shape
carat
color
clarity

Engagement ring help

tholo

Rough_Rock
I really liked this diamond, but upon putting it into the HCA tool (it had a score of 0.5), it said it may be too dark and would be ideal for earrings and pendants.

What are your guys' thoughts for this diamond in an engagement ring? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Weight: 0.96
Depth: 60.3
Table: 55%
Crown angle 34
Pavilion angle 40.6

Here is the IS:
GetFileAttachment

Todd Gray

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
This should help you evaluate the Ideal Scope image:

ideal-scope-reference-chart.jpg

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really liked this diamond, but upon putting it into the HCA tool (it had a score of 0.5), it said it may be too dark and would be ideal for earrings and pendants.

What are your guys' thoughts for this diamond in an engagement ring? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Weight: 0.96
Depth: 60.3
Table: 55%
Crown angle 34
Pavilion angle 40.6

Here is the IS:
GetFileAttachment
The HCA is a rejection tool, designed to filter out stones over a score of 2 (which have angles that don't work well).

A lower HCA score usually indicates a shallower diamond. This can be good because it might have a larger spread (size) for its carat weight, which means it looks bigger - and that is generally seen as a good thing ;-)

Some stones might be overly-obstructed (i.e. be reflecting too much of the viewer's shadow back to the viewer) but not all - hence the use of the word 'may' in the HCA text you have mentioned. I think the length of the LGFs (lower girdle facets) comes into play here (IIRC...) - are they 75%? 80%?

If you like it, and if it does not look too dark when viewed head on, then it could be a good purchase - if I am correct above, it might look large for its weight; the small table suggests it might create a lot of coloured 'fire' rather than just white sparkles (because the smaller table means the facets between the table and the girdle are larger, and they create dispersion of white light into fans of the rainbow colours that make up white light); and being just under the 1ct mark, you would get all the visible size of a 1ct but without paying the premium associated with stones at or just over the psychological 1ct barrier.

If you have the stone on Hold with the vendor, please post a link here and we may be able to advise further.

You should also ask for an ASETscope image from the vendor, if they are able to provide them. This will help you ascertain cut accuracy and any leakage.

You should make sure you have the vendor's Returns policy in writing before you commit to buying if you like it. A good vendor will offer Returns at zero or minimal cost to you. A poor vendor will not allow you to return it or may only offer 'store credit'.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results