shape
carat
color
clarity

Eventful day -- 5 kittens!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Went to a family event today and was told about a litter of kittens. Stray/feral. The neighbors are upset by them. Would rather they be dead than where they are.

So.... We got a safe live trap and a carrier. Have four caught safely and working on #5 now. They are coming home with me tonight and I am scrambling to coordinate with some great no kill rescue groups to find a foster home until they can be adopted.

Maybe 6 weeks?

WooHoooo!!!! Just got the last one!!!

0924161324_hdr.jpg

Q

Queenie60

You're very kind to take care of this situation. Mother cat should be trapped, spayed and released so more aren't born. They multiply quite fast. You're a good person. :angel:

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
What a wonderful thing to do. Thanks for sharing! I second that you are a good person.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Quick update

Got all 5 caught safely. No others around. One neighbor says a mama cat comes in the evening, most neighbors say no mama cat seem for awhile.

Hoping the one good neighbor is able to catch mama if she is around so we can do a TNR

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
GREAT job. You just made a HUGE impact in 6 lives today!

If they are about 6 weeks this is THE WEEK for them to get primary socialization. I caught my Frodo right at 6 weeks. He bit my thumb, but otherwise adapted really quickly to petting and snuggles. And it made a huge difference as he got older.

If you can, please don't lock them away somewhere without human interaction. Pick them up, stroke their heads, tails, and bellies. Hold their paws, even when they try to pull away (gently though, if they struggle let them go).

Talk to them. See if you can get them to cuddle.

Get them some kitten milk and some baby cat food (they have wet food, by Royal Canin that is actually 'baby cat' food).

The more they get used to being handled and loved by humans the better they will adapt to life as a companion animal.

I would totally help you if I was close by.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You did a wonderful thing today Too Patient!!!! They are so cute.

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
Yay! You did such a wonderful thing to help these little ones out! :appl: :appl: :appl: You are pawsome! :clap:

I second Gypsy in saying it's really important to get them used to being handled as soon as you can. I've had a few feral litters that we took in and getting them socialized is a big step on the path to making sure they are adoptable. This thread made my day! It's so nice to see all the ways PS members help make the world a better place! :dance:

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I called a friend who does a lot of animal rescue stuff and got the number of a great shelter. They are guaranteed no kill. They don't pass off to other shelters. Vet exam going in plus any treatment needed. Fostered together in a home trained in socializing kittens. Vaccines and super careful adoption with spay/neuter contract.

We have our hands full with 4 cats and 2 dogs (still integrating newest dog) and since we both work full time... The kitties deserve to be loved and handled and socialized so they can have the happiest/healthiest lives possible.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you all for the kind words. My mom and I spent all day catching them. I have them home with me tonight (after 3.5 hour drive) then to the shelter (see above post) tomorrow.

For now, I need to get them a fluffy little towel and some more food.

Pictures to come later...

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
WONDERFUL!

Oh, I am so happy you have such a great shelter where you live. I won't tell you what it takes to get them to do intakes here.

You rock honey. I am so happy you already have arrangements to get them the car they need.

If that happened here I would have to give a kidney just to get someone to notice and listen.

Where do you live? Just wondering.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Seattle area

Was over in the Moses Lake area when I trapped. Nothing like this there either.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Many of the shelters arou d here are no kill. The others are mostly around a 13% kill rate. So many awesome rescue groups here!

They are full right now with so many, but I knew to get through to a volunteer who could point me to smaller groups with room.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh. I love that. So much.

CA is... great in a lot of ways. But when it comes to animals and shelters. Not so much.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah... I have heard they are not so good. We have some groups up here that bring animals from California to try to save some.

The rescue group our newest came from goes to Louisiana and pulls dogs out of shelters with 80%+ kill rates.

I can't imagine! We would have a hard time caring for these 5 and being stuck choosing between stretching time/money way beyond ability or surrendering would be impossible. We need more TNR programs and spay/neuter/rescue awareness all over. So sad the animals who don't have good forever homes!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree with you. 100%.

I wish there was more of an effort to educate people statewide to neuter and spay their animals.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Only store open when we got back was Safeway. Managed to get a grain free wet food that is pretty reasonable. They are every last nibble of SIX 1.3 ounce cans before I decided I better get to the store for more.

I don't think they had eaten today except the tuna we used to trap and some more after we caught them. So they had the six cans when we got them home (8pm) and I just gave them four more before I go to bed (1am).
Will feed again when I get up (8:30am) and possibly again before the shelter depending on when we leave and if they are hungry.

Can you count all five kitties?

0925160041b_hdr.jpg

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh! They are not as resistant to being handled as they seemed. I needed to get one out to make sure he/she was okay as he had hardly moved and wasn't eating. All shy away from touch, but not freak out. The one even snuggled into my hand once I got him up. I did get him to eat and he seems to be doing a lot better now.

Would love to keep one or two (or all...) But we have 4 cats and 2 dogs (all rescues) already taking every bit of energy and money we have. So much as I want, I know I have to be responsible and help them get to where they will all have great homes.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awww so happy you are doing this Too Patient! Thank you!!!!
It sounds like you might be able to socialize the kitties and that would make them adoptable.
I hope you can find someone to help you.
Wishing you all the best success in finding them loving homes. (((HUGS))) to you and the kitties.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Going to miss the cute, but I know the foster family will take good care of them and the shelter will find awesome homes for them (see my post above for shelter details).

I am going to get them cleaned up some (they didn't use litter and soaked the towel so they are all wet with water dish water and urine) and clean everything up for them.

Heading in with them in a few hours.

Q

Queenie60

Bless you TooPatient! You're so wonderful for taking care of these babies. Wish there were more kind people in this world. So glad you found a no kill shelter for them. I've rescued several cats over the past few years and each cat costs a minimum of $350 to have my local "cat lady" take them in and get them out to foster. Most of our "no kill" shelters are full throughout the year. I feel that this is what I need to do to give back to the animal community! So happy they crossed paths with you and your mother. :wavey:

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I miss the kittens but know I made the right choice. They need care through the day and I have to work. They also likely have a parasite or something based on the poo I saw. The shelter is getting them all cleaned up and healthy in a great setting.

I also loved the negative reviews I saw of the place. People get really upset when they aren't allowed to adopt a kitten just because they want one. The screening is careful and they also base decisions on how you interact and the feeling they get. (btw, if you comment to the shelter staff that it isn't like they are placing kids, I mean it is "just cats" then you sure should not be adopting!)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results