paid a great price for it! Enjoy it and hope you can get a good price for it when you do sell!

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks!
It's actually not in my plans to sell--but of course you never know if you might NEED to. I figure that I paid such a low price though that I have to come out ahead.
I have photos in my other computer (not functioning at the moment), hope to try to post soon.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results