shape
carat
color
clarity

Engagement ring help

1blkt

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hey everyone I recently started the process of getting my gf an engagement ring and was wondering if I could get a little guidance/advice.

I know she prefers a vintage feel and originally liked the old mine cut cushion but as of late has been eyeing ovals. That being said I started working with Distinctive Gem and have a Heritage Elongated Cushion in route.

47044DB6-976D-426E-B1E5-545DAC589281.jpeg
A little larger than anticipated but without a report I honestly don’t know enough to say if this looks good or wow so far.

I wanted to try doing a halo similar to this one but I couldn’t find anymore info about it or who did it. If I wanted it to be similar what would the correct way of describing that be?
950EBC44-8CE7-4A76-90F0-9421C590F189.jpeg

For the band I know she wants something along the lines of this, but given the larger diamond size we might have to pair down in some area. Plus until I can get a rendering of it all together I’m worried it might have too much going on.
8DA86276-7FC3-42CE-8ED7-8D493F72D96C.jpeg
Thanks for the input.

Last edited by a moderator:

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey everyone I recently started the process of getting my gf an engagement ring and was wondering if I could get a little guidance/advice.

I know she prefers a vintage feel and originally liked the old mine cut cushion but as of late has been eyeing ovals. That being said I started working with Distinctive Gem and have a Heritage Elongated Cushion in route.

47044DB6-976D-426E-B1E5-545DAC589281.jpeg
A little larger than I originally anticipated but without a report I honestly don’t know enough to say if this looks good or meh so far.

I wanted to try doing a halo similar to this one but I couldn’t find anymore info about it or who did it. If I wanted it to be similar what would the correct way of describing that be?
950EBC44-8CE7-4A76-90F0-9421C590F189.jpeg

For the band I know she wants something along the lines of this, but given the larger diamond size we might have to pair down in some area. Plus until I can get a rendering of it all together I’m worried it might have too much going on.
8DA86276-7FC3-42CE-8ED7-8D493F72D96C.jpeg
Thanks for the input.

First of all, you are in great hands with Jon. He has a great reputation because he's really knowledgeable. I've seen his diamonds in person and they really are gorgeous. So, in my humble opinion, you can at least relax about the diamond. Just tell him what you like or don't like when you have the diamond in hand.

I'm sure others will give you great advice about the setting. Just keep your gf's style in mind. Good luck and come back with lots of pics.

Edited to say the aset looks good to me.

Last edited:

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jon knows what he is doing. Tell him your are from PS and he will know you are looking for the best. He won’t steer you to a bad diamond.

1blkt

Rough_Rock
Trade
First of all, you are in great hands with Jon. He has a great reputation because he's really knowledgeable. I've seen his diamonds in person and they really are gorgeous. So, in my humble opinion, you can at least relax about the diamond. Just tell him what you like or don't like when you have the diamond in hand.

I'm sure others will give you great advice about the setting. Just keep your gf's style in mind. Good luck and come back with lots of pics.

Edited to say the aset looks good to me.

That's great to hear, its tough not seeing them in person so knowing you have seen his work helps ease the nerves. The photos he posts always have looked good, so I'm anxiously awaiting more.

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's great to hear, its tough not seeing them in person so knowing you have seen his work helps ease the nerves. The photos he posts always have looked good, so I'm anxiously awaiting more.

Please let us know what you think when you receive it.

BrownGinger

Shiny_Rock
I can’t wait to hear what you think! I was floored by how beautiful my heritage cushion was so I can’t wait to see yours.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
It will be lovely, and you are in great hands. Jon worked with me to customize a setting from a inspiration ring, and his master bench got every detail perfect. You are in good hands!

1blkt

Rough_Rock
Trade
I can’t wait to hear what you think! I was floored by how beautiful my heritage cushion was so I can’t wait to see yours.

Just saw your photos and yours looks amazing!

Wish I found this site sooner, as there is so much info here, and more photos of stuff Jon has produced.

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock
Looks beautiful! That band looks very delicate at the joints, still 2mm? Does she like a solitaire, or shoulders, more like the inspiration?

That is stunning! What is the size/specs of the centre stone?? Congratulations!

1blkt

Rough_Rock
Trade
Looks beautiful! That band looks very delicate at the joints, still 2mm? Does she like a solitaire, or shoulders, more like the inspiration?

She likes the look of a solitaire and wants a halo, so the inspiration ring was more for the purpose of halo looks and it gave me a little bit better picture of what it would actually look like since it had a vintage cut diamond already.

I have no clue on actual mm measurements but I do agree it is on the delicate side. Is the area your referring to where the basket attaches to the shank? Learning the terminology as I go, or at least trying to.

Open to suggestions and ideas at this point.

Jonathan mentioned maybe going with a slightly larger round stone on the shank so it doesn't appear as delicate so I think he is going to send me a rendering of that as well. If that looks better I think it would help keep a little more distance from a wedding band rubbing the basket prongs too.

1blkt

Rough_Rock
Trade
That is stunning! What is the size/specs of the centre stone?? Congratulations!

Thank you!

We were shooting for a 1.2x1 ratio on a Heritage Elongated Cushion and the file he received from the cutter came back with it weighing in at 2.76cts.

He said he will give me more info soon once he has it in hand. He has been so helpful, I feel bad at times because I'm anxiously asking for updates on the diamond.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
W:kiss2:W!

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock
She likes the look of a solitaire and wants a halo, so the inspiration ring was more for the purpose of halo looks and it gave me a little bit better picture of what it would actually look like since it had a vintage cut diamond already.

I have no clue on actual mm measurements but I do agree it is on the delicate side. Is the area your referring to where the basket attaches to the shank? Learning the terminology as I go, or at least trying to.

Open to suggestions and ideas at this point.

Jonathan mentioned maybe going with a slightly larger round stone on the shank so it doesn't appear as delicate so I think he is going to send me a rendering of that as well. If that looks better I think it would help keep a little more distance from a wedding band rubbing the basket prongs too.

Without measurements my comments might be off base, but because it looks so delicate my mind goes to comfort and durability. Some people find that a thin band (especially with a larger and therefore heavier stone, as your beautiful stone is) can be uncomfortable. Also, thin bands can warp and bend with long term frequent wear (the kind of wear an e-ring is likely to sustain).

It’s a lovely ring, and the delicate style is very popular. E-rings get a ton of wear so I always encourage people to consider durability.

1blkt

Rough_Rock
Trade
1616104844232.png
1616104879047.png
1616104909535.png
Thoughts on this versus the other?

I think I like this better and for some reason I feel like it's a little more timeless.

Albeit, she has hinted at rings with the other style shank, how do you think it would pair if the wedding band was like this:

1616105121251.png

123ducklings brought up great points that I had never considered beyond durability the aspect. Would a style like the new setup be more likely to be comfortable for continuous wear?

Last edited:

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
1616104844232.png
1616104879047.png
1616104909535.png

I think I like this better and for some reason I feel like it's a little more timeless.

Albeit, she has hinted at rings with the other style shank, how do you think it would pair if the wedding band was like this:

1616105121251.png

123ducklings brought up great points that I had never considered beyond durability the aspect. Would a style like the new setup be more likely to be comfortable for continuous wear?

I'm no help because I think they are both very pretty. I also don't stack, so hopefully others will weigh in. I would also ask for John's opinion on durability, especially since she likes the other style.

MjK1

Shiny_Rock
Beautiful ring! The only change I would make is to thin down the claws holding the center stone...make them a bit more delicate looking

1blkt

Rough_Rock
Trade
He is recommending the new style for durability and overall balance.

I mentioned the claws, I think that is an option if I go with the master bench versus Stuller. Just waiting to hear back pricing on the two.

Was planning on presenting in this box that I just got my hands on.
IMG_8641.jpg

m1918

Shiny_Rock
1616104844232.png
1616104879047.png
1616104909535.png

1616105121251.png

they’re both pretty but I also prefer this one!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
1616104844232.png
1616104879047.png
1616104909535.png

1616105121251.png

I like the 2nd option (this one I quoted) more than the first you posted

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock
Does she want to wear a wedding band with the ring eventually? Does it matter whether the band sits flush? The larger round diamonds on the e-ring band will be a limiting factor. The basket might also limit this, so if the wedding band sitting flush is important you might want to discuss that with Jonathan and get his design input.

What about a more streamlined band for the e-ring and then doing the marquise-dot style band as the wedding ring? Just throwing out ideas for you to consider; you know her taste best.

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does she want to wear a wedding band with the ring eventually? Does it matter whether the band sits flush? The larger round diamonds on the e-ring band will be a limiting factor. The basket might also limit this, so if the wedding band sitting flush is important you might want to discuss that with Jonathan and get his design input.

What about a more streamlined band for the e-ring and then doing the marquise-dot style band as the wedding ring? Just throwing out ideas for you to consider; you know her taste best.

Agree with all of this. Just a thought: perhaps John can create a matching wedding band that will work with whatever design you ultimately choose.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Is the band an eternity? That's going to make sizing difficult. You can add pads to go down, but you can't go up, unless you shave metal, which there won't be much with this style. I would not do a full eternity. I would leave it at a half or 3/4 style.

Has she ever worn a ring with texture and pave between the fingers? I personally hate the feeling. I don't like to feel anything but a smooth band between and on the back of my hand.

I prefer the second band as well.

1blkt

Rough_Rock
Trade
Thank you everyone for all the great points. I took a little time to sift through the various likes she had on instagram and pinterest and I don't think having the wedding band flush will be an issue. A lot of the ones she liked have various styles and/or stones.

Jonathon was kind enough to send me this image
1616445711366.png

She does currently have a few rings with texture and when we did go looking she did gravitate to trying those on as well so I should be okay there.

However, I just talked to Jon because I didn't even think about the future sizing issue. I told him it would be okay to stop at the last 2 round diamonds if need be. As of right now I think we are just waiting on his benches recommendation.

Not sure if it will come to life but since the bands won't be touching I asked if he could get me an idea on what it might look like with some engraving on the sides of the shank. I'm completely happy with how it looks currently but if that takes it over the top I might have to pull the trigger.

The best news though is he received the diamond so just waiting on details. He said he will be posting via his channels soon.

1blkt

Rough_Rock
Trade
I'm not sure if this forum allows it but I'm going to try linking Jonathan's post on the diamond for now since that's all I've seen thus far. Hopefully I get this right...

Moderators feel free to delete this if I'm not allowed to, sorry.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not sure if this forum allows it but I'm going to try linking Jonathan's post on the diamond for now since that's all I've seen thus far. Hopefully I get this right...

Moderators feel free to delete this if I'm not allowed to, sorry.

omg I saw that on IG and wondered if it was yours or another PSers. SO GORGEOUS

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results