shape
carat
color
clarity

Engagement ring budget

TonydCT

Rough_Rock
I already bought the stone and ring, just looking to get a feel of what people think for the cost of an engagement ring - im 40, shes 45. I am borderline 6 figure salary. We bought a house last year, we have no problem paying our bills. She has 2 kids (15 & 24) and i have none, and weve both been married before. I spent around 6000 on my ex wifes engagment ring over 10 years ago, and made half as much salary. She is not materialistic at all, but i wanted her to have what she liked the most. Ive looked online and there are articles and blogs of what to spend, but i feel this is more geared to what younger couples with less financial history need to do. All that being said, what would you consider a reasonable budget? I wanted the stone to be 1c, vs1, excellent cut, gia. The band is a 3stone with filigree, slight customization. Thanks!

Fulvia

Shiny_Rock
Are you trying to gauge whether you got a good deal or not? Because this is a question almost impossible to answer as you've posed it given the variables. Who is making the setting - high-end, handmade or stock piece? Settings range tremendously. What sort of 'customization' and what, exactly, do you mean by a "3-stone band" (usually rings are 3 stone, not bands)? Further, you haven't specified a diamond colour, which affects the price a lot.

TonydCT

Rough_Rock
Thanks for replying. I think what I paid is a fair price and a good deal, I'm just wondering what people think should be spent on a ring under the circumstances I listed. Now it's different when you're 25 and don't have a house yet, but what about when you're 40, don't have little kids, and already have a house?

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What should you spend? Whatever you are comfortable with. One person might be comfortable with $1500 while another might be comfortable with $35,000.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I was a guy that had a good amount of disposable income and some money saved, I would spend whatever close to whatever I could to get my fiancé the ring she wanted. If she would be happy with whatever, it would make me wanna spend even more, for that reason alone. I would aim for at least 1.5-2.0. Would be great to get her something even bigger. That translates to me to be about $20-$25k.

I'm in my mid forties myself.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results