shape
carat
color
clarity

Everyday coloured stone with great sparkle..

lozzie80

Rough_Rock
Hi experts..I could keep searching and searching but I know you guys know the answers.
I am looking for a ring that will be used everyday so needs to be relatively hard.
I do love coloured stones, but I want whatever I choose to have a sparkle.
The stones that I have searched that have a similar fire to a diamond do not appear to be hardy enough for everyday use...
In terms of colour I prefer greens and blues...
but would also consider a pink.
So grateful for your help!
L

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
Edward's the expert :) so you have top tips there.

I assume you want a stone that sparkles more than sapphire since sapphire is obviously the hardiest of cs?

Zircon is one of the few stones more brilliant than the diamond (but apparently brittle?)
Then demantoid garnet, followed by tsavorite, followed by other garnets like Malaya (but demantoid is soft)
Then spinel
Then tanzanite (also soft)
I don't really find tourmaline more sparkly than sapphire, but maybe I haven't seen any good ones in person (also not considered that hardy?)

So I guess... spinel or tsavorite? Since lurking on this forum, I've learnt a lot about spinels and they've shot up to the top of my "to acquire" list now.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
You won't find the sparkle of diamonds in anything but diamonds. Have you looked at FCDs (colored diamonds)?

Colored stones generally do not have the diamond-type fire but provide other sorts of beauty. Buyers must decide if the glitter of a diamond is what they want, or the depth & variety of colors & shades in colored stones; it's an individual preference.

Sapphires come in the colors you like. Spinels are okay for everyday wear & you can find them in gorgeous pink, red, orange, blue, black, & combinations thereof. Chrysoberyl is a very bright sparkly, usually yellow/yellow green, stone that can take everyday wear & far more beautiful IRL than pictures can convey.

Zircon sparkles, though it's not a good everyday stone, easy to chip or crack. Garnets also come in greens & pinks -- again, if worn everyday, need TLC. Tourmalines can be found in a rainbow of colors, but unless you're very easy on rings, not recommended for daily use & don't sparkle like diamonds. Their colors & tones are endlessly fascinating & rewarding & the variety of cuts available.

Have you read the sticky on top of this forum page, "New to colored gemstone buying..."? Take a peek at that & see if it helps you choose.

Is there a shape you like best? What size are you looking for? Budget?

--- Laurie

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
Spinel would be a good option especially since you are ok with pink. Blue Spinel tends to be very dark and the ones that aren't cost an arm and a leg. I don't recall ever seeing a green Spinel, that would be cool though.

airplay355

Shiny_Rock
Go with a precision cut stone. Those always sparkle way more because the angles are correct for the species of stone.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrysoberyls might also work for you as they are safe for daily wear and also have great sparkle and flash - but color-wise, I think their greens have a yellow component as well. They are very bright though and the finer greens have a neon-ish green Gatorade-type color (to my eyes).

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I'd choose a blue or purple spinel. They're hard enough for everyday wear and have good luster and dispersion, especially when precision cut.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are sphenes too soft

airplay355

Shiny_Rock
Yup, Sphene is too soft.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
How about a Merelani mint garnet? I love mine and I've actually had a couple of jewelers mistake it for a green diamond.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Unless you can afford a colored diamond I'd say a spinel. Sapphire is harder and lovely too, but I think spinel is a real sparkler. Certain garnets can be very sparkly too. But on the softer side so maybe not right for everyday.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
jstarfireb|1370899326|3462913 said:
I'd choose a blue or purple spinel. They're hard enough for everyday wear and have good luster and dispersion, especially when precision cut.

Ditto. The right cut is going to make a difference.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1370874226|3462617 said:
You won't find the sparkle of diamonds in anything but diamonds. Have you looked at FCDs (colored diamonds)?

Colored stones generally do not have the diamond-type fire but provide other sorts of beauty. Buyers must decide if the glitter of a diamond is what they want, or the depth & variety of colors & shades in colored stones; it's an individual preference.

Sapphires come in the colors you like. Spinels are okay for everyday wear & you can find them in gorgeous pink, red, orange, blue, black, & combinations thereof. Chrysoberyl is a very bright sparkly, usually yellow/yellow green, stone that can take everyday wear & far more beautiful IRL than pictures can convey.

Zircon sparkles, though it's not a good everyday stone, easy to chip or crack. Garnets also come in greens & pinks -- again, if worn everyday, need TLC. Tourmalines can be found in a rainbow of colors, but unless you're very easy on rings, not recommended for daily use & don't sparkle like diamonds. Their colors & tones are endlessly fascinating & rewarding & the variety of cuts available.

Have you read the sticky on top of this forum page, "New to colored gemstone buying..."? Take a peek at that & see if it helps you choose.

Is there a shape you like best? What size are you looking for? Budget?

--- Laurie
Yeah. Zircons are gorgeous. But not for every day. In fact if your like me ( very hard on your rings ) I'd save a stone like that for pendants and earrings.

lozzie80

Rough_Rock
Agh I just typed reply then saved it as a draft and can't recover it!

Anyway, thank you so much everyone for your input, I was so excited to log on and see that I had received 13 replies!

I think it's down to the spinel or sapphire...with cut being a key factor. the other gems, while stunning, eg Mint Gelati Garnet are too soft for use in a ring....and Chrysoberyl is a bit too yellow for me.

My budget is $2k including the setting. I prefer emerald cut, cushion or ascher.

Suggest away if you would like to!! I am about to go hunting now!
Thanks all

MAC-W

Brilliant_Rock
lozzie80|1371029686|3464041 said:
Agh I just typed reply then saved it as a draft and can't recover it!

Anyway, thank you so much everyone for your input, I was so excited to log on and see that I had received 13 replies!

I think it's down to the spinel or sapphire...with cut being a key factor. the other gems, while stunning, eg Mint Gelati Garnet are too soft for use in a ring....and Chrysoberyl is a bit too yellow for me.

My budget is $2k including the setting. I prefer emerald cut, cushion or ascher.

Suggest away if you would like to!! I am about to go hunting now!
Thanks all

What size (mm) of stone are you looking for? How intense do you want the colour to be? And what type setting (plain - fancy) are you thinking about?

These things will dictate the type of gemstone you can consider for your budget.

lozzie80

Rough_Rock
Thanks again everyone.

Airplay - that pink spinel is pretty! I am definitely leaning towards spinel now given the price is so much better than sapphire. I also really love the girl Freke? who has a beautiful near colourless spinel set in a six prong tiffany style setting. That is actually exactly what I want in a round cut.

Similarly if it was an emerald or cushion I would still want a simple setting.

If I did get a beautiful colour as the centre stone, I would choose something like this

http://www.musson.com.au/products/envy

although would want a thinner band.

In terms of colour I like:
- Colorless
- Teal blue
- Cobalt blue
- Pale pink

As a general rule, I don't like pale colours, but I don't like the vibrant pinks in the spinel.

Also LOVE that emerald green, but concerned about wearing it as an everyday piece.

I think up to 1.5 carats? But pretty flexible.

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
If you like colorless, you should like the nearly colorless Gemfix spinel we talked Maevemarie out of buying :loopy: in her case, I think she would prefer more color. But you are describing that kind of stone as perfect, so maybe you would see it as ideal?

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Davi|1371089155|3464684 said:

You know OP, having seen Davi's purchases in the way of ebay stones for a while now, I would seriously consider his recommendations, as he has a phenomenal eye for interpreting a photo or video and the stones he has chosen seem to be quite impressive irl. Just saying!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
peacechick|1371077133|3464575 said:
If you like colorless, you should like the nearly colorless Gemfix spinel we talked Maevemarie out of buying :loopy: in her case, I think she would prefer more color. But you are describing that kind of stone as perfect, so maybe you would see it as ideal?
That's what I thought too!

Thanks for the lovely compliment, I very much appreciate it! That is one of my favorite pieces and was crafted by Mark Morrell, aka MWM, who is a master.

http://www.gemfix.com/spinel.html

MAC-W

Brilliant_Rock
Some options

Teal blue
http://www.gemfix.com/sapphire_montana.html
Order/Stock No.: sapphire_montana_343
Still leaves you $360 to buy a LOGR setting or equivalent

Cobalt blue
http://www.gemfix.com/sapphire_blue.html
Order/Stock No.: sapphire_blue_1103
Uses pretty much all your budget but you could get a plain silver setting for on eBay or etsy for not a lot of money and a fancier setting later on.

Almost Colourless (very light pale blue)
http://www.swalagemtraders.com/search-gems/detail.php?pid=2082&cPage=2&sort=&perpage=8&cat=&display1=0&display2=0&display3=0&category=9&variety=&key=&match=&indicate=&reserve_type=&pagefrom=search
Leaves you nearly $1600 for your setting.

Regards
Mac

_7144.jpg

_7146.jpg

_7147.jpg

wordie89

Brilliant_Rock
If you like violet Jim Rentfrow has a big cushion cut spinel for about $1500. His site is Flawless Facets. he does say it shifts a little to more purpleish so you'd want to ask him about it. I wish I had wherewithal for it! :love:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
wordie89|1371135882|3464982 said:
If you like violet Jim Rentfrow has a big cushion cut spinel for about $1500. His site is Flawless Facets. he does say it shifts a little to more purpleish so you'd want to ask him about it. I wish I had wherewithal for it! :love:

Wordie: Great recommendation! It looks to be very pretty if that color is accurate. Wow, I wouldn't mind owning that one! :))

lozzie80

Rough_Rock
Wordie89 I can't find the flawless facets one? do you have a direct link you could PM me?

Thank you MAC W - I love those gems you picked! Need to make a decision...would be good to see a spinel in real life to be honest! Maybe some shopping this weekend.

FrekeChild I noticed you mentioned you took ages to pick out the perfect spinel...what do you think of the Swala gems one and also the Gemfix one? I emailed Gemfix but that is the only photo they have?? Also the ebay listing that Davi recommended?

Davi that emerald cut one was beautiful and a bargain. I really like the colourless...it's a bit scary buying off ebay though!

Vidalia

Shiny_Rock
Is this spinel from Gemfix too much color for you? I think the cut lends it lots of sparkle!

spinel_257.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
If I were choosing between the Gemfix and the Swala, I'd go with Swala. I think it has less body color and I like the cut more. I just happened on mine-Barry had posted it in a drop and no one grabbed it, so it was still available the day after the drop. The only think that would make it better is if it was double the size.

MAC-W

Brilliant_Rock
lozzie80|1371210382|3465669 said:
Wordie89 I can't find the flawless facets one? do you have a direct link you could PM me?

Thank you MAC W - I love those gems you picked! Need to make a decision...would be good to see a spinel in real life to be honest! Maybe some shopping this weekend.

FrekeChild I noticed you mentioned you took ages to pick out the perfect spinel...what do you think of the Swala gems one and also the Gemfix one? I emailed Gemfix but that is the only photo they have?? Also the ebay listing that Davi recommended?

Davi that emerald cut one was beautiful and a bargain. I really like the colourless...it's a bit scary buying off ebay though!

Maybe your shopping this weekend could be this? http://gemcal.com/fancy-spinel-1-31-cts-2712.. At only $95 it's worth a punt and will let you see a spinel in real life. You might even like it enough to set it?

Mac

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results