shape
carat
color
clarity

Evaluating a Round H&A

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Geo

Rough_Rock
I'm a long-time reader, first time poster who is looking for council on a purchase.I want to give you all the details you need so I apologize in advance for the long posting.I have been relying on the Sarin and GIA information to help me evaluate stones, but I’ve come across an apparent discrepancy well beyond my ability to resolve.

I have an acquaintance whose wife's family is in the diamond wholesaling business, specializing in H&A diamonds (they supply to name-brand H&A like Hearts on Fire, etc.).Several friends of mine used her to find stones that made them and their fiancées happy.However, going through this source means that I won’t be able to see stones in person before purchase because the diamonds are physically in /www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]brussels/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img].That doesn’t bother me too much because, not being a gemologist, I don’t think I could tell anything in person besides “ooh! It’s shiny!”

Here is the GIA information:

ShapeRound Brilliant
Measure8.81-8.85
Weight2.51 Ct
Depth60.5%
Table56%
PolishExcellent
SymmetryExcellent
ClarityVVS2
ColorG
Fluorescencenone
Commentsnone

Here is the Sarin information:

Weight2.514 Ct
Dia(mm)8.82 (8.79-8.85)
Total depth% 60.5
Crown angle33.9 (33.5 – 34.2)
Crown height% 14.6 (14.3 – 14.8 )
Pavil Angle40.6 (40.3 – 41.0)
Pavil Depth42.8 (42.5 – 43.2)
Culet% 0.3
Table size56.2 (56.0 – 56.4)
Girdle1.4 % (1.0 – 1.7) medium faceted
Proportion0

Price$28,245

The angles seem to be close to ideal and the Holloway Cut Advisor gives it an overall “Excellent” (0.6).However, I’m concerned about an apparent discrepancy in the symmetry.In applying the rule of thumb “Crown height + Pavilion depth + Max Culet Thickness = Total depth”, I get 58.8% vs. 60.5%, a difference of 1.7%.I’ve been told that any discrepancy over 0.5% is a red flag.I asked for the extended Sarin report that shows all 8 values thinking that might clarify things, but for each parameter the values seemed to vary A LOT (e.g., Pavilion Angle between 40.2 and 46.8 ).I suspect that either the Sairn machine has calibration issues or I’ve completely misunderstood the significance of the data.My questions are:

1)How should I reconcile the “Excellent” symmetry on the GIA certificate with the failure to pan out on the “rule of thumb” and the suspiciously large ranges on the extended Sarin report?Is this cause for concern?

2)I know I’m paying for more clarity than I need (I’d be happy with VS2), but is $28,245 a decent price?Their warranty allows you to return the stone at any time for your money back or towards an exchange.

Thanks for your patience and any advice you can give me on making a decision that's big, both financially and emotionally!/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
-----------
How should I reconcile the “Excellent” symmetry on
the GIA certificate with the failure to pan out on
the “rule of thumb” and the suspiciously large
ranges on the extended Sarin report? Is this cause
for concern?
-----------

Geo, the number discrepancy you're encountering is because the girdle measurements reported are taken from the "valleys" of the girdle, instead of the "peaks". There's usually a +1.7% additional measurement accounting for the distance from the valleys to the peaks, which would make your numbers kosher.

-----------
I know I’m paying for more clarity than I need (I’d
be happy with VS2), but is $28,245 a decent price?
Their warranty allows you to return the stone at
any time for your money back or towards an exchange.
-----------

Yes, the price is reasonable. It's inline with internet pricing, which is cheaper than what you would find it sold for in most "bricks & mortar" stores.

In addition, the diamond scores very nicely on the DiamCalc Light Return Analysis, with a vibrant IdealScope simulated image:

A possible image is recreated with the DiamCalc software showing the following light return analysis:

Light Return (mono)…...: 0.99 Very Good
Light Return (stereo)…..: 0.97 Very Good
(Non) Leakage (mono)..: 0.98 Very Good
(Non) Leakage (stereo).: 1.04 Very Good
Contrast............................: 0.98 Very Good
(Non) FishEye Effect…...: 1.00 Very Good

-----------
IdealScope- In general, the darker pink areas indicate areas of greater light return, with the lighter pink areas indicating areas of lesser light return. The black areas indicate areas of greater contrast, with the gray areas indicating areas of lesser contrast. The white areas indicate areas of light leakage. A good explanation of the IdealScope image along with examples can be found at https://www.pricescope.com/idealscope_indx.asp

Disclaimer- The facet arrangement and symmetry of the image will probably vary from your actual diamond, which may affect the light performance indicated. The computer generates an image with “perfect” symmetry, which is rare. Also, the star/lower girdle facet lengths may be different from your diamond. The computer simulation is reproduced best when the actual diamond is being viewed and the image "tweaked" to the appearance of the diamond, or Sarin info is downloaded directly into the program. However, this "blind" reproduction should be helpful in considering the major light performance aspects..
-----------

2.51 RBC- Geo.jpg

Geo

Rough_Rock
Thanks Rich! I could hardly have hoped for a more thorough reply than that. I have tried to read and read, but it still seems like each stone has some particular characteristic that requires the opinion of an expert to decipher. I really appreciate your being so generous with your time and advice.

Of course, anyone else weighing in would be appreciated, too. It's a strange world that has us making such a major financial decision on something that's so difficult for a "layman" to value.

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful stone!!!!!!! As Rich said, usually crown + pavilion + girdle = depth - 1.6%, so 1.7% is absolutely ok... Price is good... I'm sure you'll be very pleased with such a stone!!!!!!!!!

Geo

Rough_Rock
Giangi,

It's great to hear that you agree with Rich's assessment. In a decision as big as this, confirmation will be critical in keeping me from second-guessing myself down the road. Thank you.

Wish me luck; I was away on business for a week since she told me about the stone, and now I have to hope that she's still holding it for me!

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
I'm crossing my fingers... Good luck!
2.gif
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results