shape
carat
color
clarity

Engagement ring shopping, best bang for buck?

QQuire

Rough_Rock
Hello all,
I am new to this world and I am looking for any and all advice I can get. The time has come for me to get my knee dirty and pop the question. She has told me she wants oval or pear shaped with diamonds on the bands and thats pretty much the extent of it. I saw this one and it looks nice but I honestly don't even know what I am really looking at or paying for. https://www.pricescope.com/diamonds/pear/1-0000-carat-d-color-vvs2-clarity-21764835
I also think it looks pretty small on the sample image with the hand on the site.

How do I get the most bang for my buck? My budget is around 6k.

Any help is much appreciated! Thank you!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you're looking for best bang for your buck then I would drop color and clarity (down to G+ and VS level). Of course, with a fancy
cut like Pears and Ovals top priority is to find a stone with a beautiful cut.

What is her finger size?

That stone you posted looks like it could be promising. It does have a shallow depth so It faces up a little bigger IMO. You're
worried about it looking too small on her finger? I'm not sure I like the outside shape of the stone compared to others.

QQuire

Rough_Rock
If you're looking for best bang for your buck then I would drop color and clarity (down to G+ and VS level). Of course, with a fancy
cut like Pears and Ovals top priority is to find a stone with a beautiful cut.

What is her finger size?

That stone you posted looks like it could be promising. It does have a shallow depth so It faces up a little bigger IMO. You're
worried about it looking too small on her finger? I'm not sure I like the outside shape of the stone compared to others.

Thank you for the response! How does one know which cut is good or not? Or as long as it is excellent cut that should do it?
She is a sz 5.
What is an ideal depth in your opinion?
Yes I am worried about it looking too small.

Any thoughts on this one?

lala646

Brilliant_Rock
Rhino has a lovely vintage "moval", which is a marquise/oval blend for sale. Gorgeous performance, and well within your price range. You can even buy the lovely vintage platinum setting for a little extra $.

1655230512325.png

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Hi and welcome to PriceScope, QQuire!
Second vote for Jon (Rhino) at DG...he can access a ton of pear and oval diamonds and find you the best one for your budget.
Another great option is David (Rockdiamond) at Diamonds by Lauren.
As for the setting... sky's the limit, as either will make you whatever you want. :)

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for the response! How does one know which cut is good or not? Or as long as it is excellent cut that should do it?
No, unfortunately, an Excellent cut grade is not good enough. It is very broad and will include stones that are not good
choices.

For pears, the best-looking pears that I have seen have the rounded end cut very much like a round brilliant. That way you
get the brilliance/fire of a round brilliant but that usually means they tend to not be on the long side. The 1.27 you posted
below actually looks pretty nice. It may* go dark through the center in bright light. It also has Strong Fluorescence that
you need to ask the vendor about. Make sure it does not go oily/milky looking in sunlight. It may also tend to glow
in bright sunlight. If this will bother you then keep looking. Some people find fluorescence a pretty cool phenomenon.
(I do)

You have not posted any oval shaped stones so I wont go into any detail about them here...unless you decide that's what
she wants.

She is a sz 5.

What is an ideal depth in your opinion?
Its usually 60% plus but each stone needs to be evaluated on its own merits.
Yes I am worried about it looking too small.

Any thoughts on this one?

Here is the relative view of what that 1.27 would look like on a size 5 finger. Not small IMO but its all relative to where you live and what her friends/family
wear.
snip.png

QQuire

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for the responses! I’ve been trying to read and learn up on some of the lingo you all are using so I don’t ask dumb questions and ask questions that will get me closer to “The One” haha.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Thank you all for the responses! I’ve been trying to read and learn up on some of the lingo you all are using so I don’t ask dumb questions and ask questions that will get me closer to “The One” haha.

Feel free to ask whatever you feel to need to...no question is dumb. There's not a person here that didn't have to start somewhere. Ask away!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely ask the questions... that's how we all learned...plus, it usually helps to speed up the learning process so ask away.

The thing about pears and ovals compared to rounds is that their light return is usually not as good. (full disclosure, my original
engagement ring is a pear). That's why it's really important to find one that has decent light return so that you get the best sparkles and
brilliance from the shape/cut.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results