shape
carat
color
clarity

Engagement ring sapphire/ruby

GrandpaUtz

Rough_Rock
Hello everybody!

I've been, for the past couple of months, in the trenches, trying to save up money and search for the perfect stone for an engagement ring. I started out looking at peach/reeeeeeeal light pink sapphires, then as I was reading/researching I moved on to padparadscha sapphires and got into a bit of a love affair with them, then started really digging on nice vivid-blue sapphires for a while, and now am looking at rubies because I'm indecisive and get way, way too into things when I start and always end up wanting the best, which makes me research more, which makes me want more, etc. You know how it goes!

I have a basic design set out, which is very similar to this ( http://i.imgur.com/9f8Nx5z.jpg ), but with rose gold instead of yellow gold and a few other more minor changes. My girlfriend and I have discussed the stone and she loved the color pictured in the example ring (peach sapphire), did not like the more vivid pads, and liked a royal blue and ruby. SO here is what I have so far:

Looking for:
PREFERABLY unheated
1.5-2ct (but flexible)
Oval (or trillion, tbh)
Ruby, Blue Sapphire or light peach sapphire

My question is: is a ruby even plausible at the light budget I have of ~$2000? Because I'm really thinking that a ruby would look amazing set in the rose gold (which, as far as the girlfriend is concerned, is non-negotiable lol) - I feel like I am getting pretty good at looking at sapphires and judging them (or I could be totally out of my element and know nothing), but rubies FEEL like a whole different ballgame, even though they are the same mineral. And I know as far as pricing they totally are, but I read recently about a vast new source of rubies in Africa somewhere that was recently discovered and am hoping that might be dropping prices?

I know that the peach sapphires are just sort of a low-quality color for a sapphire- why do they seem to be so much money?

As for a blue sapphire, I was looking at this one: https://gemfix.com/gems/sapphire-blue-11-1252

I would just need to save up a little bit longer for it. Does that look like it would set well in a ring? And would the color maintain itself? This is the part of the equation I am not entirely sure on.... Would this be a worthwhile purchase? I know it sounds crappy to say, but money is tight and any way I can get as good a stone as possible for as low a price-point possible would be ideal.

I apologize for the rambling post, but looking at rubies really got me questioning things today!

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Exciting! I love shopping for other people. :lol:

I don't own a ruby but they are pricey (hence why I don't have one). :lol-2: It may be hard to get the size you want with your budget. As for peach sapphires, they are more expensive because pad sapphires are POPULAR! Anything even close to a pad color ends up being more expensive (even if it's not worth it IMO).

Would you guys consider a spinel? You can get peaches and reds and they have a similar hardness to a sapphire.

This one is more expensive but much less than a pad of this size. :mrgreen2:
https://gemfix.com/gems/spinel-31-350
pad 1.jpg

or this red spinel
https://gemfix.com/gems/spinel-31-289
spinel 1.jpg

this one is less expensive (but smaller)
https://gemfix.com/gems/spinel-31-338
spinel 2.jpg

GrandpaUtz

Rough_Rock
Exciting! I love shopping for other people. :lol:

I don't own a ruby but they are pricey (hence why I don't have one). :lol-2: It may be hard to get the size you want with your budget. As for peach sapphires, they are more expensive because pad sapphires are POPULAR! Anything even close to a pad color ends up being more expensive (even if it's not worth it IMO).

Would you guys consider a spinel? You can get peaches and reds and they have a similar hardness to a sapphire.

This one is more expensive but much less than a pad of this size. :mrgreen2:
https://gemfix.com/gems/spinel-31-350
pad 1.jpg

or this red spinel
https://gemfix.com/gems/spinel-31-289
spinel 1.jpg

this one is less expensive (but smaller)
https://gemfix.com/gems/spinel-31-338
spinel 2.jpg

Lol well I am always happy to have other people do my shopping for me! I would be okay with going slightly smaller for a ruby, because it IS more expensive I know, so for that anything down to around a carat would be fine. I wouldn't want to go much under that, and if I could find a good one at a fair price that I would need to save up a little bit for, I am willing to do that, too. I am in no HUGE rush to get this done right away, I'd rather take my time and make sure I get something perfect.

Spinels are a weird thing for me. It's not that I have anything against them because obviously they are absolutely beautiful and a rare stone all in their own right, but maybe it's a stupid matter of my own pride or something, but I would really rather the stone be a sapphire/ruby. Even if for no other reason than when people ask her what it is, they'll know immediately what those stones are. Brand recognition, I guess. Plus I think she would like being able to say it's a sapphire or ruby more than saying it's a spinel to people who ask. Plus... I just kind of like the thought of it being one of the "big" stones.

I definitely don't want to seem ungrateful for your suggestions, though! They are gorgeous stones and if I could find a ruby that was exactly that third stone pictured, I would just about die of happiness! I love it, and I am extremely grateful that you took the time to respond and help me out! Thank you!

GrandpaUtz

Rough_Rock

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lol well I am always happy to have other people do my shopping for me! I would be okay with going slightly smaller for a ruby, because it IS more expensive I know, so for that anything down to around a carat would be fine. I wouldn't want to go much under that, and if I could find a good one at a fair price that I would need to save up a little bit for, I am willing to do that, too. I am in no HUGE rush to get this done right away, I'd rather take my time and make sure I get something perfect.

Spinels are a weird thing for me. It's not that I have anything against them because obviously they are absolutely beautiful and a rare stone all in their own right, but maybe it's a stupid matter of my own pride or something, but I would really rather the stone be a sapphire/ruby. Even if for no other reason than when people ask her what it is, they'll know immediately what those stones are. Brand recognition, I guess. Plus I think she would like being able to say it's a sapphire or ruby more than saying it's a spinel to people who ask. Plus... I just kind of like the thought of it being one of the "big" stones.

I definitely don't want to seem ungrateful for your suggestions, though! They are gorgeous stones and if I could find a ruby that was exactly that third stone pictured, I would just about die of happiness! I love it, and I am extremely grateful that you took the time to respond and help me out! Thank you!

Totally ok! :D I understand wanting one of the recognizable gems. I often have family members looking at me with doe eyes, when I tell them what this or that gem in my ring is. :shock:

We'll keep trying.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Make sure you compare gemstones by spread, or size in mm. Carat (weight) gets in the ballpark, but the gems here all vary so much in price/carat, that spread is a better metric.

Fancy cushion triange. OMG price of $277 usd. 6.46 mm. Awesome color.
http://www.customgemstones.com/SAPPHIRE/sa1743.html

$2400, so don't look if this does not work for your budget:cool2: Close to the inspo pad.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/540297701/peach-champagne-sapphire-over-2-carats?ref=shop_home_active_5

6.87 x 5.87 x 3.42 mm oval. Red to slightly purple. https://www.etsy.com/listing/494602863/ruby-oval-shape-1-carat-for-engagement?ref=shop_home_active_7

Steel blue. 8.0 x 6.0 x 3.7 mm.
http://www.earthstreasury.com/product/1-37-carat-steel-blue-umba-sapphire/

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Has your fiancé looked at stones in person to see how they look with her skin tone? She gave you kind of a wide range to work with. There are so many pretty and varied choices here, i want all the colors!

GrandpaUtz

Rough_Rock
Thank you all! I'll reply to each of you individually as I have time (no desktop at home, have to do this all at work) Here is a photo of an unheated 1.05 ct ruby I saw on ivynewyork that I messaged them about. They quoted me $2693 for the stone. Does that seem about right for a ruby this size? I am thinking I might have been right in thinking that a ruby was a little out of my price range! But if this Ruby looks good (it came with a GRS report, 6.37x5.09x363 mm, unheated, Mozambique origin), I could conciveably save up a little longer for it. 1.05_Ruby_15919.png But is ivynewyork a reputable dealer in gems? I follow Yavorskyy on instagram (their cutter/main gem guy I guess?) and he is always posting photos of fantastic-looking stones, especially rubies, he is picking up around the world, and the cut seems good to me. But I am unsure if this dealer is too "commercial" and I'll be upset with the end product's representation online. Does anybody have any experience with these guys?

GrandpaUtz

Rough_Rock
Has your fiancé looked at stones in person to see how they look with her skin tone? She gave you kind of a wide range to work with. There are so many pretty and varied choices here, i want all the colors!

She hasn't really. She isn't too into jewelry/stones (I am way moreso than her, always wanted to be a watchmaker), and she wants everything about the ring other than what I said we already discussed to be a surprise. She will love whatever I get her, but I want to make sure what I get her is the best possible ring I can afford!

GrandpaUtz

Rough_Rock
Make sure you compare gemstones by spread, or size in mm. Carat (weight) gets in the ballpark, but the gems here all vary so much in price/carat, that spread is a better metric.

Fancy cushion triange. OMG price of $277 usd. 6.46 mm. Awesome color.
http://www.customgemstones.com/SAPPHIRE/sa1743.html

$2400, so don't look if this does not work for your budget:cool2: Close to the inspo pad.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/540297701/peach-champagne-sapphire-over-2-carats?ref=shop_home_active_5

6.87 x 5.87 x 3.42 mm oval. Red to slightly purple. https://www.etsy.com/listing/494602863/ruby-oval-shape-1-carat-for-engagement?ref=shop_home_active_7

Steel blue. 8.0 x 6.0 x 3.7 mm.
http://www.earthstreasury.com/product/1-37-carat-steel-blue-umba-sapphire/

I'll make sure to note the dimensions from now on (or the spread, so I sound like I know what I'm talking about lol)!

The first triangle is actually one I was looking at myself, but I was concerned that it would end up being too dark when set in a ring, and I don't want it looking dark/black. At that low of a price, it seems like it is too good to be true, and my general rule of thumb in life is that when it seems too good to be true, it is. But maybe I'm just being hypercritical? You guys know more than I do, I'm sure!

The second and third ones - well that second one is exactly what I would go for if I end up going for a peach/pad sapphire! But that price :-/ A little out of my budget at the moment. But what concerns me with that one also (as well as the ruby) is the vendor doesn't list what (if any) enhancements have been done to the stone. They just don't mention it at all, which sort of skeeves me out. I also noticed on here that people have mentioned mixed reviews from that vendor. So I'm not too sure. $2400 seeems a little high for a heated peach sapphire, also. Shoot, if I'm going up there, I might as well get a smaller ruby!

And I'm just not sure I'm too wild about the steel blue one. From the picture it looks pretty heavily included/color-zoned? But maybe that's just the high-def picture? The color isn't really what I'm looking for, either.

GrandpaUtz

Rough_Rock
There is one here.

But if she loves peach sapphires, then I would look for one of those first.

She does love peach sapphires, but she also loves rubies and blue sapphires! And that one looks very tempting....

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The ruby you are interested in has good cutting but the clarity looks to be too translucent (cloudy / silky) rather than transparent for my taste.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dan Stair at Custom Gemstones is a very very good cutter. If you like that one, just ask him what he thinks will occur when setting (send your picture). You can also ask for pictures on a finger to see what happens. That is really the best way to view a gem.

I was unaware of any bad rep toward PristineGemstones. I've only had good experiences, but it is important to get more opinions.

Also, red is a very bold color. Please do check that she is really wanting to wear red on a daily basis (keeping in mind that dark rubies tend to have a bit more of a purple tone...spinel's come in true red/burgundy). My sister has a ruby engagement ring, but she will often switch it out when it does not suit her wardrobe. Neither her or her DH get sentimental about this, but some do. Peach is more neutral, but can be washed out on some skin tones. The intense blues you like may be a bit more like the ruby. So, consider her wardrobe. Liking a color and wanting to wear it every day are potentially different.

S

SparkliesLuver

IVY is one of the big guys in the gem world. Celebs wear their stuff, if that tells you anything. ;-) So most of the time their stuff can be a tad overpriced, but if you find something you love and you can afford it then I say go for it.

Have you seen many rubies in person? In my personal opinion, spinel does red much better than most rubies (well, most rubies that the majority of the population can afford!). I'd be curious what unheated ruby they'd recommend that might be a touch more transparent and see what the price is. I know Elle of The Gemstone Project has an unheated ruby that's about $4k.

So, I gotta ask: have you considered cobalt spinel? They're a true vivid blue, but they're typically a half carat or less. Small, yes, but the color can be seen across the room. No lie. I know some people here have looked at them for special engagement rings before, so I figured it couldn't hurt to bring it up. She'd have something very rare with that!

GrandpaUtz

Rough_Rock
The ruby you are interested in has good cutting but the clarity looks to be too translucent (cloudy / silky) rather than transparent for my taste.

It is a little cloudy, true... maybe I'll inquire about some more clear-looking gems and see what the prices are on those.

GrandpaUtz

Rough_Rock
Dan Stair at Custom Gemstones is a very very good cutter. If you like that one, just ask him what he thinks will occur when setting (send your picture). You can also ask for pictures on a finger to see what happens. That is really the best way to view a gem.

I will have to do that!

I was unaware of any bad rep toward PristineGemstones. I've only had good experiences, but it is important to get more opinions.

Mostly what makes me nervous is not designating whether anything is heated or treated. I can't find anything on any of the sapphires/rubies they have listed that states definitively yes or no. Maybe I can send them a message and ask.

Also, red is a very bold color. Please do check that she is really wanting to wear red on a daily basis (keeping in mind that dark rubies tend to have a bit more of a purple tone...spinel's come in true red/burgundy). My sister has a ruby engagement ring, but she will often switch it out when it does not suit her wardrobe. Neither her or her DH get sentimental about this, but some do. Peach is more neutral, but can be washed out on some skin tones. The intense blues you like may be a bit more like the ruby. So, consider her wardrobe. Liking a color and wanting to wear it every day are potentially different.

I did ask her about this, and her response was essentially that she never has worried about matching her jewelry to her clothing before this, and she won't worry about matching it after she gets it lol. I was looking for specifically lighter colored gems at first because I WAS worried about this, until she told me that.

And the peach washing out and looking too "white" is something I was worried about, too. I am hoping that setting it in rose gold (which is what she wants 100%) will help to keep that from happening, but I'm not sure exactly how much of an effect that will have.

GrandpaUtz

Rough_Rock
IVY is one of the big guys in the gem world. Celebs wear their stuff, if that tells you anything. ;-) So most of the time their stuff can be a tad overpriced, but if you find something you love and you can afford it then I say go for it.

That's good to know! I am very nervous about buying online (but living in the middle of nowhere like I do, I don't have too much of a choice, unfortunately, if I want something of true quality), so before I pull any trigger I want to do my due diligence!

Have you seen many rubies in person? In my personal opinion, spinel does red much better than most rubies (well, most rubies that the majority of the population can afford!). I'd be curious what unheated ruby they'd recommend that might be a touch more transparent and see what the price is. I know Elle of The Gemstone Project has an unheated ruby that's about $4k.

I have not seen too many, at least not any of real size that are natural. Some big-box stuff that I'm sure is either fracture-filled or lab created is about it.

QUOTE="SparkliesLuver, post: 4203860, member: 79072"]So, I gotta ask: have you considered cobalt spinel? They're a true vivid blue, but they're typically a half carat or less. Small, yes, but the color can be seen across the room. No lie. I know some people here have looked at them for special engagement rings before, so I figured it couldn't hurt to bring it up. She'd have something very rare with that![/QUOTE]

Actually I have a cobalt spinel at home that an internet acquaintance friend of mine sent me to demonstrate precision cutting and the difference it makes. He told me it was a practice stone for him, so he didn't particularly want it. Some people are too generous! It's lab created, cushion cut about 3.5 carats (7.5x7.5xsomething.something). But it's a beautiful stone, I can't imagine just giving it away like him! (Lab created, so I don't want to put it in the ring, but I plan on sticking it into a necklace for her for Christmas if I don't end up getting an engagement ring by then) I do LOVE the color of it, though. I just want a more "recognizable" stone for her ring, if that doesn't come off as too hoity-toity. Plus sapphires are slightly more durable than spinels, if I recall, which is a plus!

GrandpaUtz

Rough_Rock
http://www.finewatergems.com/store/p224/1.64_ct_Blue_Ceylon_Sapphire.html
Well cut and super sparkly, based on the hand shot. Hopefully, not too light for you. I expect it to darken a little once set.

That stone is awesome, might be a little too light, but if it'd darken up it would be perfect. I do have a question though, is that one better than this one?

https://gemfix.com/gems/sapphire-blue-11-1252

They're about the same price, but the gemfix is unheated and larger. Is there something wrong with the gemfix stone? Or is t the flawless clarity of the heated stone that raises the price?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Saturation (intensity, not how light or dark, although too much of an extreme does affect price) of colour sets the price.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd bet that you will end up with a hot pinkinsh red ruby. Unless a beautiful light pink on the warm (peach) side turns up ... but these are even less common.

Some traditional cut examples: a peach WWW - relatively spready & somewhat windowedª, a PINK ! WWW - triangle with some incredible colour; pinkish-red WWW 'velvety' but transparent, & a darker, classic red WWW

Textbook 'royal blue' & 'blood' sapphire & ruby colours tend to be dark ... not sure how things got this way. It was my innocent (stupid) first impression & many years after, I might know better but feel the same: e.g. between the two ruby colours, I'd rather have the 'pinkish', the other is much closer to the market standard 'pidgeon blood'.

___
ª windowed ... but, IMO OK for some settings; the cut fits the mellow colour for me - somewhat in the spirit of rose cut diamonds

Last edited:

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great feedback. Ok. Some observations that may be more confusing than helpful...

Sapphires and ruby are worn as daily stones, but that does not mean they won't suffer for it. I can't tell you how many abraded and rubbed over stones came into my grandmother's shop. Diamonds are more prone to chipping. Spinels tend to appear with chips rather than scratches as their primary injury to life. But, spinel is also vastly less expensive - at least today. So, for the lost value due to damage and re-polishing is also less. Also, most people's idea of a ruby as red/burgundy is wrong. As others have said, rubies tend to have a pink or purple under-colour. If she responded to red or burgundy than spinel is actually a better colour-match. Like @chrono said, the more saturated the colour, the more expensive. You are attracted to those saturated stones. So, I'm suggesting to be open to possibilities. In terms of what others say, unless you are from certain parts of the world, then there will always be people who have something to say that it is not a diamond. Or will tell you some myth about the gem, my great-aunt used to say, "for every pearl you own will be a tear you will cry" as an old Italian myth. I've cried some tear, but I don't blame my pearls. Please you and her...not anyone else.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/spinel-durability.192979/

How well any gemstone will survive life is a matter of how it is treated and set. The setting you choose is not protective to to the girdle of the stone. It is, however, a lovely low slung setting which will be easy to wear and protect the stone from being hit so often from the sides. I would recommend 6 prongs (1 on each end, two on each side) to help protect the stone.

You might have a look at the following for setting ideas.
https://www.instagram.com/franbarkerdesign/

Last edited:
S

SparkliesLuver

Why are the two stones (Finewater & GemFix) priced differently? All depends what they bought the rough for and what they have in it. Unheated stones typically command a premium, but then you have to factor in clarity, shape, color, etc. Nothing is necessarily bad with the GemFix stone. In all honesty, if you could time it right with a credit card (or funds), I'd order both and evaluate them together in person. That's the true test. Personally, I'd rather go a touch lighter than I ideally want, because as others have said, it will darken a touch when set.

Side note: that's cool about the (lab-created) cobalt! I'd definitely turn it into a necklace or something in the future. And that's super cool of him to just give it to you! :) I understand your desire for one of the "big name" stones, so sapphire or ruby it is!

ETA: Based on your inspiration ring, I immediately thought of Mociun. Check out her website and Instagram sometime. :)

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rubies generally are set in yellow gold, not rose. It's actually not the most flattering color combo.

If rose gold is the non negotiable part of look for a lavender sapphire. Since that's none of her color choices that's probably out. Of her color choices a peach color stone is probably going to be most flattering with her metal choice.

goldie_locks

Shiny_Rock
It's a bit out of your price range, but this is a stone from Roger Dery (sourced for my by another vendor). 8.9 x 6.8 mm and 2.15 carats, price quoted to me was $2800. The link on Roger Dery's site is here (http://rogerdery.com/gems/sapphire-classic-oval-14/), and pics taken by Roger (top pic, right stone) and Jeff H (bottom stone) below. I also have a video if you are interested. Still not top saturation, but better than the gemfix oval IMO (but I'm a newb, so take that with a grain of salt!).

Roger also has a number of rubies on his website, and folks have mentioned that he typically has more in stock than what shows up here http://rogerdery.com/gems/?fwp_type=ruby.

SapphireBlueCombo_4680.jpg

_B3A3184-ET-1200.jpeg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results