shape
carat
color
clarity

Eternity rings-your thought/opinions

April20

Ideal_Rock
I was wondering what people's thoughts/opinions are on eternity ring and bands.

I get them.... And I don't get them. For channel set bands or bands with bezel set stones, I get them. You never have to worry if it's turned correctly, it's always "right".

For larger carat weight shared prong and similar rings, well I don't get them. I think it's the side of my that doesn't understand paying for something that you're not going to see often as you're wearing it, especially if the ring is such that it doesn't have a tendency to spin.

I've seen at least one 3 three stone ring that was made with a larger carat weight eternity band-maybe .20pt stones (cannot remember who it belongs to). It's beautiful, but I really don't get it. It just seems like a significant amount of spend for something you're really not going to see much. And I worry about damaging the stones.

All this being said, I do have a cheapy bezel set eternity band that I wear and do enjoy, but I can't say I would ever spend a thousands for one.

What are your thoughts? Or if you have one, why did you choose it?

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I love eternity bands, because I talk with my hands ... which means that the 3-D view matters to me, a lot. It's not just a question of spinning, but that I see my palm when I move my hands, so ... why not see bling?

I will say, though, I couldn't wear a larger carat weight prong-set band: I've tried a few, and it drives me nuts to have that width between my fingers. Channel-set, I haven't hit my limit.

... yet .... :twisted:

April20

Ideal_Rock
I think it's the thought of the prongs digging into my hands that puts me off as well.

Though I am not a channel set person, those I get and don't think there's a limit to them!

I know, I make no sense with my opinions.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree with you. Plus for the same price you can usually get larger stones on the top where it counts with half eternity styles and get the same look from ones that are just past 1/2 with none of the same damage issues. But then again, my rings rarely spin so I get a nice view all the time.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I prefer only half. Personal experience aside, I don't like having diamonds in my palm. Too easy to whack.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I prefer half eternities for the reasons you list.

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
I love my 3/4 eternity -- it gives some "wiggle room" on each side, so I don't constantly have to turn it, and I don't have to worry as much about damaging the stones on the palm side. It's a nice balance, I think. I can't imagine having one in a really large carat weight, though, as I find it very uncomfortable to have anything pushing my fingers apart and I dislike the way it looks. My rings are very low-profile for that reason. For anything larger than probably 10-pointers, I'd only be able to do stones on top (so it wouldn't even be a half-eternity, I guess). But it's more about comfort for me than price/value.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
I don't know why you say half of the stones are not seen. My palm is visible when I wave, shake hands, accept something into my hand, etc. A full eternity makes perfect sense if you have the type of finger that allows for spinning because the stones are never facing up. You pay for diamonds and it's the metal band that you see from the top of your hand. As far a damage goes, most women who own a large carat eternity band probably don't wear it 24/7.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
I think a large eternity band would be uncomfortable, and I personally prefer the look of a 5-stone band to a full eternity (in the larger sizes). I like smaller eternity bands.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love my eternity band! It's my wedding band. It's platinum, shared prong, with 7-pointers, so it's small.

I actually miss having palm-side diamonds on my upgrade ring. My original e-ring was set on an eternity band, so I had two delicious rows of diamonds blinking up at me whenever I looked down at my hand, palm- or top-side, and now that I've made the switch to a solitaire non-eternity band setting, I definitely notice that they're no longer there. (Of course, diamonds on the palm-side of my upgrade setting would just be weird, since there are no other diamonds in the band!)

Before switching from an eternity band setting to a plain setting, I definitely didn't anticipate that this would be something I'd notice. Like you, I thought that the palm-side diamonds were just extras that were never seen. But, it turns out that is definitely not true. For me, at least.

I think this is one of those things that people either like, or don't care for. Reminds me of stone shapes. I don't like round brilliants, so I just don't get all the hype, but I certainly understand that other people love them.

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love eternity bands! That's all I wear, and mine are 10 points each, so not tiny, but not like some of the really sizeable rings i love to drool over on here. At that size, it doesn't bother my hands at all when I'm wearing it.

I also talk with my hands a lot, so i think people see the bottom and the top. I have a friend who told me to get the biggest diamonds we could afford across the top of the finger and not all the way around, but I just loved the look of a full eternity.

Now that i've seen Dreamer's new purchase however, my opinion has changed a little. :bigsmile:

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
My wedding ring is a 1/2 eternity and it drives me crazy. The wrong side is up all. the. time. I'd never get a 1/2 eternity again and I will probably eventually reset my wedding band for that reason.

My e-ring is has sidestones 3/4 around and that is much, much better.

With large stones, the stones between my fingers would also bother me.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just thought of something else:

I really hate homes that have a brick facade on the front, and then vinyl siding on the sides and the back. It really bugs me, and I wonder if this is related to my preference for eternity bands.

ChloeTheGreat

Brilliant_Rock
I agree. While there are definitely some beautiful eternity bands around, they just don't seem practical to me for the same reasons as stated by the OP.

When I got engaged a couple months ago, my sister was looking at my ring for the first time...she said "oh, it's not an eternity..." like that made it less spectacular or something...? I'm not really sure what she meant, but my e-ring has stones 3/4 of the way around, which works fine for me and leaves metal to be resized if/when I need it to be.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Haven|1317936116|3034830 said:

I really hate homes that have a brick facade on the front, and then vinyl siding on the sides and the back. It really bugs me, and I wonder if this is related to my preference for eternity bands.

I can't say I have a preference for eternity rings because I've never had one, but I agree with you about houses, Haven.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like 1/2 or 3/4 best. I don't like diamonds against my palm, especially because I wear hand lotion all the time. :errrr:

Hera

Ideal_Rock
I love my eternity band. I love when I type I can see the sides of the stones and that I never have to worry about the ring twisting. To my eye, I like the continuous design all of the way around, because there's something unpleasant about an eternity design that stops abruptly. I can see why people get them 1/2 or 3/4 though. I wouldn't mind sacrificing my design qualm with a half large stone eternity to save the cost of a full eternity.

LittleRiver

Shiny_Rock
I don't have one so I can't speak to the comfort/practicality, but I love the look of a full eternity. There is something so luxe about diamonds all the way around. The fact that you don't see them very often is kind of the point!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love eternity bands. I have a 10 point shared prong eternity band that I wear every day with my ER and it is super comfortable!
I also love that I can only see diamonds whichever way my hands are pointing, whatever I am doing etc. There is no misalignment of the ring ever because it is all diamonds regardless of how it is turned. It would drive me nuts to only have a partial eternity but that's me. I just don't prefer the look of a partial eternity. When I first got it I was worried about the comfort factor because I am very sensitive to things touching me in general but it has been a non issue. I just love the blinginess of my eternity bands. It's all diamond all the time. :cheeky: :love:

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Right now, I am wearing my ering, a half-eternity and a full eternity on my left hand, and a channel set half eternity on my right. From the top, you see, (left) the ering stone, the solid half of the half-eternity and the eternity and then (right) half the stones/half solid gold. So for me, the eternity makes more sense. The one half-e looks like a spacer and the other looks crooked.

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haven|1317936116|3034830 said:

this just made me laugh out loud. :lol:

lbbaber

Brilliant_Rock
missy|1317941639|3034874 said:
I love eternity bands. I have a 10 point shared prong eternity band that I wear every day with my ER and it is super comfortable!
I also love that I can only see diamonds whichever way my hands are pointing, whatever I am doing etc. There is no misalignment of the ring ever because it is all diamonds regardless of how it is turned. It would drive me nuts to only have a partial eternity but that's me. I just don't prefer the look of a partial eternity. When I first got it I was worried about the comfort factor because I am very sensitive to things touching me in general but it has been a non issue. I just love the blinginess of my eternity bands. It's all diamond all the time. :cheeky: :love:

This is me exactly! I love love love my eternity band (shared prong made w/10 pointers). I cant wait til I upgrade it to 20 pointers. It is comfortable, always looks fantastic, blingy from EVERY angle, and looks great alone OR w/my e-ring.

I can see why some people say why pay for what you don't see (even though I disagree bc I do see all the diamonds as I use my hands) but I think of it like I do about wearing nice lingerie---Maybe noone else sees it but I know it's there :D

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Same, but my rings are 3/4.... I wouldn't get a full eternity though.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Like some of the other ladies here have mentioned about themselves, I am another one who talks with my hands alot. I adore my full eternity because I love that no matter how I am holding my hand, I can see sparkle! My eternity has 10 point diamonds and I plan to change it for one with 20 pointers before the year's end, having had a full eternity just makes me want a bigger one! :))

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I HATE the feeling of prongs between my fingers, so most of the bands (and many of the e-rings) I admire so much here would just never work for me. Even unobtrusive pavé styles feel terrible to me. If I didn't have my particular affliction though, I would love eternities. 360 degrees of sparkle :love:

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I have a half-eternity as a wedding band and regret it for several reasons: 1. The spinning drives me nuts. and 2. I think having diamonds only one shows how cheap I am.

I only got a half eternity because I thought it would be more comfy than a full eternity, and it probably is, but I would have gotten used to a full eternity. It's my wedding band, so I hate to change it, but I wish I had gotten the full.

Like Haven, I don't like homes with only brick or stone on the front. I even hate it when I see a cardigan or something with a pretty design on the front, then just solid material on the back. It just says too me "I like this design, but couldn't afford it all"

My spacer band is a full eternity (of sapphires) and I love how I never have to re-adjust. I also love looking at it from my palm.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love my eternity bands! I have a .10 pointer and a baguette and round from IDJ, and 2 ruby bands. They never bother my fingers or
feel uncomfortable. I love that they can be seen on my palm. I don't worry about them spinning and I love that.

There is something that feels a little decadent about having a band with diamonds all around. Really no one notices but me. I love them
nonetheless.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love them - I'm not married and I have 2 full eternity bands.

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
My wedding ring is also a half-eternity and I wish it were a full one (channel-set). It constantly spins, though I think it might be too big.

However, I also have a shared prong eternity with 5 pointers from Facets and I have to admit, it's pretty uncomfortable. I can't imagine wearing a larger carat size. At the end of the day when I take it off and put on a plain band, my fingers give a big sigh of relief, like you do when you take your bra off at the end of the day.

So basically in channel set, I would do an eternity but not for a shared prong ring.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results