shape
carat
color
clarity

Eternity or Solitaire?

Timm

Rough_Rock
What is the difference between an Eternity ring and a Solitaire ring? I want to get my girlfriend a ring to show my love to her, and I was advised to choose one of the two. Please help me choose.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A solitare is the single diamond on a ring. An eternity ring has smaller diamonds that go around or nearly around the finger.

In this pic, the solitare is in the middle and has two eternity bands with it.

img_1484.jpg

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also in most western countries, giving someone a solitaire ring, especially diamond, is usually understood to be a proposal of marriage. It seems to be becoming more common for people to wear eternities as engagement or engagement/wedding rings too but it's not as strongly assumed that eternity = proposal. So be careful what message you're sending with your gift.
There are also many many other styles beyond simply solitaire or eternity - have a browse through the Show Me the Bling thread or look on a jewellers website to see your options.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A Solitare ring is mostly associated with being an engagement ring, an eternity or diamond band ring is mostly associated with being a wedding band or an anniversary ring ie birth of first child, 10 years marriage. If you wish to buy your girlfriend a lovely ring as a gift, a ring called a "right hand ring" "dress ring" or cocktail ring" are common terms. These rings might be a band style or a single stone or group of stones but usually diamonds aren't the main feature. And a nice idea might be a ring with her birthstone in it. Each month has a "couple of gemstone types" that are associated with that month ie January is Garnet, September is Sapphire, August is Peridot.

Timm

Rough_Rock
It's great to know the difference between the two and what they mean, but I'm wondering just how many people actually know the difference. I know my girlfriend knows next to nothing about diamonds, except that they 'sparkle'.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chances are that if she lives in a country where an engagement and wedding rings are the norm, what her friends and family have, and what she sees advertised on tv then she knows the difference between the two rings. It may not matter to her or she may prefer one over the other which isn't the norm. If you're in doubt, tell her the budget and ask her what she'd like. If the budget is just for the engagement ring or is for both engagement ring and wedding ring you'd want to tell her that.

I went the traditional route. I have an engagement ring which is a larger diamond with side-stones (ie, not a solitaire) and a diamond set ring for a wedding ring. If I had it to do over, considering the fairly modest budget we had, I'd probably pick an eternity ring for an engagement ring and a plain band for a wedding ring.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Timm|1479638110|4100768 said:
It's great to know the difference between the two and what they mean, but I'm wondering just how many people actually know the difference. I know my girlfriend knows next to nothing about diamonds, except that they 'sparkle'.

Your girlfriend definitely knows the difference.

If you are not proposing marriage to her, I would stay away from diamond rings entirely though and give her a diamond necklace or earrings instead.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
Timm|1479483892|4100203 said:
What is the difference between an Eternity ring and a Solitaire ring? I want to get my girlfriend a ring to show my love to her, and I was advised to choose one of the two. Please help me choose.

Who "advised" you of this? Maybe they were suggesting you get engaged! :lol: A solitaire is a very typical engagement ring style, and you likely wouldn't buy one unless you were planning to propose. An eternity ring is more like a wedding band, but can also be worn as a stacker. Your girlfriend most certainly knows the difference and what they would signal, so even if she knows nothing about diamonds, opening a box with a solitaire in it would mostly definitely signal "engagement," and possibly an eternity band would mean the same thing (or be seen as some kind of "promise ring").

If you aren't getting engaged, I wouldn't get a solitaire, in fact, would probably steer clear of rings altogether lest she (or others) get the wrong idea--plus it's harder to shop for these without knowing ring sizes. What about a bracelet, earrings, or necklace instead? What's the budget?

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you expressing a commitment to her with this ring? Or just love?

Polished

Brilliant_Rock
If it's about showing her your love for her, you could go to town and get her any pretty ring you felt like.

Aurora43

Rough_Rock
I have to chime in and say that both a solitaire and an eternity band strongly say a long term commitment. Solitaires are commonly used for getting engaged and often an eternity band comes after you have been married for awhile. Your girlfriend probably already knows all this. So, unless you are proposing, I would steer clear of either of these types of rings and perhaps get her a pretty ring that has emeralds, rubies or sapphires with diamond side stones.

Timm

Rough_Rock
I know I'm ready for commitment but I'm feeling such pressure to do it right. Now that I understand the difference I think I know what route I have to take. Thanks for all the great advice.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Timm

Rough_Rock
PintoBean, you're so funny! I was hoping to be able to forget that I even started that thread. LOL! Now that I think about it, that is not even an option!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results