shape
carat
color
clarity

Everything I need to know for buying a diamond in NYC?

Girl505

Rough_Rock
I visited NYC last year and with the recommendations of fellow pser's I visited IDJ, Good Old Gold, and Lauren B. Unfortunately, I was too hesitant to bite the bullet and make such a large purchase at that time. Equipped with more knowledge this year, I am ready to go back and finally make my purchase. I am looking for a 3-carat radiant or cushion cut diamond. I will have 3 weekdays in NYC. I'd like to know if this is enough time to get the process started? I plan to spend the first day visiting shops in the diamond district to try on rings and narrow in on the details of the setting I want. The next day would be spent visiting the top jewelers to buy from which include IDJ, Diamonds by Lauren, Lauren B, brilliantly engaged. The last day would be spent working with Steven Kirsch to build out the setting. Would this give me enough time to complete the steps to having my engagement ring built? Or would I also have to arrange an appraisal in NYC and how would that work? Additionally, prior to visiting NYC, is it possible to identify diamonds through blue nile and james allen to have IDJ call in for me? Lastly, I have found some other jewelers in NYC and wanted to know if anyone knows anything about them and if they are reputable. These include Jangmi, NYC wholesale diamonds, Mike Nekta, John Paradiso. Please also let me know if there are others I should consider and thank you all for your help!

Morenita21

Brilliant_Rock
I would add Alex Park of PARKS Fine Group. He’s on Instagram and I did everything from Canada. He was awesome and an excellent communicator. He always gave me excellent advice and his honest opinion. Also, he sent me progress pictures and messages everyday. He’s in the diamond district too in NYC.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Number one is to choose one jeweler to work with on the diamond. Of those, I'd probably go with ID Jewelry. I have never heard of the ones you mentioned last, and I have been around here for 13 years. They all have pretty much the same access to stones, so there is no point in having multiple people calling in stones for you. Make an appointment with the jeweler you choose and tell them generally what you want and a rough budget range. Then go see the diamonds. Ask for ASET images to see which stones have the best light return. I personally like cushions more than radiants, and considering those two are very different in shape, I feel like you need to make that decision before asking them to call in stones.

As far as the setting goes, I am assuming from what you said that this ring is for yourself. I think you need to spend time online looking at setting designs, because Steven K makes specific styles of settings (mostly pave), and you want to be sure he is the right one for the job. But of course look at settings at the jeweler you visit for the diamond.

If you are uncertain about setting and diamond shape, I think this will be hard to accomplish in that one trip. Spend hours on this forum. Search SK settings. Search the diamond shapes you are interested in. Look through threads with 3 ct diamonds. The more research you do ahead of time, the more your preferences should be narrowed by the time you go.

Here is a thread to get you started:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/please-show-me-your-rings-w-3ct-centers.27384/

Girl505

Rough_Rock
I am confident that I would like a radiant or cushion cut diamond but narrowing between the two is hard and ultimately depends on the diamonds I find. The micropave settings by Steven Kirsch are also exactly what I would like though im not 100% sure about specifics just yet. I have already started the process of working with some pricescope recommended jewelers and they seem to be very insistent with me about the setting. I’m not sure how I go about explaining that I’d like the setting to be done by Steven Kirsch or how that process would even get started. Would I take the stone myself uninsured to Steven or could they send it to him? How do I tell them that I don’t want to work with them on the setting? Also, how would I go about the appraisal process as well? At what point would that occur? Is there anyone that can be recommended to work with in nyc for the appraisal? Would be interested to get some advice as I’m a complete newbie and not sure how to handle this although I know other PSers have before.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am confident that I would like a radiant or cushion cut diamond but narrowing between the two is hard and ultimately depends on the diamonds I find. The micropave settings by Steven Kirsch are also exactly what I would like though im not 100% sure about specifics just yet. I have already started the process of working with some pricescope recommended jewelers and they seem to be very insistent with me about the setting. I’m not sure how I go about explaining that I’d like the setting to be done by Steven Kirsch or how that process would even get started. Would I take the stone myself uninsured to Steven or could they send it to him? How do I tell them that I don’t want to work with them on the setting? Also, how would I go about the appraisal process as well? At what point would that occur? Is there anyone that can be recommended to work with in nyc for the appraisal? Would be interested to get some advice as I’m a complete newbie and not sure how to handle this although I know other PSers have before.
Honestly I think given that you are new to this process, I would do one of 2 things.

1. Find someone who can do both stone and setting . Victor canera comes to mind, as he does spectacular micropave settings.
2. Be up front with Jewelers. If you are working with a ps vendor, they will understand and shouldn't give you a hard time. Tell them you want Steven to make the setting. Period. No hesitatuon. If they are trustworthy then they will understand. Call Steven to ask how ppl typically get diamonds to him. My guess is that the jeweler would send the stone (you would pay for shipping). You would need the stone insured first (I think), but Steven will have all of this info.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Given the ring you want is a custom job by Steven Kirsh, why not buy the diamond from them as well? What you want is relatively unusual and nearly everyone is going to have to bring something in for you anyway. Don't expect someone to have a big inventory of things of 3-carat cushions you can choose from. The dealer is more like you ally in the hunt for just the right stone than some sort of a warehouse where you pick one out after comparing dozens of stones.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results