shape
carat
color
clarity

Engagement Ring - Antique Old Mine Cut - DFW

CDCdfw

Rough_Rock
Hello!

We are looking for an elongated old mine cut diamond for an engagement ring in the 2-3.5 ct range. Ideally we would like to see them in person to get a feel for size and quality. The only place I have found is Ring Concierge, but they are located in NYC. Are there any other jewelers that have these loose stones for sale in the Dallas Fort Worth area? Or even any other place so we can have a price comparison?

Thank you!

SouthernElle

Shiny_Rock

CDCdfw

Rough_Rock

This is amazing, thank you! I actually watched one of Rhino's videos with my fiance on this site and was thinking, "why can't I just get this guy to tell me what diamond to buy!?". Too funny...

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I keep hearing great things about Adam from Old world Diamonds, who's unfortunately in NYC as well. But might be interesting for price comps and whi knowsb, maybe one could arrange for a viewing at an appraiser /partnernin your area, if you're not comfortable with buying siggt unseen, even if returns swsm to be easy and hassle free

CDCdfw

Rough_Rock
I keep hearing great things about Adam from Old world Diamonds, who's unfortunately in NYC as well. But might be interesting for price comps and whi knowsb, maybe one could arrange for a viewing at an appraiser /partnernin your area, if you're not comfortable with buying siggt unseen, even if returns swsm to be easy and hassle free

I was toying around with taking the trip to NYC for Ring Concierge, so if I could line something up with Adam as well, that would definitely make it worthwhile. Thank you for the suggestion!

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also recommend Adam at OWD. Unfortunately, I don’t think you will find anything close to that size in Dallas. You could check with Village Goldsmith (Dallas) and Barrons (Plano and McKinney) to see if they have anything close to that size.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was toying around with taking the trip to NYC for Ring Concierge, so if I could line something up with Adam as well, that would definitely make it worthwhile. Thank you for the suggestion!

August Vintage is also in NYC. Personally as a fellow DFW-area jewelry-lover, I make a lot of my big purchases in NYC. It’s honestly easier than wading through what is here.

Sergio’s Jewelry in Casa Linda usually has a very small but nice selection of antique jewelry. I haven’t seen anything 2 ct+ but they may know where you can go for it in town - unfortunately the owner recently passed away so though they’re still open I’m not sure how open atm. There are a couple of jewelry stores in the Snider Plaza area that may have something as well. William Noble in HP Village may but I have no clue what the upcharge is there. I’d also hit up all the Neimans and check their estate jewelry sections in-store - they’ve got some stellar things and I’ve seen huge OMCs before but, again, no clue what the upcharge is.

If you wait until an Intergem show is coming through town, and email several of the antique jewelry dealers, that would be your best bet in town other than scouring antique jewelry shops.

Kube’s in Fort Worth almost definitely would have something but we do NOT recommend them - too many of us have had terrible experiences with them.

CDCdfw

Rough_Rock
I also recommend Adam at OWD. Unfortunately, I don’t think you will find anything close to that size in Dallas. You could check with Village Goldsmith (Dallas) and Barrons (Plano and McKinney) to see if they have anything close to that size.

Village Goldsmith didn't seem confident I could get anything, but I spoke with the gentleman at Barrons McKinney and he was extremely helpful and is going to look into what he can find for me. Thank you for the suggestions!

CDCdfw

Rough_Rock
August Vintage is also in NYC. Personally as a fellow DFW-area jewelry-lover, I make a lot of my big purchases in NYC. It’s honestly easier than wading through what is here.

Sergio’s Jewelry in Casa Linda usually has a very small but nice selection of antique jewelry. I haven’t seen anything 2 ct+ but they may know where you can go for it in town - unfortunately the owner recently passed away so though they’re still open I’m not sure how open atm. There are a couple of jewelry stores in the Snider Plaza area that may have something as well. William Noble in HP Village may but I have no clue what the upcharge is there. I’d also hit up all the Neimans and check their estate jewelry sections in-store - they’ve got some stellar things and I’ve seen huge OMCs before but, again, no clue what the upcharge is.

If you wait until an Intergem show is coming through town, and email several of the antique jewelry dealers, that would be your best bet in town other than scouring antique jewelry shops.

Kube’s in Fort Worth almost definitely would have something but we do NOT recommend them - too many of us have had terrible experiences with them.

Excellent feedback, thank you so much! When I hear back from August Vintage, I'll see if I can line something up with them and will most certainly make the trip to NYC if I could meet with 3 folks. Very excited, so glad I reached out.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rc is pretty pricey compared to other vendors. OwD in nyc, ivy rose in chicago, love affair diamonds, jewels by Grace would be my go tos.

princessandthepear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I purchased my OMC through Ivy & Rose in Chicago. They have more OMCs than listed on their website. If you ask them what they have in your desired specs they will make a comparison video for you. Their shipping is free and they have 30 day returns. I have had a very pleasant experience with them.

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
I'm also in DFW, and had the same quest. Ultimately, I bought from Parks Fine Group , also in NYC...but great prices and a good eye. He also will meet with you by appt in NYC. He's also a jeweler and can make the custom setting, at good prices.

CDCdfw

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone!

Your feedback was so helpful, I wanted to share a little bit of my experience and show you the ring! My fiance and I ended up taking the trip to NYC and it was the best decision! There is no comparison to what we saw in Dallas or online.

1st stop: Ring Concierge. Saw 2 loose stones and 1 that was already set. Initial feeling was we would end up getting the one that was already set: ~3ct K SI2. They were pushing it pretty hard, it was the only one that RC owned themselves. I was told it would go fast and had already almost sold 2 times.

2nd stop: Old World Diamond. Adam was incredibly helpful and had some gorgeous stones. If any were the elongated shape we were after, we certainly would have purchased from him. He actually helped us vet the diamond we ended up purchasing and was so amazing.

3rd stop: A family connection who had 1 stone. It was a D with strong blue florescence and some nasty inclusions - not eye visible but worried us (and other professionals we spoke to) about the strength of the stone.

With all 3 appointments done, we thought for sure we would head back to RC the next day and purchase the set ring from them. My fiance went to bed, and I scrolled a bit on Instagram. Then I saw it - THE DIAMOND. It was a post by Parks Fine Group just that day. When I called him before the trip, he said what I was looking for was so rare and he didn't have anything, so I didn't bother setting any appointment up at the time. But there it was! The day before we were leaving! So we went to see it and fell in love. He set it in what is basically RC's "whisper thin" setting - the whole thing cost us 1/2 of what RC was going to charge, and the diamond is almost exactly the same, but with better clarity. I mean this thing sparkles and RC's was pretty milky... and I still see it on their Instagram so they haven't sold it yet even after making us feel like it would be gone in a second if we didn't buy.

Also wanted to note, we always asked how do you *know* if it is an antique or OMC - each person said they just could tell by the way it's cut, etc. Some we believed more that others. But each GIA report said modified cushion or cushion brilliant. The diamond we got from PFG has a GIA that actually says it is an old mine. It makes me feel a little bit better about the purchase and that I have the real deal.

image1.jpeg IMG_4476.jpg

xxxxxx

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for sharing your story. Your ring is a beauty!
That is super shady from RingConcierge. But shows they really don't have the customer at heart.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous!
More pictures from all angles of the setting and all lighting sources, please! lol!

Great review of your experience with the vendors - thank you for posting it!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous! Congratulations! Glad you stuck with it and found what you wanted!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is an absolutely gorgeous diamond. Alex has beautiful things at good prices. It's great things worked out so well. The ring looks fabulous on you. Congratulations!

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So happy you found your perfect diamond, it’s lovely

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
Yeah!! I'm so glad Alex was able to help you! I saw your ring on his IG. I bought my stone from him too at a price I'd never get anywhere else.
We've got to get all the DFW gals together to compare bling!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations! Gorgeous diamond!

I hate it when vendors put the hard sell on me... it always makes me balk.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone!

Your feedback was so helpful, I wanted to share a little bit of my experience and show you the ring! My fiance and I ended up taking the trip to NYC and it was the best decision! There is no comparison to what we saw in Dallas or online.

1st stop: Ring Concierge. Saw 2 loose stones and 1 that was already set. Initial feeling was we would end up getting the one that was already set: ~3ct K SI2. They were pushing it pretty hard, it was the only one that RC owned themselves. I was told it would go fast and had already almost sold 2 times.

2nd stop: Old World Diamond. Adam was incredibly helpful and had some gorgeous stones. If any were the elongated shape we were after, we certainly would have purchased from him. He actually helped us vet the diamond we ended up purchasing and was so amazing.

3rd stop: A family connection who had 1 stone. It was a D with strong blue florescence and some nasty inclusions - not eye visible but worried us (and other professionals we spoke to) about the strength of the stone.

With all 3 appointments done, we thought for sure we would head back to RC the next day and purchase the set ring from them. My fiance went to bed, and I scrolled a bit on Instagram. Then I saw it - THE DIAMOND. It was a post by Parks Fine Group just that day. When I called him before the trip, he said what I was looking for was so rare and he didn't have anything, so I didn't bother setting any appointment up at the time. But there it was! The day before we were leaving! So we went to see it and fell in love. He set it in what is basically RC's "whisper thin" setting - the whole thing cost us 1/2 of what RC was going to charge, and the diamond is almost exactly the same, but with better clarity. I mean this thing sparkles and RC's was pretty milky... and I still see it on their Instagram so they haven't sold it yet even after making us feel like it would be gone in a second if we didn't buy.

Also wanted to note, we always asked how do you *know* if it is an antique or OMC - each person said they just could tell by the way it's cut, etc. Some we believed more that others. But each GIA report said modified cushion or cushion brilliant. The diamond we got from PFG has a GIA that actually says it is an old mine. It makes me feel a little bit better about the purchase and that I have the real deal.

image1.jpeg IMG_4476.jpg

Oh gorgeous!! Congratulations on your engagement and finding THE stone. Your setting is lovely too.
Interesting tactics RC use. Pretty off putting for something that should be fun

Dizzie

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Rc is pretty pricey compared to other vendors. OwD in nyc, ivy rose in chicago, love affair diamonds, jewels by Grace would be my go tos.

Love affair diamonds is unfortunately going out of the business, so one good vendor down

Dizzie

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone!

image1.jpeg IMG_4476.jpg

Thank you for sharing your experience. You got a beauty of a stone

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
WOW. I saw your ring on Alex’s IG. It is spectacular! Congratulations and thanks for sharing your story.

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
GORGEOUS!! I stalked Alex's IG for months and always missed out on what I wanted, his stones are so amazing and his prices are so fair, so I bought from Love Affair Diamonds (glad i got in before she closed!). Congratulations, it's PERFECT!!

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Sooooo happy you find a gorgeous stone that didnt break the bank (RC is so overpriced).

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
What an exciting adventure, and thank you for sharing your experience!

Its tough to not buy the first thing you see that you liked, & aren't you glad you took another day to make your decision, congrats on your beautiful find!! :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results