shape
carat
color
clarity

Engagement/Anniversary ring (Pics) & Pendant

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
Hello Pricescope Community!!!

I am thrilled to FINALLY be sharing and participating!

After all, I have been a long time reader…going way back to 2011, possibly 2010.

I have learned an incredible, incredible amount from all of you!!!

Im in the midst of hunting/researching for two sparkle projects…

a) diamond solitaire pendant

about 7mm AVR OR CAC OR AVC OR genuine (very well cut) antique Old Mine OR genuine antique OEC

G-H-I

eye clean (seen some dark speckled vs2’s and clean si1’s) just no dark carbon specks...

as a default, might do super ideal modern round brilliant: CBI, ACA, Brian Gavin, Canera

Budget: in or around 10 thousand

**I will do a post a separate thread for the solitaire pendant with images**

b) diamond engagement/(milestone) anniversary ring

minimum of H-I (maybe)

eye clean (please reference above regarding clarity)

b2) if solitaire would like 2.5 to 3 carats (don’t have a millimeter measurement just yet)

AVR OR CAC OR AVC OR genuine antique Old Mine or OEC OR Emerald Cut

b3) am open to a toi et moi (bypass) ring with 1.5 to 2 carats (hopefully easier to find)

b4) am also open to a three stone ring (seems even easier to find stones for this style of ring)

b5) default to super ideal MRB (solitaire style)

Budget: at or below 35 thousand

Overall, super ideal "top of the line" cut quality. Most comfy with G-H possibly I. As for J color and warmer, I will know more once i got to singlestone and might call jewels by grace, as well.
Value is of great importance as well.

Custom cutting has been presented as an option. Although, seems like so many, almost too many variables to contend with. I’d like to minimize the anxiety of a big ticket purchase as much as possible. Please do weigh in if you have insight…

I’m looking for an everyday ring. I don't want to reserve it for special occasions only. I’d like it to be a nice size but not so big that I’m uncomfortable wearing it day to day. I understand that different cuts face up differently, spread wise, so i’m going with a 2.5 to 3 carat range.

I have made the rounds at some of the local jewelry stores to assess and narrow down size.

First stop, Harry Winston. i tried on a 2.25 or 2.5 pear with side baguettes. i forget the carat size. i just wanted to see if a pear cut makes the hand and fingers appear longer. Not too keen on the itty bitty sparkles of the pear. I’m still undecided about the slendering of the hand and fingers … E or F color

emerald solitaire was very pretty in the 2.25 range E or F color

I asked to see a vintage antique cushion old mine or european cut and was met with a hesitation and then was informed that those type of cuts are "only available in larger 5 carat sizes and not available in something small like 3 carats" which by the way they didn’t even have 3 carat in the case at the store to see and would need to be called in. So, if 3 carats was so “small", surely they’d have a few in the case, one would think...

Second stop, Tiffany & Co. The classic iconic Tiffany setting made a 3 carat MRB I color look HUGE. i don’t think i’d be comfortable with it day in day out. Although, I quite liked the heft of the setting. Perhaps if it was set much much lower, as in culet almost touching finger but without causing injury, a 3 carat won’t appear so big. Fist thing my husband noticed was that it was so high…

I am a glove wearer in the autumn and winter (yes, even here in southern california)

the sales person went on the say that "medical professionals don’t wear their diamond rings to work…they just wear bands…"

I just sat there and paid no attention to the nonsense she was blurting. Especially, knowing full well that numerous pricescope nurses have mentioned that they’ve had to up their glove sizes to accommodate their diamond rings…

I actually don’t mind the gap between a wedding band and a low set engagement ring.

The rest of the rings (emerald cut) 1.67 (i forget the color on this stone) no halo, 2.0 F color with halo, 2.39 H color with halo. These rings felt rather light in weight and "rinky dinky”…itty bitty diamonds around a main diamond is not so much an aesthetic i appreciate on myself.

Got the whole, “tiffany diamonds are the best of the best...”

“of all the luxury brands, we cut and grade our own diamonds...”

“we reject most of the words gem quality diamonds...”

“flourescence is bad...you don't want that...”

“antiques are too ornate and people get sick of them...”

After my periscope education, I was underwhelmed to say the least.

She ate into the time for my next stop which would have been singlestone. Where i’d like to see warmer than I color diamonds. As i’ve heard much about them…

I’d really like to be a part of a situation where a company really stands behind their product. It’s unlikely that i will utilize an upgrade/trade in policy. But its truly nice to know that its available to me if i decide otherwise. I understand CBI has the best in the business.

If you have any thoughts, feelings and opinions i’d greatly appreciate it.

Gunmetal nail polish is Harry Winston the rest are at Tiffany & Co (two separate weekends)

IMG_1053.JPG IMG_1052.JPG
IMG_1046.JPG IMG_1043.JPG
IMG_1055.JPG IMG_1054.JPG

Last edited:

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I asked [@ HW] to see a vintage antique cushion old mine or european cut and was met with a hesitation and then was informed that those type of cuts are "only available in larger 5 carat sizes and not available in something small like 3 carats"

Funny that! ,)

New ones are not common yet ...

Last edited:

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
I think the emerald cuts looks really elegant on your hand. I too am not a fan of halos and extras in a ring (just give me the main rock!). But even the emerald with the halo looks gorgeous on you!

ps: you have such lovely smooth skin! I bet you can make anything look good!

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
Funny that! ,)

New ones are not common yet ...

yes, the newly cut old style old mine and old europeans are definitely not mainstream, yet. But i forget where i've seen harry winston have the larger faceted cuts... Although, I don't know if they are genuine old cuts or new old cuts. But apparently, not available in a small size like 3 carats and below...

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
I think the emerald cuts looks really elegant on your hand. I too am not a fan of halos and extras in a ring (just give me the main rock!). But even the emerald with the halo looks gorgeous on you!

Thank you! thank you for your reply! I've always loved the way emeralds look...so clean...
I do like thin baguette sides but thats about it other than "just give me the main rock" (i love it!!)

ps: you have such lovely smooth skin! I bet you can make anything look good!

Thank you! you are so sweet!

I love your avatar image!! Stunning!

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
You have beautiful hands and probably could wear any shape, but I really love the emerald cut on you. Have fun shopping!

Thank you very much! you are too kind!! I really appreciate you taking the time! Thanks so much!

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Very sad to hear. :(2 I absolutely LOVE his diamonds....

JbG is a great option. She has beautiful inventory.
If you’re considering using CvB, Caysie is really great at sourcing old stones. Worth a shot!!!

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
:twirl:I know!! your asschers from him are gorgeous!! can't wait to see them in a ring, your ring!!
Hhmmm, hadn't thought about calling CvB. I ought to reach out to her, as well. thank you for that!!!

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
This exists - WWW
Yup, I asked to see the asset and gia certificate and even had the diamond on hold.
But after seeing the asset decided that it had too much leakage.
Here is the asset:
IMG_0913.JPG

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
I LOVE the ring in pic 2 and 3. Not too crazy about pic 4. Good luck on your hunt!

Thank You!! i really appreciate your taking the time!

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know very much about asset images, except for what I've learned on here, but it looks like the center of that stone would be very dark/leak. I think you made a good call.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
- after seeing the asset decided that it had too much leakage

It seems that they put in too much back light to hide the blue/black ASET colour of the largest pavilion facets, for more or less blessed reasons... Those facets of the Maltese Cross light up at a very slight tilt (as I am rotating the stone on the screen) - so I am guessing that both ASET & pictures are taken in rather biased conditions.

This cushion was not cut for the ASET.

I am obviously over-interpreting; 2D is not real by default.

cokitty

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@Big Fat Facets I like emerald cuts on your hand, very elegant.
As for the rings and gloves thing, I wear surgical gloves every day. I change in and out of them about 10 times a day and use regular boxed gloves even more. I wear 6ct most days and have never once had an issue with it catching on my gloves. That is just nonsense. The reason we sometimes use safety pins to clip our rings to our bras or add them to our scrub ties is related to varying types of procedures, not the height of the ring. I don't like wide shanks with gloves.
Now with driving gloves, or fur/cashmere lined gloves I have had some issues. Prongs catch on glove lining. I attribute this to the lack of give in leather gloves.

Pick a ring that makes your heart sing, everything else will work around that.

L

lydial

I like the Pear on you as well as the Emerald. If you are thinking about Pears get some more in-focus pics and post them for the experts to chime in! I think you could really rock a Pear with your nail shape! I bet you could find a huge Pear with chunkier facets!

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
@Big Fat Facets I like emerald cuts on your hand, very elegant.
As for the rings and gloves thing, I wear surgical gloves every day. I change in and out of them about 10 times a day and use regular boxed gloves even more. I wear 6ct most days and have never once had an issue with it catching on my gloves. That is just nonsense. The reason we sometimes use safety pins to clip our rings to our bras or add them to our scrub ties is related to varying types of procedures, not the height of the ring. I don't like wide shanks with gloves.
Now with driving gloves, or fur/cashmere lined gloves I have had some issues. Prongs catch on glove lining. I attribute this to the lack of give in leather gloves.

Pick a ring that makes your heart sing, everything else will work around that.

Hi cokitty!
thanks so much for your insight! So appreciate you confirming that sales person's nonsensical drivel...
as far as medical professional not wearing their diamond engagement rings to work.
I tend to wear silk lined thin leather gloves in the colder days of autumn and winter. If it get really chilly i l like the shearling gloves. And i am certainly somewhat concerned with prongs catching and snagging. which is why i have the notion of a very low open bezel setting in the back of my mind for ease of wear...
thanks again!

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
I don't know very much about asset images, except for what I've learned on here, but it looks like the center of that stone would be very dark/leak. I think you made a good call.

thanks diamond girl!
im most definitely learning as i go...
And certainly realize that my "eyes" are far from trained and experienced to make larger diamond purchases (for me) without the use of tools like aset...

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
It seems that they put in too much back light to hide the blue/black ASET colour of the largest pavilion facets, for more or less blessed reasons... Those facets of the Maltese Cross light up at a very slight tilt (as I am rotating the stone on the screen) - so I am guessing that both ASET & pictures are taken in rather biased conditions.

This cushion was not cut for the ASET.

I am obviously over-interpreting; 2D is not real by default.

Hi AV,
im thinking about purchasing an aset scope? what do you think about that?
Im certainly understand that my eyes are far from experienced enough to make a larger diamond purchase without the help of an aset image. thanks for your help and feedback!!

Reactions: AV_

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
I like the Pear on you as well as the Emerald. If you are thinking about Pears get some more in-focus pics and post them for the experts to chime in! I think you could really rock a Pear with your nail shape! I bet you could find a huge Pear with chunkier facets!

Hi Lydial!
So appreciate your feedback!! Yes, I haven't ruled out pear cut, just want to see an antique pear just as you said.

AV_

Ideal_Rock

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
Alright, Ive got some updates.

We are slowly but surely narrowing down. Im so glad to be starting earlier than the time of anniversary which is December. This journey is turning into quite a little adventure...

Instead of carat size which i realize is important. I think knowing millimeter measurments might be even be more so as different makes have quite different spreads. I now know im wanting 9mm, at the very least. quite possibly 10mm as i might alot for diamond shrinkage syndrome as i've a tendency to get sentimental(ish)... and am unlikely to trade in/trade up. BUT it is ALWAYS very very nice to know that that option is available...

Hubby is happy to up the budget to get to 9mm+ (for old cut need to be approx. 3.5 to 4 carats)
in fact i might even put my pendant budget towards this milestone ring.
although, its really not my preference to do so.

As for color, im discovering that i don't think i mind warmth in a diamond. I was conditioned to go for colorless as its more rare. But from what i've found pleasing is with some warmth. For example, I really liked the I and H even in modern cut stones, which are not known to hold warmth well. So if it is an old cut i might very well be able to embrace more warmth in the stone, provided that it is very well cut...

Until i see a CBI/hpd or whiteflash aca or brian gavin signature or canera signature hearts...in the back of my mind i'll always wonder. Fortunately, I have a cbi authorized store nearby to see it in real life. i had better initiate contact asap to make that happen . of course i will report back.

finger size is 5

IMG_1063.JPG

IMG_1056.JPG

IMG_1060.JPG

IMG_1061.JPG

IMG_1062.JPG

IMG_1073.JPG

IMG_1066.JPG

IMG_1068.JPG

Would absolutely love your feedback, thoughts, feelings, opinions and insight

more updates and images to come...

and as always thank you!!

Last edited:

AV_

Ideal_Rock
It is a very easy choice for me.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I am in the minority here, but I much prefer the classic round solitaire on you vs anything else. Congrats on your upcoming anniversary!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love them all on you. Beautiful hands too.

This one is my favorite so far though. Amazing on your finger.

IMG_1068.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results