shape
carat
color
clarity

Ending a 7 Year Search-My Van Craeynest Band Meets Its Forever Ring, a 2.42M OMC

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
Hello Pser's! I wanted to wait and make this thread until I knew I had some time to spend on it as it is very special. (It is also very longwinded and has lots of pictures....)

Back when my husband and I got engaged and were ring shopping, I got to pick the ring I wanted (at the time) while he mostly had the input for the wedding band. His taste has always been wonderful, and being visually impaired, it came as no surprise to me that he wanted my band to be an intricately carved and tactile Van Craeynest ring. I don't even remember the actual band number for it now, it looks like what is called B810 now, and is the 5 blossom band with pillars in between. This band is special as it seems to basically be one of the last made before the company changed hands and production methods, which happened right after we were married.

The ultimate saga with this band is that while beautiful, I found it to be one of the absolute hardest rings to coordinate with an e-ring. Add on to this the fact that while both of us loved OEC and antique cuts, at the time there weren't as many easily or readily approachable options for finding antique stones that had a lot of user friendliness to them. This basically created mess after mess for me in terms of stones rings, ring decisions and wearability and so in the past 7 years, I have been through numerous rings.

Here's a really brief pictorial trip of my rings through time.

The 200 year old ring he proposed with- I still have this!

rosecuts.jpg

The actual wedding set! (Looks pretty in a pic but didn't match on the hand...)
rings1sml.jpg

Upgrade fever- 1.13 OEC (didn't match the band...oh well..)
image.png

1.57 OEC (Looked pretty good with the band, but still not the direction I wanted to go)

rubyhalo.jpg

well..what if I upgrade the modern stone and put it in an antique setting?

1.65 K BG Blue (This is also OK, but still not feeling' it)

ngbling3.jpg

Well, I officially give up on that band....let's change settings and see what happens:

winterstack1.jpg

So what is not right? Well I can't get out of my head that what i really truly want is a bigger stone, despite have 2 that are superbly cut....But the debate rages on....OEC or Modern? OEC or Modern? I don't want both. I just want ONE that is nice and the size I know I will be happy with. And there is no getting around the fact I prefer a halo or other "frame" around a stone but that immediately makes for trouble for matching my VC band.

By now MrBcat is just resigned to letting me do what I think necessary because as much as we love each other, he and I are both tired. So I just happen to be browsing for possibilities on both fronts, when this ring came to my attention. I didn't look at it much at first, because I wasn't sure how the setting would work out. But, as I generally do when I like something but need more info, I researched PS (lol) an of course, it turns out it had belonged to a PSer (imdoubler, I believe) and was now for sale. Honestly, it was her pictures of the ring here that decided me that THIS was what I was looking for.

So, to cut to the chase (with more info and lots of pics to follow) I am pleased to present my FINAL upgrade (and heaven help me as I wouldn't be able to manage the feat again! I had to sacrifice SCARVES for this!)

Meet my New To Me 2.42 OMB (GIA M SI1) in a platinum Lilybell setting by JYB Jewels. I am beyond thrilled my lovely Van Craeynest will get worn regularly and has a "mate" worthy of it now. Thank you all for bearing with me and letting me share. This ring represents many things to me, a successful new job opportunity, closure on a long time "problem" and pleasure at being able to see something through to the end, successfully (if a little painfully). More pics and stats incoming.

oecfacet.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Loved Reading your story! And what a gorgeous result. Looking forward to see the hand shots of your set

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
Now for some pics and stats!

This is a 2.42 GIA M SI1 measuring 8.19x8.49 Old Mine Brilliant. It took some research to find the creator of the ring- JYB Jewels. It is platinum and currently a size 5.5+ and I am a 6+ (but I still manage to cram it on my hands! :D ) I will need to get it sized at some point (but not just yet!!!)

I don't even know where to start with the pics....I have taken so many the last couple of days.

Some flower shots, and also with one of my favorite chiffon scarves called Ors Bleu D'Afrique. Wishing for some of that Blue Gold right now in the heat of summer.

oecscarf1b.jpg oecflower1.jpg oecscarf1c.jpg

Side shots:
oecside1.jpg

OECside1b.jpg oecsideplants.jpg

Last edited:

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That’s three gorgeous rings you have - and they make a stunning set together!

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
Yes- more pics!

Hand shots first.

with Ors Bleu again and some fire!
oecscarf.jpg

Deep moodiness at sunset
oecmood.jpg

Perspective, along with ever present cats in background (Bunnycat is on the right, Finnegan the orangey boy on the left)
OeCRLP.jpg

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
And a few more pics I was digging because I was getting interesting rainbows when I was taking pictures. Result of the light through the huge culet from the backside??? Who knows? It was fun though.

oecrainbow1.jpg
oecrainbow1c.jpeg oecrainbows1.jpg

A little kozibe off the side:

oecfacet2.jpg

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
That’s three gorgeous rings you have - and they make a stunning set together!

Thank you kindly! It sure was a long wait! (Just wish it had been a little less of a financial "lesson" over the years!)

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
it's beautiful, big and luxurious! the bands are perfect.. love all three!

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
it's beautiful, big and luxurious! the bands are perfect.. love all three!

Thank you Tekate! While it does meet my secret size desires :lol: the low setting and all the detailing

as opposed to overt "bling" actually keep it feeling surprisingly low key.

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Your set is now perfect. And your diamond’s rainbows and koizibe and large culet are So. Much. Fun. !! A visual delight. Endless possibilities! This was meant to be. Congratulations and thanks for sharing the sheer and utter perfection of your set!

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
What an absolutely wonderful story! Really enjoyed reading it. I know it must have been a difficult (and expensive) journey for you, but from what you have posted, and the way you sound like you feel about it, it certainly sounds like it was worth the sacrifice of precious scarves - although that sounds painful. :(( It really looks glorious and feels like it has the same theme as your beautiful wedding band. It also looks wonderfully tactile and textured for your husband. Sounds like he has been a partner to you in this journey and I hope he loves it too!

We would always love more pictures! That OMB looks just stunning! The faceting, wow.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
WoW!! Your ring indeed looks amazing with the Van Craeynest band and your other band. Great combination!

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
Your set is now perfect. And your diamond’s rainbows and koizibe and large culet are So. Much. Fun. !! A visual delight. Endless possibilities! This was meant to be. Congratulations and thanks for sharing the sheer and utter perfection of your set!

Thank you so much for your kind words LightBright! It really is a visual delight and it finally feels like "a set" (without being old fashioned in a matchy matchy way).

What an absolutely wonderful story! Really enjoyed reading it. I know it must have been a difficult (and expensive) journey for you, but from what you have posted, and the way you sound like you feel about it, it certainly sounds like it was worth the sacrifice of precious scarves - although that sounds painful. :(( It really looks glorious and feels like it has the same theme as your beautiful wedding band. It also looks wonderfully tactile and textured for your husband. Sounds like he has been a partner to you in this journey and I hope he loves it too!

We would always love more pictures! That OMB looks just stunning! The faceting, wow.

We both love Old cuts, and it is true that he would have preferred one at the start, but the options were really not easy to locate at the time so I ended up with "split loyalties" as it were (and split funds). I still like MRBs and think I prefer them in my ears, so I can still have both, but for this band the antique style mount and stone are the perfect fit. As for the scarves, don't worry....I STILL have too many.... :loopy:

WoW!! Your ring indeed looks amazing with the Van Craeynest band and your other band. Great combination!

Many thanks Acinom! It's lurve!!! :love::love::love:

staci76

Brilliant_Rock
:love::love::love: This is absolutely gorgeous and a perfect compliment to your beloved wedding band! :kiss2: How wonderful to have finally found the right combination. :appl: I know how much of a struggle that can be.... Congrats! =)2

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
:love::love::love: This is absolutely gorgeous and a perfect compliment to your beloved wedding band! :kiss2: How wonderful to have finally found the right combination. :appl: I know how much of a struggle that can be.... Congrats! =)2

Thank you staci! MrBcat has been a proverbial saint! But I know he is relieved things finally got sorted out (and everyone got what they wanted!).

Perhaps she should be called Goldilocks...or the third Bear! :lol:

staci76

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you staci! MrBcat has been a proverbial saint! But I know he is relieved things finally got sorted out (and everyone got what they wanted!).

Perhaps she should be called Goldilocks...or the third Bear! :lol:

=)2 Goldilocks has a great ring to it... :D

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Believe me, I know the pain of getting to your forever ring, but it’s totally worth it in the end! Your set is absolutely stunning! They are perfect together!!

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
=)2 Goldilocks has a great ring to it... :D

Meebbe so! I like too!

Believe me, I know the pain of getting to your forever ring, but it’s totally worth it in the end! Your set is absolutely stunning! They are perfect together!!

Thank you so much yennyfire! It has been worth it, I think, in terms of personal education (and once I forget the financial pains little more!).

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
what a PERFECT outcome! Thrilled that the band has a "mate", and that you got such a gorgeous ring/setting! They are a perfect match.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG @bunnycat, talk about an upgrade!!! That rock is huge lol! I kept looking at this ring on the site and drooled every time I saw it. It looks fabulous with your band, they go beautifully together, right down to those sweet flowers. :love::love::love: I can't imagine you're getting too much done with this beauty on your finger!

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
what a PERFECT outcome! Thrilled that the band has a "mate", and that you got such a gorgeous ring/setting! They are a perfect match.

Man oh man- you don't know how thrilled we all are here. In a complete twist, what usually happens with a ring is I immediately try to find a band to go with it to "improve" my vision of the set. But with this one, I just take other rings away and shoot back to the VC band. So,yes....perfect together!

OMG @bunnycat, talk about an upgrade!!! That rock is huge lol! I kept looking at this ring on the site and drooled every time I saw it. It looks fabulous with your band, they go beautifully together, right down to those sweet flowers. :love::love::love: I can't imagine you're getting too much done with this beauty on your finger!

Thank you Junebug! It was! (I sold the other 2 to fund it....both have moved on now and my 1.57 OEC has found a happy home and a brand new custodian of it's flowery fabulousness in the same state! SO excited about that too!)

You know, I passed it over several times while looking. It really wasn't until I saw pics of it here with bands that I became obsessed that I finally found what I was searching for. I simply have had absolutely no vision when it comes to this VC band. Thankfully, I'm more than pleased with the outcome and there are an unseemly number of pics already on my phone. (I fear I appear very shallow to the random stranger who might see it...bling, cats, cats, bling, spring flowers, scarves, bling, cats, scarves, scarves....)

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
Here are a few more indoor pics I pulled from my phone.

In Whole Foods:

wffire.jpg

At the dentist:
dentist2a.jpg dentist2.jpg

Also- I forgot to put some more specific stats on the stone, for those who like to study the build and cut of them.

Official GIA cert stats are :

M SI1 2.42 carat
Shape: Old Mine Brilliant
Measurements: 8.49x8.19x5.39
Table: 46%
Depth: 65.8%
Culet: Very Large (lol)
Polish: Good
Symmetry: Fair (symmetry may have changed to to a partial girdle facet, ie a rehab)
Fluor: It says none, but I disagree. I think it is faint.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is so beautiful!:love: It's perfect with your VanC band!

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
I have long loved JYB"s Lilybel. I saw this on Grace's site and recognized it immediately! It looks so good with your band, a perfect pairing! How are you liking the M stone? I'm looking to make that leap to a warm old cut too. It looks so beautiful in pictures! Congrats!!

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your rings are beautiful and look absolutely lovely together.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
All gorgeous and look beautiful on you.:love: Nicely done.:appl:

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love your story! Persistence, patience, kismet...a match made in bling swooning heaven! Spectacular, enjoy in health and happiness!

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
That is so beautiful!:love: It's perfect with your VanC band!

Thank you DS! I agree finally!
I have long loved JYB"s Lilybel. I saw this on Grace's site and recognized it immediately! It looks so good with your band, a perfect pairing! How are you liking the M stone? I'm looking to make that leap to a warm old cut too. It looks so beautiful in pictures! Congrats!!
Thank you! Honestly, I don't have any experience at all with higher color old cuts and perhaps that has been a good thing, so it only looks like what every other old cut has been like for me, which is warm and full of environmental colors. I think every sizable stone I have seen has been K or below. I think you do have to get used to it, but he only time I really "see" warmth in these older stones in under spot lighting. The face up for this is very nice. I wouldn't think M without looking from the side.

Your rings are beautiful and look absolutely lovely together.

Thank you so kindly Diamond Girl!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results