shape
carat
color
clarity

Engagement Party Invitation

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Courtneylub

Brilliant_Rock
For our White Trash themed crawfish boil!! LOL

Yes, those are our faces!

whitetrashevite.JPG

LegacyGirl

Brilliant_Rock
I think I''m going to cry!!! That is so funny!!

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
I love it!!! Especially the tux jacket cutoff over the flannel. It has to be over the flannel. The only thing missing is the beer in your hand! LOL!!!

Oh wait, now I see the cigarette. Good, good.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I find them slightly offensive. But, to each his own.

Courtneylub

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/10/2008 12:43:09 PM
Author: Gypsy
Bummer. A big part my dad's side of the family live in a small Texas town on some land. Some built houses, some live in nice trailers. They get a kick out of this. We are just laid back Texans who enjoy this stuff. It's a good excuse to dress comfortably and take funny pictures. My unmarried pregnant friend is coming "barefoot and pregnant" as she put it. It'll be a good time.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
I have to ditto Gypsy. It seems like you're making fun of people who have less than you have, which doesn't seem very cool. I get why you're doing it, but I dont think having a crawfish boil = trailer trash, does it? Can you just go with something more lighthearted that wont offend?

ETA: I guess if your own family wont be offended that it's a non issue...

Courtneylub

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/10/2008 1:59:58 PM
Author: surfgirl

I have to ditto Gypsy. It seems like you're making fun of people who have less than you have, which doesn't seem very cool. I get why you're doing it, but I dont think having a crawfish boil = trailer trash, does it? Can you just go with something more lighthearted that wont offend?

ETA: I guess if your own family wont be offended that it's a non issue...
Not a single person I know will be offended.

ETA: White trash doesn't equal having less than others.

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
hehe- i have to admit that i got a chuckle out of the invite, but overall it made me feel uneasy.

This is a great example of a "regional thing"- once again, one size does not fit all. It certainly would never fit here in California.

Here''s to a great engagement party- CHEERS!

blondie23

Shiny_Rock
Courtney...where in texas are you???? I''m also from Texas which is why I''m asking.

tenfour

Shiny_Rock
i think you should hire real trailer-dwellers to the party, but only as ''props''. THAT would be offensive.

i kid, i kid. the theme isn''t offensive. it''s fun. now pass the pabst blue ribbon.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is definitely a unique engagement party invitation! Courtney--I think if your friends and family will take the invite as harmless, self-deprecating humor, then it seems fun to me.

This is definitely an issue of different strokes for different folks. If FI and I sent out something like this we'd probably be written out of several family members' lives. HOWEVER, we live in a big city, I've never seen a trailer home IRL, and it would just look like we're making fun of people who live a lifestyle that we know nothing about.

This reminds me of the anti-dentite Seinfeld episode where Jerry thinks his dentist converts to Judaism just so it would be acceptable for to make jokes about Jewish people.

ETA: GREAT job on the Photoshopping, by the way!

misysu2

Brilliant_Rock
i agree with Haven.

I think I''d find it a little offensive, because I used to live in a trailer because my family didn''t have enough money to buy a house. I know rednecks aren''t qualified by how much money they have, but people generally only live in trailers for that reason. Also, what if any of your guests became pregnant before they were married? You''ll have to be very careful that no one will be offended.

Cleopatra

Brilliant_Rock
I''m from Louisiana and "crawfish season" is just as important as Christmas to people in our region. I understand the jist of the theme, but I wonder why crawfish boil equates "white trash". I''ve never lived in a trailer, but know several people who do after the tragedies of Katrina and Rita - lives are still not "normal" over here...

I know it''s all fun and games, but I feel like being a Texas girl makes the joke a little more serious. "Crawfish Boils" are known in Louisiana - I feel as though this is a joke to the people in louisiana.

I, myself, am not offended, but I wouldn''t be surprised if some of your guests were offended.

scm1012

Shiny_Rock
I didn''t want to post before because i knew my response wouldn''t be in favor of the invite.

While I get the gist of the invitation...I simply do not like it whatsoever.

Sorry courtneylub!!!!! But if it''s funny to you and the people who receive it will appreciate it, that''s fantastic.

If I got that invite in NorCal....first I would think WTF and then I''d be rather offended. I''m not even white! haha

It sort of reminds me of a news story I saw about a saloon on the East Coast advertising "Wet Back Wednesday" with $1 Coronas and $1 tacos. Is it the most offensive thing out there? Not at all. Is it crossing the line? Totally.

But by the looks of it, you seem really pleased with your invites and that is all that matters.

tenfour

Shiny_Rock
courtneylub, i think you should make goodie bags with condoms for the single folks at your party. less chance of them getting preggers, ya know??

Courtneylub

Brilliant_Rock
Cleopatra - Trust me, we are throwing crawfish into the mix because we LOVE it! Not because it reminds us of "white trash". We eat it at least once a week during the season!! It's a southern thing and we love it.

Blondie - I'm from Houston. What about you?

misysu2 - As I stated above, I have family who live in trailers, friends who got pregnant before marriage, etc...no one will be offended. They are not white trash and they know that. It's a themed party, just like a pimp and prostitute party or some other theme.

Basically, we just wanted something fun and relaxed like this because we are having a nice lavish country club wedding. We are not extreme one way or the other and we wanted to celebrate both ways.

We sent the evite out with the picture and already have had 40 rsvp's. Everyone loves it and have left funny comments pertaining to the theme.

ETA: Oh and Cleopatra, crawfish boils are huge here as well. I've gone to at least 3 already and have about 5 more to attend in the next 3 months. We have one every year. You misunderstood.

becoming_sadie

Rough_Rock
As long as you are 100% sure that everybody is going to get the joke. I am just concerned that not everybody would.

Courtneylub

Brilliant_Rock
I love all the funny rsvp''s we''re getting.

Beau (+ 1 guest)
I drink Pearl in a can & Jack Daniels black - got an old dog thats trained to attack ... sometimes.

tsmith (+ 1 guest)
We will be there. Pregnant and barefoot!

Mandie Price (+ 1 guest)
Oh I can do whitetrash! I''ll talk to the hubby, but I think we should be there!

Mindy (+ 1 guest)
Campbell''s will be there in flip flops & jorts.

Bub Etter (+ 1 guest)
this danged ol'' gatherin sounds like a hoot. We''s in.

ballerinahippo (+ 1 guest)
Hot d*mn! Me ''n the hubby was already growin out R mullets and leg hairs! YEEEEE HAW boy howdy!

js012278
wOULD NOT MISS IT....

FrJasonColeman???
When I take a load to the dump I bring back more than I took.

lisa smith (+ 1 guest)
LOVE IT.......You know I am from hillbilly hell i will fit in fine!

Jenny Harrison
Fun!

jay_mullinax (+ 1 guest)
Getter done!

steve_wideman (+ 1 guest)
count me and my sister/girlfriend/second cousin in for this hoot-nanny!

Vance Baker
i caint wate yawl

aprilcait

Brilliant_Rock
Geez, reading these responses - no offense to those who expressed a concern over or dislike for the invitations - I have to say I was reminded of how easily offended people get now. It seems people can''t laugh at themselves much anymore... we''ve all become too serious, paranoid, and self-conscious, I guess. That''s kind of sad. Can''t we stop automatically assuming things are insults and just have a laugh?

Courtneylub, I think your invitations are cute. I''m glad your family and friends would enjoy them. I hope all of you have a blast at the party.

misysu2

Brilliant_Rock
Those are great RSVP responses, Courtney! I hope you''ll have a blast!

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
as long as you know the people your sending them to will think they''re funny, there''s nothing wrong with it. have a great party!

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/10/2008 3:45:15 PM
Author: Courtneylub

I dont get this one...??? What are "jorts" and why are they called "jorts"? I think I know and I hope I''m wrong.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Courtney - I thought the invites were funny and the responses are hilarious.

I''m usually someone who gets accused of taking things too seriously but in this case I really think this was so clearly meant in a non-offensive way (and clearly none of your guests are offended) that I can''t really see the harm...

I hope you have a wonderful time at your engagement party
1.gif

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/10/2008 4:22:22 PM

I dont get this one...??? What are ''jorts'' and why are they called ''jorts''? I think I know and I hope I''m wrong.
Surf, jorts are jean shorts. LOL, I just learned that one this weekend.

I think the key to this is to think Jerry Springer, not stereotype people who live in trailers and people who got pregnant outside of marriage, etc. It''s just fun!

Courtneylub

Brilliant_Rock

I dont get this one...??? What are ''jorts'' and why are they called ''jorts''? I think I know and I hope I''m wrong.
Jean shorts. How is that offensive?

Amen, Aprilcait!!!!

Courtneylub

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/10/2008 4:43:48 PM
Author: sunnyd

Surf, jorts are jean shorts. LOL, I just learned that one this weekend.

I think the key to this is to think Jerry Springer, not stereotype people who live in trailers and people who got pregnant outside of marriage, etc. It''s just fun!

EXACTLY!

Goodness gracious.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey--If CMT can air a show titled "My Big Redneck Wedding" and get people to VOLUNTEER for the show, then I really don''t see all the fuss over Courtney''s invites. As I said, as long as your guests won''t take it the wrong way, I think they''re really fun.

And I LOVE the responses you''re getting. You should save them.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Hahaha, these are fantastic, I love them! I can''t imagine anybody taking this seriously--if somebody is offended by the invitation, that party pooper can stay home
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results