shape
carat
color
clarity

Etsy Buy - keep or return?

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought I could save $$ by buying a non-branded eternity ring and this one looked nice. But when it came it was just not everything I had hoped for. The diamonds are clean, but don't sparkle a lot, the milgrain feels rough, and there are 2 places where the design doesn't match because little bits were added to make the ring the right size.
There was a good return policy on the website [supposedly NY based], but when I wanted to return it I was told that it has to be shipped to China, but not insured because of customs charges. It cost $350. It's not a terrible ring, and for all I know the 1200 bands I've been looking at online are not that much different in appearance. The diamonds are g/VS and in general the ring is sturdy and well-made. Don't know whether to keep it or send overseas with fingers crossed.
Here is the Etsy photo and then a photo of the actual ring I got.
il_570xn_60.jpg p1090207.jpg
p1090202_0.jpg

makemepretty

Brilliant_Rock
Return it, that's not worth keeping. No matter what they say, insure it so you won't be out any money if it gets lost and you'll have proof that they received it.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I've looked at that ring myself because I do a lot of shopping on Etsy (I've purchased many stacking rings and two diamond wedding bands). I've only had one negative experience and it was similar to yours (poor quality). Mine turned into an absolute nightmare to resolve, but that was mostly the result of an unprofessional seller. As far as your ring is concerned, I would not be happy with the quality either. The diamonds looks terrible (maybe it's just the picture?). Overall, your ring just looks very poorly made and I would want to return it. Does their return policy state (on their Etsy site) that returns have to be made to China? If not, I would question them on that. I'm sorry this happened OP, but go with your gut on this one, which is telling you that you that the ring is not right.

makemepretty

Brilliant_Rock
Also, if it was shipped to you from the U.S. I would demand to ship it back to that same address. Just keep fighting to get what you want and if need be, have Etsy help you.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the advice. I've written to the vendor asking if I can mail the ring to NY. However, I think their "NY address" on Etsy is not real. The ring was mailed from China.
All their reviews were outstanding : ( Buyer beware - huh.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
One thing that I have learned about Etsy is that you can make all the demands you want, but they don't have to do anything about it. It's not like EBay - you can't open a case against the seller, etc. Unless I'm missing something, there's a limited amount of things that you can do if you are not satisfied. Mnay sellers are decent and will try to work with you, but the difficult ones do exist and when you encounter them, things can get ugly pretty quickly. Also, was the ring customized in any way? Many sellers won't accept returns on items that they consider to be custom. The poor quality necklace that I received was "custom" simply because I ordered a slightly longer length chain. My only option was to keep the original necklace or ship back the necklace and have the seller repair the defects (although, she would never admit that there were actually any defects). Obviously, I was mortified that I actually had to work with the seller (because with her bad attitude, I really didn't want to give her any business), but unless I wanted to be completely ripped off, it was my only option.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They will take the ring back - but I have to pay $30 labor costs, plus shipping. They told me to declare the value at $20 and call it a sample - otherwise it takes forever to go through customs and costs a lot.
The upside is that at least I was able to give a warning to PSer who might be looking at these rings.
It's not a terrible ring at all, just not up to the standards I've come to expect. It's better than Zales by a long shot :lol:

One interesting note - I bought the ring shown on their website and when I asked if the diamonds would sparkle, they immediately wrote back and said I'd better upgrade the diamonds. So this is their upgrade! The design is pretty [[[[sigh]]]].

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope you get a higher quality of that same style- I really like how it looks with your ER!

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Try Diamondzone - at least they're in USA......................

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jimmianne|1398430596|3659774 said:
They will take the ring back - but I have to pay $30 labor costs, plus shipping. They told me to declare the value at $20 and call it a sample - otherwise it takes forever to go through customs and costs a lot. The upside is that at least I was able to give a warning to PSer who might be looking at these rings. It's not a terrible ring at all, just not up to the standards I've come to expect. It's better than Zales by a long shot :lol:

One interesting note - I bought the ring shown on their website and when I asked if the diamonds would sparkle, they immediately wrote back and said I'd better upgrade the diamonds. So this is their upgrade! The design is pretty [[[[sigh]]]].

It sounds like the typical Chinese made settings sold on eBay. I think insuring it also does little good because the insurance only covers shipping from the US. Once it gets to China, I think the insurance is no longer valid? I recall discussions like this in the CS forum because we deal with a lot of overseas shipping/returns. Stating it as a "sample" on the custom list also discourages theft.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
While you need to be careful, jewelry from China does not automatically imply poor quality. I purchased an 18K gold ring setting from China unsure about what I would receive, and it ended up exceeding my expectations. The quality is excellent and I was 100% satisfied. Sure, crap from China does exist, but so does crap from the US. You just need to shop carefully by doing your research, no matter where you shop...

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Jimmianne|1398430596|3659774 said:
They will take the ring back - but I have to pay $30 labor costs, plus shipping. They told me to declare the value at $20 and call it a sample - otherwise it takes forever to go through customs and costs a lot.
The upside is that at least I was able to give a warning to PSer who might be looking at these rings.
It's not a terrible ring at all, just not up to the standards I've come to expect. It's better than Zales by a long shot :lol:

Did you inquire about whether or not you actually received the upgraded diamond version? Maybe they manufactured the standard version by mistake? That stinks that you have to pay extra to have the job done right - it that listed in their store policies?

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I must be blind because honestly ... that ring doesn't look so bad to me especially for that price.

Some of these settings coming out of China ebay sellers are looking pretty fantastic. I liked them enough 4-5 years ago when you can grab them for under a $100. Now at $300-$400 .. they are still looking pretty good. Scary enough .. I am venturing on another custom project with them despite my previous failures. I like settings (and have high standards) but for fun pieces I can lower my standards based on price.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
[/quote]Did you inquire about whether or not you actually received the upgraded diamond version? Maybe they manufactured the standard version by mistake? That stinks that you have to pay extra to have the job done right - it that listed in their store policies?[/quote]

Pretty sure I got the upgrade - the stones are clear. The "regular" price is for SI.
By the way, upon checking back I realize I paid $315, not $350.
When I mail ordered a stacking ring from Zales recently, it had grey diamonds and one was cracked in half. It took 3 weeks to ship and the return was a nightmare.
This vendor is 99% better...however I may have to keep the ring.

I've learned my lesson!
There's a band on WF I want and would have been better off just buying the darned thing instead of fooling around :))

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Keep it and enjoy it. You will find an opportunity to wear this pretty band (even if just as a travel ring).

It is very pretty.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
CharmyPoo|1398436164|3659837 said:
I must be blind because honestly ... that ring doesn't look so bad to me especially for that price.

Some of these settings coming out of China ebay sellers are looking pretty fantastic. I liked them enough 4-5 years ago when you can grab them for under a $100. Now at $300-$400 .. they are still looking pretty good. Scary enough .. I am venturing on another custom project with them despite my previous failures. I like settings (and have high standards) but for fun pieces I can lower my standards based on price.

thanks, Charmy. I felt the same way, that's it's OK, just not WOW, so I found faults. But for the price....!
I could get a sterling "faux" but then it would have to be polished all the time. The ones I covet locally run from 1200-2400.
I'm looking for "the band" to go with "the diamond", so I've been buying mostly fakes to try out, but this one looked so good on the website I could not resist.

This won't be the first time someone on PS talked me down off a ledge :lol:

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
CharmyPoo|1398436536|3659842 said:
Keep it and enjoy it. You will find an opportunity to wear this pretty band (even if just as a travel ring).

It is very pretty.

thanks, Charmy. I wrote back to you before I read this.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, I'd probably list and sell as is rather than risk sending to China. Take a little loss and be done with it. I think the caveat is...you get what you pay for most of the time. I'd rather pay for Beverley K and have heirloom quality in the long run.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
For $315, it'n not awful… It actually looks pretty decent with your e-ring. Unless someone is inspecting it, they will probably not notice the overall quality, although I understand exactly what you mean about the diamonds not having the sparkle that you were hoping for:( Oh well, like you said, lesson-learned. Try to enjoy your new ring =)

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
motownmama|1398431631|3659784 said:
I hope you get a higher quality of that same style- I really like how it looks with your ER!

thanks!

Maybe the ring is not so bad - the one on diamondzone looks exactly like it, only a plain spacer bar where mine has an extra "leaf".

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for sharing your experience Jimmianne. I understand where you're coming from, I have been agonizing between a ring from one of the Chinese vendors and an identical one from Bev K - I am…a bit frugal :cheeky: , and it kills me a little to pay so much for a small band. Constantly asking myself and comparing pics - is it worth the extra money? Your experience has given me food for thought.

Anyway, enough of my problems lol - I'm sorry the quality isn't what you had hoped, but I agree with others that it is a pretty ring for the money. It's probably easier at this point to keep it and enjoy it, or sell it, rather than go through the hassle of returning. It really does look very nice with your ering!

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
junebug17|1398439705|3659873 said:
Thank you for sharing your experience Jimmianne. I understand where you're coming from, I have been agonizing between a ring from one of the Chinese vendors and an identical one from Bev K - I am…a bit frugal :cheeky: , and it kills me a little to pay so much for a small band. Constantly asking myself and comparing pics - is it worth the extra money? Your experience has given me food for thought.

Anyway, enough of my problems lol - I'm sorry the quality isn't what you had hoped, but I agree with others that it is a pretty ring for the money. It's probably easier at this point to keep it and enjoy it, or sell it, rather than go through the hassle of returning. It really does look very nice with your ering!

I understand frugal. I look at those bands and think -how cost something so little cost so much! The band I REALLY want I saw locally - it looks like Bev.K, but has 5 larger diamonds - the kind that are smooth & rounded, not cut, mixed in with the pave on rose gold. It is gorgeous - and it's $2400. ugh.
Which Bev.K band would you get???

hathalove

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Sorry about the crappy experience. I personally would either keep the band or sell at a small loss. I mean if it's going to cost $30 plus shipping to china easily $30 again and then "hope" that it arrives? No. Just drop that amount or more off the price knowing that it will get to the buyer for sure. Hmmmm and what WF band were you trying to ignore? I just bought a pair of earrings trying to distract myself from more expensive purchases that I cannot afford right now. :???:

Plus the BGD Mother's Day email just came out today but I don't think it's as good as last years?

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
hathalove|1398441753|3659885 said:
Sorry about the crappy experience. I personally would either keep the band or sell at a small loss. I mean if it's going to cost $30 plus shipping to china easily $30 again and then "hope" that it arrives? No. Just drop that amount or more off the price knowing that it will get to the buyer for sure. Hmmmm and what WF band were you trying to ignore? I just bought a pair of earrings trying to distract myself from more expensive purchases that I cannot afford right now. :???:

Plus the BGD Mother's Day email just came out today but I don't think it's as good as last years?

:wavey: thanks, Hathalove.
I bought a few sterling "trial rings" and I like the idea of a curve [this ring was $20 and is made to perfection, so one can get good Etsy stuff!]:
p1090156.jpg

WF has several rings with a single curve to accommodate a solitaire, and I would love to have more ACAs - even if they are tiny.
The nice thing about the solitaire is that there are endless ways to dress it up. =)

WIll have to check out the sale - JA is having one for Mother's Day too. Mothers deserve much beautiful jewelry!!

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
MissBliss|1398460659|3660064 said:
I'd return it; it looks nothing like the listing photo, other than a vague resemblance. It looks flimsy, too. I think it's sheisty that vendors on Etsy are allowed to have their settings created by "overseas" jewelers and state that they're based in the US. I dont know, just my opinion.

MissBliss, I know what you mean, but the delicacy is an illusion. It's substantial: p1090223.jpg

What you said about vendors claiming they are one place but really somewhere else makes sense.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jimmianne|1398440183|3659877 said:
I understand frugal. I look at those bands and think -how cost something so little cost so much! The band I REALLY want I saw locally - it looks like Bev.K, but has 5 larger diamonds - the kind that are smooth & rounded, not cut, mixed in with the pave on rose gold. It is gorgeous - and it's $2400. ugh.

I know…believe me, I feel your pain!

This is the one I have my eyeballs on - ironically, I think it's the least expensive band on the Pearlman's site lol! It's the same design as the sides of my ering, and I love the touch of color of the sapphires - LOGR has the same style for much less - most of me is saying that since I'll be wearing this as my wedding set to just knock it off and go for the bev k but I just can't seem to pull the trigger! :wacko:

I apologize for the threadjack, thank you for letting me chat in your thread!

Again, I'm so sorry you're disappointed in the band; looked at your pics again, and it really does look pretty with your ering - have you decided what you're going to do or still mulling it over?

02pp13.jpg

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
junebug17|1398464092|3660102 said:
Jimmianne|1398440183|3659877 said:

I know…believe me, I feel your pain!

This is the one I have my eyeballs on - ironically, I think it's the least expensive band on the Pearlman's site lol! It's the same design as the sides of my ering, and I love the touch of color of the sapphires - LOGR has the same style for much less - most of me is saying that since I'll be wearing this as my wedding set to just knock it off and go for the bev k but I just can't seem to pull the trigger! :wacko:

I apologize for the threadjack, thank you for letting me chat in your thread!

Again, I'm so sorry you're disappointed in the band; looked at your pics again, and it really does look pretty with your ering - have you decided what you're going to do or still mulling it over?

This is good. I would much rather talk about beautiful bands - I love the one you are looking at.

I cleaned mine - it looks better.
It doesn't have a lot of bling, but everything can't be amazing :love: - - - especially for $300 dollars. [getting philosophical].

braga123

Brilliant_Rock
Shipping overseas would be the dealbreaker for me. I would rather wear it on my right hand, stack it with other bands, IF and only IF it was drawing attention away from my ERING. 300 dollars is a lot to lose if it never makes it to China, but not a lot to lose if you actually get wear out of the ring. Plus, you can always resell it later at a loss, but at least you got to wear it for a while. I vote keep it!
ETA: and please post more pictures of the set!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results