carat
color
clarity

Engagement Ring Help - RB with Side Pears

LitigatorChick

Brilliant_Rock

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
BGD settings are really well made. I do like that three-stone Grade a lot. I would also trust Brian's eye for matching the pears.

antelope1

Brilliant_Rock
I agree, but -- I would push for higher clarity on the pears (at least VS2 and Excellent polish) than you would think you'd need in sidestones. I think sig47 was having a problem with her sidestone pears a few months ago -- some dirt in an inaccesible area was hard to clean and make the sidestone look cloudy. Now, that can happen with any diamond, but I think pears "show more" because the pointy part is less reflective than the rounder part -- if that makes sense. So surface graining in the polish for example in the pointy part could trap dirt and show it more. I'd hate to detract from that amazing setting with cloudy pears.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
I just wanted to jump in and say that the reason the side stones were looking 'cloudy' was that it was hard to clean the underside. I think this will be an issue with almost ANY three stone setting with pears however, so either invest in some sort of small tool that can get in the underside, invest in an ultrasonic, or take it to a jeweler for a cleaning every few months. I don't think the side stones are certed but if you are concerned you could ask Brian, I believe they use high quality side stones though.

LitigatorChick

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks everyone. SLG, is yours a Brian Gavin? What are your specs? How was your experience?

slg47

Ideal_Rock
LitigatorChick|1294240997|2814867 said:
Thanks everyone. SLG, is yours a Brian Gavin? What are your specs? How was your experience?

I purchased my diamond locally (since I wanted a square cushion H&A) and had the setting made by Brian Gavin. It is a custom setting slightly different from the ones on their website. My experience was good, I think they did a fantastic job! I was especially worried about the pears matching and I think they match really nicely.

BrianGavin_SqHearts4b_070160.jpg
BrianGavin_SqHearts2b_070160.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results