shape
carat
color
clarity

Engagement Ring HELP

theoneupper02

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone,

My buddy told me about this forum a while back and I have been secretly stalking the site for a while now. I finally decided to purchase an engagement ring (holy crap!) and want to get the community's feedback on the diamond.

I am currently looking at this diamond from Blue Nile:
https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-de...DiamondDetails&action=newTab&catalogView=true

I was able to have Blue Nile price match this diamond with one of my local jewelry stores. My main concern is the crystal inclusion. I've heard conflicting information on this: some say you won't be able to tell and other say crystal inclusion on the table is the worst place for it to be.

I was hoping to get some feedback from the community on how big of deal is the crystal inclusion? Will it be noticeable? Am I worrying too much?

Thank you in advance and I appreciate your help!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Everyone,

My buddy told me about this forum a while back and I have been secretly stalking the site for a while now. I finally decided to purchase an engagement ring (holy crap!) and want to get the community's feedback on the diamond.

I am currently looking at this diamond from Blue Nile:
https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-de...DiamondDetails&action=newTab&catalogView=true
IMO, the stone is cut too deep at 62.7%. You are losing diameter for its weight.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh no, its bad. The angles are not complimentary at all(35.5/41.4). Plus like DF mentioned its too deep. My opinion is to Cancel the order and start over
with more knowledge.

Depth 60 - 62.3
table 54-57
crown 34-35
pavilion 40.6 - 41.0

(34 crown pairs better with 41 pavilion and 35 crown pairs better with 40.6)

35.5 crown may pair with a 40.6 pavilion but you really need an ASET image to make sure there is no leakage.

Check to make sure the strong blue has no effect on the stone.

holeydonut

Shiny_Rock
If she’s ok with Fluor... you can check out Brian Gavin’s blue line. They have an October Promo for 10% off which brings the price of this diamond to pretty close to what BN was asking.

F vs G though...

Price (before coupon)
$8,247 / wire $8,000

1.008 G VS2
Table % 55.8
Depth % 61.5
Crown % 15.30
Crown Angle 34.70
Pav Angle 40.80

https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/...1.008-g-vs2-round-diamond-ags-bl-104101026087

Edit... Sorry just realized that was VS2 and the crystal inclusion could be an issue due to its location on the table.

This is one is similar to the one you’re looking at and as VS1. But it’s starting to be priced out of the range of the BN you posted. I guess this is the BGD premium to get his super-ideal cut geometry versus a standard GIA “excellent” cut.

Price (before coupon)
$8,671 / wire $8,411

1.025 G VS1
Table % 56.4
Depth % 61.8
Crown % 15.10
Crown Angle 34.70
Pav Angle 40.70

https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/...1.025-g-vs1-round-diamond-ags-bl-104098562018

Crystal inclusions are tricky... and I think that’s why it’s important to be able to see a diamond before you buy it. Good thing most online vendors have return policies.

I’d wager the vast majority of people can’t see a VS1 crystal inclusion on the table. But if your fiancé-to-be has her own opinion on this, it’s worthwhile to have her inspect the diamond preferably before the thing has a chance to get dusty/dirty :)

Last edited:

crbl999

Brilliant_Rock
I would pass on that stone as it is cut too deep. To answer your question about the crystal it is a non issue in a VS1 stone. Will be eye clean and have no impact on performance.

theoneupper02

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for your feedback. I didn't realize that the stone was cut so deep. I'll keep that in mind when I look for a different diamond. So going off what tyty333 mentioned, I should try to find a diamond with:

Depth 60 - 62.3
table 54-57
crown 34-35
pavilion 40.6 - 41.0

Is that correct? What is the downside of a diamond that is cut too deep?

Thanks again.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks everyone for your feedback. I didn't realize that the stone was cut so deep. I'll keep that in mind when I look for a different diamond. So going off what tyty333 mentioned, I should try to find a diamond with:

Depth 60 - 62.3
table 54-57
crown 34-35
pavilion 40.6 - 41.0

Is that correct? What is the downside of a diamond that is cut too deep?

Thanks again.

If a stone is cut too deep then it will face up smaller, and won't "look" it's weight. So essentially you'll be paying for size you can't see, which IMHO is wasteful in terms of money. Also, they won't have as good light return so they won't sparkle as much or look as good as one in the ranges that @tyty333 mentioned.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium

theoneupper02

Rough_Rock
You don’t mention your desired specs or budget, but you can use the search tool under “Resources” above to find some stones, here are a couple just on a quick look,

https://www.b2cjewels.com/dd/9744933/round-diamond-F-color-VS2-Clarity?sku=9744933&utm_ has AGS 0 certificate which means it’s already been checked for light performance,

https://www.b2cjewels.com/dd/11890906/round-diamond-G-color-VS1-Clarity?sku=11890906&utm_

Thanks, I will definitely check out that tool. The range of specs I am looking for is:

Minimum 1.00 carat
Excellent cut or better
F Color or better
VS1 Clarity or better
Budget: $6000 +/- a few hundred

I actually didn't know to check the depth of cut or the size of table as others mentioned so I will need to pay close attention to that. Again, I appreciate everyone's feedback. It has been very helpful!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, I will definitely check out that tool. The range of specs I am looking for is:

Minimum 1.00 carat
Excellent cut or better
F Color or better
VS1 Clarity or better
Budget: $6000 +/- a few hundred

I actually didn't know to check the depth of cut or the size of table as others mentioned so I will need to pay close attention to that. Again, I appreciate everyone's feedback. It has been very helpful!

You'll have a hard time finding those specs within budget, since your clarity and color requirements are so high. Would you be ok with a VS2 or eye-clean SI1, or is there a cultural reason for the high clarity? In addition, are you sure your indented (or you, if this is for you) can see the color differences between E/F/G? Most people find G to be extremely white, and do not have any issues.

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I know you said VS1 or better but i'm including several nice looking VS2's that should all very much be eye clean.

1.02 F VS2
https://www.fourmine.com/diamonds/index/diamonddetail/id/197702003

1.01 E VS1
https://www.fourmine.com/diamonds/index/diamonddetail/id/180691-28 :love:

1.01 F VS2
https://www.fourmine.com/diamonds/index/diamonddetail/id/729407983

1.01 D VS2
https://www.fourmine.com/diamonds/index/diamonddetail/id/142453

1.03 D VS1 (it doesn't look crisp in the pic but i think it's just poorly photographed. I'd request a video)
https://www.fourmine.com/diamonds/index/diamonddetail/id/722944561

1.02 F VVS2 (the crown is high at 36 but it pairs nicely with the 40.6 pavillion. very nice stone with excellent clarity)
https://www.fourmine.com/diamonds/index/diamonddetail/id/1817504

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You'll have a hard time finding those specs within budget, since your clarity and color requirements are so high. Would you be ok with a VS2 or eye-clean SI1, or is there a cultural reason for the high clarity? In addition, are you sure your indented (or you, if this is for you) can see the color differences between E/F/G? Most people find G to be extremely white, and do not have any issues.

Your original pick is showing a price of $7.1k. If you drop your budget you're probably going to need to drop your specs.

theoneupper02

Rough_Rock
Your original pick is showing a price of $7.1k. If you drop your budget you're probably going to need to drop your specs.

I was actually able to get Blue Nile to price match a diamond from my local jewelry store that's why it met my budget of $6,000.

theoneupper02

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone,

Again thank you for all the feedback! I thought I did some thorough research but I've received a lot of helpful information reading your feedback and viewing your links. Some background information, I have a local jewelry store that has some pretty competitive prices for diamonds. I tried out the price matching service from Blue Nile. They only accept price matching on "almost identical" diamonds. In the end I was able to get them to price match a diamond for me. However, instead of lowering the price of their diamond, they actually purchased the diamond from my local store and they plan to sell me that one. I find this kind of weird but the Blue Nile rep confirmed I would be purchasing the local store diamond but under their warranty/policy. The link I posted before was for the Blue Nile diamond not the one at my local store. The spec for the diamond that I will actually purchase (local store) is below:

1.04 carat
Excellent cut
F
VS1
Excellent polish
Excellent Symmetry
Strong Blue fluorescence

depth: 60.5
table: 59
crown: 34.0
pavilion: 40.6

Unfortunately the diamond is no longer on the website so I can't link it and I'm not sure how to link a pdf of the GIA certificate.

Any thoughts? Has anyone tried price matching by Blue Nile and what is your experience?

Thanks again for all your help.

beardog

Rough_Rock
Do some research on 60/60 vs tolkowski diamonds & figure out what is for you. I don't think you'd find recommendations here to search for a diamond with the parameters you listed but that doesn't mean the listed diamond won't be beautiful. With F &vs1 I think you'd be hard pressed to find a super ideal so you'll just have to decide what's most important to you.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Everyone,

Again thank you for all the feedback! I thought I did some thorough research but I've received a lot of helpful information reading your feedback and viewing your links. Some background information, I have a local jewelry store that has some pretty competitive prices for diamonds. I tried out the price matching service from Blue Nile. They only accept price matching on "almost identical" diamonds. In the end I was able to get them to price match a diamond for me. However, instead of lowering the price of their diamond, they actually purchased the diamond from my local store and they plan to sell me that one. I find this kind of weird but the Blue Nile rep confirmed I would be purchasing the local store diamond but under their warranty/policy. The link I posted before was for the Blue Nile diamond not the one at my local store. The spec for the diamond that I will actually purchase (local store) is below:

1.04 carat
Excellent cut
F
VS1
Excellent polish
Excellent Symmetry
Strong Blue fluorescence

depth: 60.5
table: 59
crown: 34.0
pavilion: 40.6

Unfortunately the diamond is no longer on the website so I can't link it and I'm not sure how to link a pdf of the GIA certificate.

Any thoughts? Has anyone tried price matching by Blue Nile and what is your experience?

Thanks again for all your help.

I would strongly recommend looking for a stone with the proportions given to you above, rather than this. Not to say it won't be pretty, but there are more "ideal" stones to be found.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Interesting that BN would poach the stone from you and then try to resell it back to you. I personally don't like this methodology and would make me pass. Also it tells me you should have pushed your jeweler harder as they sold to BN cheaper than you so that BN could add a profit and sell to you at the same price. It just all feels dirty and like something is off IMO.

I don't like the specs of either stone you listed. The first was too deep at 62.7 and had a bad angle combo of 35.5/41.4.

This second one is closer to a 60/60 style diamond which means both the depth and table is equal to 60%. This is an older style of cut where it was believed those two proportions would yield the ultimate diamond. However, it takes much more to define a well cut stone.

This stone will have more white light return than rainbow flashes of what most people consider sparkle. Also while the crown and pavilion fall within the criteria it doesn't really meet the much more important aspect of being complimentary. In this case you are pairing a shallow crown (again, more white return) with a shallow pavilion.

Using the Tolk prportion criteria listed above, this falls just slightly outside ideal parameters to excellent. However, if cutting and symmetry is not of a high caliber it is also on the fringe of very good. On the flip side, if cut and symmetry is near perfect it might hit ideal with the caveat it will have the white light return personality instead of a big rainbow flash personality.

On a positive, this stone probably measures a little larger because of the large table (something else that increases more white and less rainbow as smaller tables equals more fire).

I would not buy without an idealscope and/or ASET image to confirm light performance return. Also before buying you should experience a well cut Tolk style diamond as most people prefer that over this 60/60 style.

theoneupper02

Rough_Rock
Interesting that BN would poach the stone from you and then try to resell it back to you. I personally don't like this methodology and would make me pass. Also it tells me you should have pushed your jeweler harder as they sold to BN cheaper than you so that BN could add a profit and sell to you at the same price. It just all feels dirty and like something is off IMO.

I don't like the specs of either stone you listed. The first was too deep at 62.7 and had a bad angle combo of 35.5/41.4.

This second one is closer to a 60/60 style diamond which means both the depth and table is equal to 60%. This is an older style of cut where it was believed those two proportions would yield the ultimate diamond. However, it takes much more to define a well cut stone.

This stone will have more white light return than rainbow flashes of what most people consider sparkle. Also while the crown and pavilion fall within the criteria it doesn't really meet the much more important aspect of being complimentary. In this case you are pairing a shallow crown (again, more white return) with a shallow pavilion.

Using the Tolk prportion criteria listed above, this falls just slightly outside ideal parameters to excellent. However, if cutting and symmetry is not of a high caliber it is also on the fringe of very good. On the flip side, if cut and symmetry is near perfect it might hit ideal with the caveat it will have the white light return personality instead of a big rainbow flash personality.

On a positive, this stone probably measures a little larger because of the large table (something else that increases more white and less rainbow as smaller tables equals more fire).

I would not buy without an idealscope and/or ASET image to confirm light performance return. Also before buying you should experience a well cut Tolk style diamond as most people prefer that over this 60/60 style.

Thanks for taking time to detailing this out. Initially I only paid attention to the 4Cs. This definitely adds another layer of complexity when choosing a diamond. I'll definitely do some more digging to see if I can find a different diamond with ideal proportions and complimentary angels. However, given my budget I think I may need to settle for something that is not ideal. I can spend more but I really want to be responsible with this purchase as I have to consider other future financial commitments (wedding, home, babies, etc.).

I really appreciate everyone's help. Hopefully I will find a great deal for a nice diamond.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for taking time to detailing this out. Initially I only paid attention to the 4Cs. This definitely adds another layer of complexity when choosing a diamond. I'll definitely do some more digging to see if I can find a different diamond with ideal proportions and complimentary angels. However, given my budget I think I may need to settle for something that is not ideal. I can spend more but I really want to be responsible with this purchase as I have to consider other future financial commitments (wedding, home, babies, etc.).

I really appreciate everyone's help. Hopefully I will find a great deal for a nice diamond.

You're welcome, and if you listen to the advise and guidance of the people here you WILL end up with a beautiful diamond that meets your expectations and price range.

Speaking of the 4C's I think it's important to understand why you are seeking some of them. Can you explain more so we can better help you?
  • I noticed you targeted a 1 carat stone. Is there a reason it couldn't be near 1 carat, such as 0.90-0.99 carats? The reason I ask is because in retail markets, there are price premiums associated with magic weights such as 1 carat, 2 carats, etc. Additionally if you look at the measurements you will notice there is minimal differences between them. This is because part of the diamond weight is contained in the the depth of the stone that we physically don't see. So buying just slightly under a magic carat weight can give us considerable value without a size variance our eyes can discern.
  • Also I noticed you targeted an F+ color. Is this for cultural reasons? Or is one or both of you extremely color sensitive? Many people find an H+ stone to be acceptable. Most find a G+ stone to be acceptable. If you can tell the difference and it's important than I understand but if it's because you heard a good stone is F+ color, that simply isn't true especially considering there is very little difference looking at the tops of the stones. Color/tint is graded and seen from the side of the stones and then it's very minor between F-H.
  • Clarity would be another area where I would again be curious your reasoning. We usually see Asian cultures demand F+ and VS1+ clarity. While I really prefer higher clarity stones myself (it's a visual and mind thing for me), the reality is it really pushes your price higher and a fairly good portion of SI1+ stones will be eye clean. The majority of VS2+ stones will be eye clean as well. You don't have to jump to VS1 to ensure a good quality stone where inclusions can't be seen.
  • Although I saved it for last, cut is the most important of the C's. It's also the hardest to gauge. This is where this forum will pay you dividends. We can look at angles & proportions, and then have you request images, etc to confirm anticipated light return. At the end of the day, a 0.95ct ideal cut diamond will steal the show from a 1.10ct diamond that isn't well cut. The ideal stone will look bigger and appear whiter both, not to mention have more sparkle. IMO, this is the most important C of the group and one you don't sacrifice.
  • When shopping, it's very, very important for you to realize buying diamonds is what we call a zero sum game. What is this means is that because you have a set budget, then the 4 C's will need to adjust up/down their respective scales to stay within your budget confines.
I'm not trying to talk you out of or persuade you into a diamond you don't want or find attractive, I'm just trying to educate you. Right now you have a pretty high ask and a low budget. We need to find a happy medium. As it stands @farrahlyn gave you some excellent suggestions from the $6,500 to $7,000 range.

If we better understand your reasoning on the 4 C's then maybe we can adjust further to ensure you get the qualities that are most important to you. And while I know it's tempting to say everything is equally important, the reality is it's not. As an old mentor would say, if everything is equally critical then honestly nothing is critical as you get burn out and can't focus properly on any given task/priority.

theoneupper02

Rough_Rock
You're welcome, and if you listen to the advise and guidance of the people here you WILL end up with a beautiful diamond that meets your expectations and price range.

Speaking of the 4C's I think it's important to understand why you are seeking some of them. Can you explain more so we can better help you?
  • I noticed you targeted a 1 carat stone. Is there a reason it couldn't be near 1 carat, such as 0.90-0.99 carats? The reason I ask is because in retail markets, there are price premiums associated with magic weights such as 1 carat, 2 carats, etc. Additionally if you look at the measurements you will notice there is minimal differences between them. This is because part of the diamond weight is contained in the the depth of the stone that we physically don't see. So buying just slightly under a magic carat weight can give us considerable value without a size variance our eyes can discern.
  • Also I noticed you targeted an F+ color. Is this for cultural reasons? Or is one or both of you extremely color sensitive? Many people find an H+ stone to be acceptable. Most find a G+ stone to be acceptable. If you can tell the difference and it's important than I understand but if it's because you heard a good stone is F+ color, that simply isn't true especially considering there is very little difference looking at the tops of the stones. Color/tint is graded and seen from the side of the stones and then it's very minor between F-H.
  • Clarity would be another area where I would again be curious your reasoning. We usually see Asian cultures demand F+ and VS1+ clarity. While I really prefer higher clarity stones myself (it's a visual and mind thing for me), the reality is it really pushes your price higher and a fairly good portion of SI1+ stones will be eye clean. The majority of VS2+ stones will be eye clean as well. You don't have to jump to VS1 to ensure a good quality stone where inclusions can't be seen.
  • Although I saved it for last, cut is the most important of the C's. It's also the hardest to gauge. This is where this forum will pay you dividends. We can look at angles & proportions, and then have you request images, etc to confirm anticipated light return. At the end of the day, a 0.95ct ideal cut diamond will steal the show from a 1.10ct diamond that isn't well cut. The ideal stone will look bigger and appear whiter both, not to mention have more sparkle. IMO, this is the most important C of the group and one you don't sacrifice.
  • When shopping, it's very, very important for you to realize buying diamonds is what we call a zero sum game. What is this means is that because you have a set budget, then the 4 C's will need to adjust up/down their respective scales to stay within your budget confines.
I'm not trying to talk you out of or persuade you into a diamond you don't want or find attractive, I'm just trying to educate you. Right now you have a pretty high ask and a low budget. We need to find a happy medium. As it stands @farrahlyn gave you some excellent suggestions from the $6,500 to $7,000 range.

If we better understand your reasoning on the 4 C's then maybe we can adjust further to ensure you get the qualities that are most important to you. And while I know it's tempting to say everything is equally important, the reality is it's not. As an old mentor would say, if everything is equally critical then honestly nothing is critical as you get burn out and can't focus properly on any given task/priority.

Hi Sledge,

To be honest, after reading everyone's feedback I feel even less prepared now than I was a week ago. But I take this as a good opportunity to learn. If you are going to spend this much you should do your homework.

Carat - I settled on 1 carat because from what I read it was a good place to start. I am flexible on this and even my friends told me to look for some 0.90-0.99 as they can look just as big as a 1 carat.

Color and Clarity - You kind of nailed this one. My girlfriend is Asian and I think she would want F+ and VS1+ so that's how I landed on that.

Cut - The cut is definitely the most important to me. I made sure to look at only excellent cuts. Is excellent and ideal interchangeable? I've read to not pay too much attention to diamonds labeled as "Astor Ideal" or "Superior Ideal" cut just because they are mostly marketing ploys.

I actually took at look at @farrahlyn (many thanks) recommendation and I am very interested in:

https://www.fourmine.com/diamonds/index/diamonddetail/id/180691-28

From what I can tell it hits all the requirements listed above and seems like a great find. I am no longer considering the diamond in my original post and I am pretty much back to the drawing board at this point.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cut - The cut is definitely the most important to me. I made sure to look at only excellent cuts. Is excellent and ideal interchangeable? I've read to not pay too much attention to diamonds labeled as "Astor Ideal" or "Superior Ideal" cut just because they are mostly marketing ploys.

I actually took at look at @farrahlyn (many thanks) recommendation and I am very interested in:

From what I can tell it hits all the requirements listed above and seems like a great find. I am no longer considering the diamond in my original post and I am pretty much back to the drawing board at this point.

Thank you for sharing the additional information. It is helpful in trying to guide you the right way.

Despite the terminology, a GIA "excellent" stone is rarely an excellent cut. This isn't to say that GIA excellent cut stones can't be excellent, but unfortunately GIA has broadened their range so wide of what they consider "excellent" that the majority aren't. It's kind of sad really.

Instead, we like to use proportions that another lab, AGS, will typically find to be "ideal" when/if that stone was ever tested in their labs.

The funny thing is that all ideal stones will always be excellent too. However, very few excellent stones ever meet the ideal status. So no, the terms aren't interchangeable in that sense.

To help us find ideal stones, we look for these proportions:
  • 54-57 table
  • 60-62.4 depth (prefer 62 or less)
  • 34-35 crown (maybe 35.5 if paired with 40.6 pavilion)
  • 40.6-40.9 pavilion (maybe 41 if paired with 34 crown)
  • 75-80 lower girdle facets (prefer 75 for bolder rainbow flashes)
The thing not listed above is the fact that even in this narrow set of proportions, you still need to ensure you are using complimentary angles. So pairing a steep crown (35) with a steep pavilion (40.9) is not advisable. Some of the super ideal vendors like WF, BGD, HPD/CBI or VC may be able to get away with doing this because they work at a higher level of optical symmetry and cutting precision that must cutters don't.

Additionally different variables provide different personalities in the diamond. For instance, a small 55 table will produce more fire than a 57 table. A 35 crown will produce more fire than a 34 crown. On the flip side of both scenario, you get more white light return. Just like 75 LGF's will provide bolder rainbow flashes, whereas 80 LGF's will provide more splintery white light return. Neither is necessarily good or bad. It just depends what you consider "best". Most people consider lots of fire/sparkle with a good balance of white light return to be best so that is generally what we lean towards.

In all cases, when you are shopping in the virtual inventory of GIA stones, I like to follow these simple procedures:
  1. Search for stones that met criteria listed above.
  2. Review the pictures, videos and GIA certs to see if the stone has a shot (ask for help if needed).
  3. Use the HCA tool on this forum to find a stone between 1-2.
  4. If you seem to have a reasonable candidate, place the stone on reserve & ask for idealscope, ASET and hearts & arrows images. Most likely you will be lucky to get one of them, let alone all of them, so this is hit & miss.
  5. Assuming you get an image or two then post for us to help you review.
  6. Hopefully the images are great and you proceed with buying. If the images come back bad, you start over. In the event no images are available, you have to weigh the risk of the variables that you know against what they could be and make a gut call. We can normally help guide you on this as certain proportions normally yield a good selection.

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi Sledge,

To be honest, after reading everyone's feedback I feel even less prepared now than I was a week ago. But I take this as a good opportunity to learn. If you are going to spend this much you should do your homework.

Carat - I settled on 1 carat because from what I read it was a good place to start. I am flexible on this and even my friends told me to look for some 0.90-0.99 as they can look just as big as a 1 carat.

Color and Clarity - You kind of nailed this one. My girlfriend is Asian and I think she would want F+ and VS1+ so that's how I landed on that.

Definitely stick to the F+ and VS1+ then, her family will surely ask and there will be judgement if it's not colorless and of good clarity. Glad to help! I found the stone on two other sites but fourmine has the best price. it's on Adiamor also who will price match so take a quick look and see which one has settings you'd prefer. and i'd call and see if it can be put on hold while you decide, there are lurkers that will snatch up recommended diamonds.
https://www.adiamor.com/Diamonds/1.01-ct-E-VS1-Excellent-Cut-Round-Diamond/D42383982?q=42383982

there is also this one: (slightly smaller but also less expensive.) just not sure about the strong fluoro, you'd have to ask her or some friends/family if it's ok)
https://www.adiamor.com/Diamonds/0.93-ct-D-VVS1-Affinity-Cut-Round-Diamond/D42291868

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agree with @farrahlyn, make sure you reserve so the poachers don't steal your stone.

I do prefer the proportions of the smaller stone and also the color and clarity. However, I am not crazy about the strong fluor in a D color stone. I don't have a problem with fluor and my fiance's stone has medium fluor. The difference is hers is an H and in lower colors many view it as a benefit. I think strong fluor in high colored stones give pause to some supporters of fluor stones.

My own experience has been I can't really tell a difference unless I whip out a UV black light.

Aside from fluor, there is about 0.20mm difference in size. While IMO it's not a significant difference, your eyes would likely see a very minor difference if compared side to side. If you were to look at the stones independently I am not convinced you'd see the difference, nor would your mind be blown thinking the larger stone was massively bigger.

theoneupper02

Rough_Rock

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Quick update:

I requested idealscope and ASET images for both diamonds, however the jeweler was not able to provide any. They referred me to the videos on the site.

Should I press them for the images or find alternative ways of acquiring them? Thanks.

https://www.adiamor.com/Diamonds/0.93-ct-D-VVS1-Affinity-Cut-Round-Diamond/D42291868

https://www.adiamor.com/Diamonds/1.01-ct-E-VS1-Excellent-Cut-Round-Diamond/D42383982?q=42383982

it's not surprising that they're not available, not all vendors can or will provide those two. JA will for many stones. Maybe contact ED, they have both stones listed (and at a better price). They offer IS and ASET on some of their stones but these appear to be maybe overseas so not sure.
https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamo...-Carat-D-Color-VVS1-Clarity-Diamond-2302Z6059

https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamo...0-Carat-E-Color-VS1-Clarity-Diamond-470545203

I'm leaning toward the 1.01 E VS1 just because the D stone has strong fluoro and i think culturally it may be an issue.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Quick update:

I requested idealscope and ASET images for both diamonds, however the jeweler was not able to provide any. They referred me to the videos on the site.

Should I press them for the images or find alternative ways of acquiring them? Thanks.

Just a heads up, for the 1.01ct E VS1 stone you have some more options. Not only better pricing but they might be able to get the images you want. Each retailer has different relationships with each supplier is why.

Also, one retailer may have a setting you prefer or is cheaper than the other. Or maybe reputation is stronger with one company, or perhaps the trade-in & return policies are more favorable.

Since none of these retailers have a unique product to offer you, and others are offering the stone for less money you have all the leverage in the world to negotiate a much better deal for yourself regardless where you buy the diamond.

https://www.rarecarat.com/diamond-report/177b1b49-fb68-4a00-af81-be6ca32e1657

upload_2018-11-2_13-21-38.png

Looks like you also have some additional options for the 0.93ct D VVS1 stone as well. You have one less vendor here offering the same stone, but it's the same game. I'd ask these other companies if they can get the images. See if any say yes. Then negotiate down the price.

https://www.rarecarat.com/diamond-report/0b9f0746-5a05-4a09-aa09-c3b323a3fdc7

upload_2018-11-2_13-31-27.png

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
it's not surprising that they're not available, not all vendors can or will provide those two. JA will for many stones. Maybe contact ED, they have both stones listed (and at a better price). They offer IS and ASET on some of their stones but these appear to be maybe overseas so not sure.
https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamo...-Carat-D-Color-VVS1-Clarity-Diamond-2302Z6059

https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamo...0-Carat-E-Color-VS1-Clarity-Diamond-470545203

I'm leaning toward the 1.01 E VS1 just because the D stone has strong fluoro and i think culturally it may be an issue.

Looks like we posted on top of each other. RC didn't pick up ED, which is odd. Echo all @farrahlyn's thoughts here. I'd probably pass on the D with strong fluor myself. But that is a preference thing.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results