shape
carat
color
clarity

Engraving?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mirre

Shiny_Rock
I will be graduating from college soon and while I never really thought of getting a class ring I''ve been thinking I might like to have one. I don''t want the tradional style class ring. I thought about it and didn''t want to spend all that money on something I most likely will not wear a few years down the road. I thought about getting one of the stackable class rings they are making and found one that would work. However I again came to, "Why spend THAT money on something I won''t be wearing a few years from now?"

I think what I will do is get a ring with a stone that is my school colors (most likely a white gold metal) and have the inside engraved with my school name and graduation year so that it is like a class ring for me but not something that the whole world will see and think "Oh is that your class ring?"

If I were to purchase a ring and would any jeweller (who does engraving of course) engrave the inside for me? Or would it have to be done from wherever I bought the ring? What if where I buy it doesn''t do engraving?

Thanks!

Sparkles22

Brilliant_Rock
Usually the place you buy from will engrave it for you (some charge, some don''t). What are your school colors?

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
Most jewelers either do engraving on the premises or have a shop that they send items to for engraving... Should be easy enough. What do you have in mind for the ring? This might be a fun project for people here on PS to play with, it''s a bit different from the engagement rings that we''re used to talking about...

mirre

Shiny_Rock
My school colors are purple and grey. I''m not sure if I want to do just one purple stone or try to see about getting the grey in there somewhere.

I had done up a drawing yesterday (in class no less) of a class ring that I wanted to get made. But I''ve decided to scrap the idea of a "class" ring.

Feel free to help out with ideas... I enjoy seeing all the designs that everyone here comes up with. You all have lovely taste!

Sparkles22

Brilliant_Rock
That will be pretty in purple I am sure
2.gif
Were you thinking Amethist? What shape/styles do you like? Do you want diamonds in it, etc.

I don''t know that I would do grey too, it might depend on the stone itself, but I think that might run the risk of looking like a dirty diamond... just my 2 cents

I think this would be a fun project too.

My school colors are black and gold... so much for that I guess, oh well
20.gif

DiamondGirlHH

Shiny_Rock
Normally schools either offer a ring purchasing program or refer you to a local jeweler where most students get their rings from.

Most jewelers order these school rings from few ring manufacturers in the country. They normally all have catalogs you can choose a design, if you don''t have your school''s standard design.

I would check your local jewelers.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is a great idea! The stone could be purple, and just have the white metal stand for the grey (since it is really closer to grey than it is to white
2.gif
)

tickintime

Rough_Rock
You could go with plainum as your metal of choice and never have it polished!
18.gif
18.gif
That will surely be the gray you are looking for
31.gif
31.gif

mirre

Shiny_Rock
Thank you all for your advice. I think I''ve decided not to go with trying to find a grey stone... most likely I couldn''t find one that would be what I would like to have anyway.

I ran the idea of just getting a purple stoned ring (most likely amethist because they''re more readily available it seems) and having it engraved on the inside to give it more of a "special meaning" for me, by my mom last night. She''ll most likely be the one buying it for me. And she liked the idea. I''m still thinking of trying to find something that is stackable because I really liked the way the purple stones and white metal looked with the two stacking pick sapphire rings I want.

If anyone happens across any good ideas for something like these I would love to see them. (Not asking for anyone to go on a full out search for something, but if you''ve seen something while browsing the internet I wouldn''t mind seeing it.)

Again, thanks everyone!

Oh and Sparkles22, since your colors are black and gold you could always do something with gold metal and a black diamond
2.gif
, I bet that would come out looking nice.
31.gif

tickintime

Rough_Rock
GF has a very nice purple and WG ring from HS. It is not the typical class ring (it does resemble one in some respects, but is very nice IMO. I will steal it and take some pics...

mirre

Shiny_Rock
Tickintime, Thanks! I''d love to see pics.

mirre

Shiny_Rock
I found this on a website and was going to see what you all thought of it. It''s a split colored amethyst. The only problem is that I wouldn''t be able to stack it with the pink sapphire stackables I wanted.
7.gif

splitcolored.jpg

March-8-2008

Shiny_Rock
That''s a very interesting ring.... where did you find it? I''ve never seen a bi-color amethyst before.

I think your alternative class ring project sounds really cool. I can''t wait to see what you end up with, or what else you run across in your search!

21.gif
21.gif
21.gif
21.gif

Sparkles22

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/22/2008 11:13:25 AM
Author: mirre
Thank you all for your advice. I think I''ve decided not to go with trying to find a grey stone... most likely I couldn''t find one that would be what I would like to have anyway.

I ran the idea of just getting a purple stoned ring (most likely amethist because they''re more readily available it seems) and having it engraved on the inside to give it more of a ''special meaning'' for me, by my mom last night. She''ll most likely be the one buying it for me. And she liked the idea. I''m still thinking of trying to find something that is stackable because I really liked the way the purple stones and white metal looked with the two stacking pick sapphire rings I want.

If anyone happens across any good ideas for something like these I would love to see them. (Not asking for anyone to go on a full out search for something, but if you''ve seen something while browsing the internet I wouldn''t mind seeing it.)

Again, thanks everyone!

Oh and Sparkles22, since your colors are black and gold you could always do something with gold metal and a black diamond
2.gif
, I bet that would come out looking nice.
31.gif
That''s a cool idea, thanks!

I haven''t seen any purple with white metal stack rings, but that sounds really pretty especially between 2 pink sapphire bands... wow I bet that would be awesome!

mirre

Shiny_Rock
Sparkles I had another idea for a ring for you if you wanted one... what about a citrine stone? Some of them that I have seen are yellowish or another yellow colored stone with black diamonds (in case you aren''t a fan of the yellow gold).

March-8-08 I found the ring on jtv.com here is this link.
Probably not the best of places to buy jewellry but I was just browsing for ideas.
http://www.jewelrytelevision.com/index.aspx?tid=21847&cm_sp=&Nrppo=1&Ntt=amethyst&N=51%20&No=336&cm_re=Results*3*2&cm_pos=346&bca=OTC829&ptid=7362&R=2698930

Also... I believe I have found THE RING! I had seen this on Overstock and loved it but they didn''t have my size so I went in search of something else. While out shopping this weekend I went into a jewellry store and tried on an amethyst square cushion with a diamond halo and LOVED IT! Only problem was it was in yellow gold not white and the basket wouldn''t have allowed for a band to be stacked with it. I went back to Overstock today and they have my size so I believe my search is over!

P10743529.jpg

mirre

Shiny_Rock
Side:

MLA10743529.jpg

mirre

Shiny_Rock
Stackable that I want to put with it:

Pink Sapphire stackable.jpg

mirre

Shiny_Rock
Or should I get something more along the lines of this one? I definately want the pink sapphire stackable but of the two previously posted Amethyst rings and this one below which would you think would work best?

I''m just so indesisive I need opinions of others.
33.gif

WGAmethystDiamond.jpg

whatmeworry

Brilliant_Rock
This is cool. My school colors are purple and white and I''ve always thought about using those someday. Can you post your school colors here? After all there are many shades of gray.... (purple too!). I''ve never seen a split color amethyst. Thanks for posting it.

mirre

Shiny_Rock
The colors vary depending on what you see around campus but it''s something like
PURPLE
LIGHT GRAY
MEDIUM GRAY
DARKER GRAY

The purple can be a little more violet colored too though... here''s our mascot.

180px-UCABEARS.jpg

CrookedRock

Brilliant_Rock
I really like the purple cushion halo ring you posted. I think it would be great with the pink bands!!! This is a fabulous idea, I wish I would have thought of it when I graduated... OH well. I will live vicariously through you!
2.gif

whatmeworry

Brilliant_Rock
The only thing I can think of is titanium rings come in more shades of gray than platinum. The halo ring plus pink ring looks like a spectacular combo. Congratulations on your graduaton!

mirre

Shiny_Rock
I'm in the process of trying to find other halo rings to choose from... so far not much luck. It will most likely not be of HIGH quality because my mom is buying it for me and we have a small budget but when I do get it and have a chance to get pics I'll try to put them up. I most likely won't have my stackable bands until a little while after graduation because I plan to buy those for myself as a present to myself I guess.

I'm very excited though!
9.gif

ETA: Thank you all for the congratulations on the graduation.
35.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results