shape
carat
color
clarity

Engagement Ring Help Please! (Halo Diamond)

ItsMeCorey

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone!

I've been "shopping" for an engagement ring for far too long for my high school sweetheart. We've been dating for 7 years and I've been looking for around 3 years. We've both finished college and have "adult" jobs/careers now so I am financially ready to get her something she'll love.

I've done all the investigative work the boyfriend can do as far as spying on her pinterest regularly, to even trying some on a couple of years ago. The verdict is halo with a budget of $7,000-$9,500.

However, now that I have my budget, I realized how hard it is to actually make this purchase. I've seen many rings that fall within my budget, but I want to make sure I'm getting her the nicest ring I can.

She has small hands, her ring size is a 4.5 and of the rings we tried on, this was one from a local jeweler/chain that she did like (which falls under my budget) :dance: :
http://shaneco.com/Jewelry-Catalog/Product-Detail.aspx?O=PRODSEARCH&X=41068012&nid=GN_Header_Search_Button

However, I found one that I know she will love more (as do all of you halo lovers here) - Victor Canera's Emilya Halo Solitaire:
https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/engagement/the-emilya-halo-solitaire

This leaves me with a couple of questions because I would purchase the Emilya 100 times over, but I want to make sure that my stone is covered:
- Is 1 carat too small? I found diamond within my budget and it's barely over 1ct (1.057) with a color J, VVS1 and ideal cut, AGS 000 grade but I am clueless as to whether or not the stone is a high value or if I should shop around.

I'd like to find something a little larger for the money but I honestly have no idea what to look for. After I buy a band, I have between $3500-$5500 but I would be near the top of my budget.

Thank you!

solgen

Brilliant_Rock
Have you inquired with VC about the price of the setting? It could easily eat half of your budget and that's for the upper end of what you specified.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm going to be honest. You do not have a Victor Canera budget. That setting runs 5500.

FORTUNATELY. You can get a VERY similar setting that will be super high quality from Brilliantly Engaged (ERD) as well.

http://www.brilliantlyengaged.com/designring

I would spend no more than 3k on the setting in platinum. And BE can do that for you. They'd done 100's of fabulous halos for pricescopers.

BE can also source you a gorgeous GIA 3 EX with a great idealscope image and HCA score (ask them for these parameters: Table: 53-60, Depth less than 62.3, and pavilion angle is 40.6-40.8, crown angle 34-35.5) H-I color and eyeclean. 90 points or larger and $6,500.

They are a fantastic vendor. You can do a search on ERD and BE and see the feedback for yourself.

SparklySoprano

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with Gypsy's sentiments and suggestions. And I'll add one more: check out James Allen. Here is one halo that is slightly more unique than the typical round halo.http://www.jamesallen.com/engagemen...-edge-pave-diamond-engagement-ring-item-49492

My avatar picture shows yet another JA design, as well. (twisted pave halo ring) But, that would be slightly off the beaten path of your search. I love it for that reason, though.

RockOnReen

Shiny_Rock
That "falling edge" halo at JA is just fabulous!

SparklySoprano

Brilliant_Rock
RockOnReen said:
It is! I debated between that one and the one I ended up choosing. It was tough!

I wanted to add a comment about stone size to ItsMeCorey: 1 carat is great with a halo. My stone is 1.03 with 6.5mm dimensions. I think it gives great finger presence with the halo. My finger is about the same, but can be slightly bigger than your SO's. I range from a 4.5 to an almost 5 depending on time of day, and season.

BTW: My advice on sizing is to not go too small. If you live in a colder climate, your SO's current finger size could really be different in the summer. And check sizing throughout the day to get a more accurate number.

ItsMeCorey

Rough_Rock
Thank you! I have inquired and I don't know if it's appropriate to comment on the quote I received (he may want it discrete so I want to respect that in case) but you are correct in the sense that it's close to half of my budget.

ItsMeCorey

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1453440923|3979555 said:
I'm going to be honest. You do not have a Victor Canera budget. That setting runs 5500.

FORTUNATELY. You can get a VERY similar setting that will be super high quality from Brilliantly Engaged (ERD) as well.

I would spend no more than 3k on the setting in platinum. And BE can do that for you. They'd done 100's of fabulous halos for pricescopers.

BE can also source you a gorgeous GIA 3 EX with a great idealscope image and HCA score (ask them for these parameters: Table: 53-60, Depth less than 62.3, and pavilion angle is 40.6-40.8, crown angle 34-35.5) H-I color and eyeclean. 90 points or larger and $6,500.

They are a fantastic vendor. You can do a search on ERD and BE and see the feedback for yourself.

Thank you for the detailed feedback and suggestions! This is a tough process as a guy and I feel like my gf has already spoon fed me everything a girl is supposed to give a guy and more haha! I will contact BE today.

ItsMeCorey

Rough_Rock
SparklySoprano|1453474570|3979661 said:
I agree with Gypsy's sentiments and suggestions. And I'll add one more: check out James Allen. Here is one halo that is slightly more unique than the typical round halo.http://www.jamesallen.com/engagemen...-edge-pave-diamond-engagement-ring-item-49492

My avatar picture shows yet another JA design, as well. (twisted pave halo ring) But, that would be slightly off the beaten path of your search. I love it for that reason, though.

Thank you SparklySoprano! I actually found jamesallen when I was googling and I have been searching there often too. I agree JA has beautiful designs and have eyeballed that same ring you linked until I had seen VC's halo!

ItsMeCorey

Rough_Rock
SparklySoprano|1453477554|3979685 said:
RockOnReen said:
It is! I debated between that one and the one I ended up choosing. It was tough!

I wanted to add a comment about stone size to ItsMeCorey: 1 carat is great with a halo. My stone is 1.03 with 6.5mm dimensions. I think it gives great finger presence with the halo. My finger is about the same, but can be slightly bigger than your SO's. I range from a 4.5 to an almost 5 depending on time of day, and season.

BTW: My advice on sizing is to not go too small. If you live in a colder climate, your SO's current finger size could really be different in the summer. And check sizing throughout the day to get a more accurate number.

Thanks for the advice, your ring is beautiful and I like the size! Fortunately I am in Phoenix AZ and it is hot 10 months out of the year and what most would consider "warm" the other two! (Although we find 50 degrees freezing!) She wears a promise ring I got her last year daily and hasn't had any issues with the climate change but great suggestion, I would have NEVER thought about that!

ItsMeCorey

Rough_Rock
solgen|1453439286|3979544 said:
Have you inquired with VC about the price of the setting? It could easily eat half of your budget and that's for the upper end of what you specified.

Thank you! I have inquired and I don't know if it's appropriate to comment on the quote I received (he may want it discrete so I want to respect that in case) but you are correct in the sense that it's close to half of my budget.

ItsMeCorey

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1453440923|3979555 said:

I'm currently talking with a couple of different vendors - thank you for the diamond details it's been much easier to give them this info. I'm curious, what size carat would $6,500 get me for a diamond with these attributes? Thank you Gypsy!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Depemds.on color and clarity and a few other factors like if the stone is a tolk style or a 60/60 and fluorescence. For clarity if you get an eyeclean Si1 that would be best. For color H/I. You should be able to hit a carat.

qui499kyl

Shiny_Rock
I want to put in a vote for brilliantly engaged as well.. Mark has been excellent to work with, and I don't have the finished product yet but I'm confident. I ended up getting hand forged halo with plain shank from him - he will do hand forged or cast/cad. He's cheaper than VC and SK. By about $800 or so in my case.

ItsMeCorey

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1453931861|3982574 said:
Depemds.on color and clarity and a few other factors like if the stone is a tolk style or a 60/60 and fluorescence. For clarity if you get an eyeclean Si1 that would be best. For color H/I. You should be able to hit a carat.

Thanks you so much Gypsy!

ItsMeCorey

Rough_Rock
qui499kyl|1453946359|3982719 said:
I want to put in a vote for brilliantly engaged as well.. Mark has been excellent to work with, and I don't have the finished product yet but I'm confident. I ended up getting hand forged halo with plain shank from him - he will do hand forged or cast/cad. He's cheaper than VC and SK. By about $800 or so in my case.

Thank you qui499kyl! I'm working with Chris currently from BE and he's been great as well. I appreciate your advice and glad you're experiencing the same results!

ItsMeCorey

Rough_Rock

Hi Gypsy,

BE was able to source this diamond for me based on your recommended specs and below is the GIA report/info on the stone. How does this look for $6,428?

GIA Report:
http://www.gia.edu/cs/Satellite?reportno=1205821728&c=Page&childpagename=GIA%2FPage%2FReportCheck&pagename=GIA%2FDispatcher&cid=1355954554547&encryptedString=null

Thank you!

ItsMeCorey

Rough_Rock
ItsMeCorey|1454093300|3983650 said:

Hi Gypsy,

BE was able to source this diamond for me based on your recommended specs and below is the GIA report/info on the stone. How does this look for $6,428?

GIA Report:
http://www.gia.edu/cs/Satellite?reportno=1205821728&c=Page&childpagename=GIA%2FPage%2FReportCheck&pagename=GIA%2FDispatcher&cid=1355954554547&encryptedString=null

Thank you!

Or would a diamond like this outperform the one above?
https://www.victorcanera.com/diamonds/3ma73n-1.057-j-vvs1-ideal-round

E B

Ideal_Rock
ItsMeCorey|1454103905|3983747 said:

Hi Gypsy,

GIA Report:

Thank you!

Can they get you an IS image for the H? I'd personally stick to H+ color if it's going in a halo.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
The H looks great. Get an IS and make sure it is eyeclean.

ItsMeCorey

Rough_Rock
Hopefully this works

120a.jpg

120b.jpg

120c.jpg

120d.jpg

ItsMeCorey

Rough_Rock
E B|1454105523|3983753 said:
ItsMeCorey|1454103905|3983747 said:

Hi Gypsy,

GIA Report:

Thank you!

Can they get you an IS image for the H? I'd personally stick to H+ color if it's going in a halo.

thank you!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
ItsMeCorey|1454120491|3983855 said:
Hopefully this works
Beautiful!!!!

Seriously.

ItsMeCorey

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1454122164|3983872 said:
ItsMeCorey|1454120491|3983855 said:
Hopefully this works
Beautiful!!!!

Seriously.

I'm so excited to hear that! Thank you so much for your help!!

ItsMeCorey

Rough_Rock
I just received the stone from Brilliantly Engaged and it's BEAUTIFUL!

To send it to be set, when I mail it out to be set, I have a few questions:
- I am using USPS Registered Insured, correct?
- Do I pack it there or should I package it beforehand? What's the safest way to pack it? In an envelope, then a small box inside of a large box? Are these boxes I buy there beforehand and pack it at home?
- Do I tell them at USPS the contents of the package OR only the value?
- Should I get the diamond appraised before sending it to prove the value or use the value I paid for the stone?

Thank you!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
How did it come packaged to you. Pack it before hand. In more than one box. I would package it in a small box, in something that doesn't make noise when it's shaken, and then in a slightly larger bag?

Do not list "loose diamond" anywhere.

I will usually insure for value and describe as "components for accessories."

ItsMeCorey

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1454644243|3987024 said:
How did it come packaged to you. Pack it before hand. In more than one box. I would package it in a small box, in something that doesn't make noise when it's shaken, and then in a slightly larger bag?

Do not list "loose diamond" anywhere.

I will usually insure for value and describe as "components for accessories."

Perfect thanks!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results