shape
carat
color
clarity

#JOTW Enchanted gold egg with sapphires (for a 1-year-old)

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Feel free to skip the background story if you like and just look at the photos ;-)
I've already posted a few pics to the CS forum, but I've fallen in love with this shiny little bauble and decided that it needed its own SMTB thread :appl:

My sister and I live on different continents, and this Christmas she's bringing her 1-year-old daughter back to see the family. It'll be the first time that I've seen my niece, so instead of the usual dolls or Frozen memorabilia, I wanted to give a special heirloom piece that would be perfect for a little girl, yet elegant enough for her to wear even long after she's grown up...

I've always loved Faberge eggs, and decided to do something inspired by the eggs. My niece is a September baby, so her birthstone is sapphire.

I knew that Sally (designer) and Pomme (goldsmith) at Heart of Water could do traditional engraving and cutwork (the kind of handforged work that is a lost and dying art in Thailand), so I reached out and spoke with Sally. My niece's nickname is Ella, so this project became "Ella's Egg", which we thought sounded perfect! :love: Sally and I agreed we wanted a piece that had delicate flowing curves, evocative fairytale colors, yet a timeless elegance that would be worthy of the name.

I gave Sally my ideas on metal (14k yellow gold), stones (sapphires), and approx size (13 x 10 mm); then I left her and Pomme to decide the details. :)

The finished egg is simply gorgeous; it's such a treat. The photos do not do it justice. It's like a tiny, perfect sparkly Christmas or Easter ornament. You almost want to eat it! (I hope my niece won't try to, anyway.) :naughty:

My sincere wish for this pendant is for my niece to have years of enjoyment and pleasure looking at this 100% hand-forged, no-casting heirloom piece, made with traditional craftsmanship skills that are hard to find these days in Asia. Through it, I hope she is reminded of her Asian heritage even though she lives in the US. (Well, and also to have her first piece of bling that will last her a veeeerrrryyy long time!) :lol: :lol:

Thanks for letting me share this. Hope you guys enjoy looking at Ella's Egg.

Specs: approx 13 x 10mm
Gold: 14k Yellow Gold
Stones: 6 heat-only sapphires (1 pink, 1 purplish pink, 1 blue, 1 green, 2 orangish yellow)
Design: 100% hand-forged, no casting or CAD.

eggavr2.jpg 2014-10-31_17.jpg 2014-10-31_17_0.jpg 2014-10-31_17_1.jpg 2014-10-31_17_2.jpg 2014-10-31_17_3.jpg 2014-10-31_17_4.jpg 2014-10-31_17_5.jpg 2014-10-31_17_6.jpg egg6.jpg egg2.jpg egg3.jpg egg4.jpg egg1.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh mochiko, what a thoughtful and lovely aunt you are and OMG it is a beautiful piece.Truly a masterpiece work of art. Gorgeous. :love:
I know your niece will be over the moon with this amazing pendant. :love: :love: :love:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay :appl:
Thank you for posting these pics. The Ella Egg has such intricate detailing. I Iove the warm metal in combination with the beautiful sapphires. I assume your sister will first wear the beautiful egg until Ella is old enough :naughty: ?
Who would not want to wear such a gorgeous egg. Like!!! :appl:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cute egg, and I hope the OP's niece will appreciate such a generous gift when she is older!

Thanks for sharing.

DK :))

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Really beautiful heartfelt gift, I am sure when she is older she will love it. I assume your sister will put it away for her because 1 years olds tend to swallow pretty shiny objects. My niece that age puts everything in her mouth. My son used to do the same.

Don't take anything I am saying as being negative I really love it and the sentiment behind it, I just don't want anyone especially Ella or any of her friends to swallow it, that would be a disaster.

EvangelineG

Brilliant_Rock
This is such a wonderful gift! Just absolutely lovely and so unique.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks missy, Acinom, DK, arkieB and Evangeline! :love: :love:

DK, thanks for the concern! In fact I had worried about it when deciding on the piece, but I think it'll be fine. My sister likes bling too and I'm sure she will be more than happy to "borrow" the egg for several years until my niece is old enough to wear it - Acinom's guess was spot on! :naughty: :naughty: ... and that would be a nice touch, for two generations of women in the family to wear it :)

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's really lovely! I am sure when she is older she will treasure it!

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry, I just realized it was arkieB whose advice it was, not DK [emoji28] [emoji4]

Thanks luv2sparkle [emoji4]. It's such a lovely piece, I'm getting that feeling - you know when you buy a present for someone but it's so nice that you have a hard time letting it go? Sally also confessed that she really liked this piece in particular and was sorry to say goodbye to it, too. [emoji16]

Ally66

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
What a precious little treasure! Thank you for sharing your story and the beautiful result!

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
So intricate & beautiful! It is enchanted, looks as if it were made for a fairy tale princess! What a wonderful gift :appl:

vintageinjune

Brilliant_Rock
How extraordinary in every way, she won't remember getting it, but she WILL love this piece and treasure it her entire life. It is so well done, so intricate yet substantial. Love it!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very appropriate gift for her! I can see her wearing that as an adult. What a lovely idea. She will always remember her forward thinking aunt her had this made for her. Well done! So much better than another Disney toy...

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a great idea and a beautiful outcome! :love: :appl: My aunt gave me jewelry when I was young and I treasure the pieces to this day.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a wonderful idea. It turned out beautiful and I am sure she will cherish it when she is older.

lanakane

Rough_Rock
That is adorable and elegant all at once. Lucky little girl! :)

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
I had to come back and look again! What a lucky little girl:)

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is so BEAUTIFUL! There's nothing like a truly unique and special piece of jewelry.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:love: :love: :love: I love everything about this piece! Love love love :love: :love: :love:

apacherose

Brilliant_Rock
This is so special it makes me want to hug you! Gorgeous and beautiful, you envisioned and commissioned a work of art. Well done.

TruLuv858

Brilliant_Rock
What a fabulous idea!!! It's absolutely beautiful and so thoughtful! Thank you for sharing, what is now a "legacy" piece! Love!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The enchanted egg is utterly enchantING!

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
I cannot even begin to tell you how much I adore this egg. It's a masterpiece! Any chance we could get a neckshot?

Cozystitches

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ok, so I read through the back story and, to be honest, when you said it was like an egg for a toddler I was like :rolleyes: . HOWEVER, that piece is so beautiful and the sentiment is so sweet. It is a truly lovely, beautiful, exquisitely wonderful gift. I love the craftmanship that went into it. Neck shots would be awesome. :D :D :D Thank you for sharing the backstory (because it IS very sweet), and is so touching. :D Thanks again for sharing. :D

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rosebloom said:
I cannot even begin to tell you how much I adore this egg. It's a masterpiece! Any chance we could get a neckshot?
Hi Rosebloom, thanks for stopping by. I'll try to get some neckshots this weekend. :)

Cozystitches said:
Ok, so I read through the back story and, to be honest, when you said it was like an egg for a toddler I was like :rolleyes: . HOWEVER, that piece is so beautiful and the sentiment is so sweet. It is a truly lovely, beautiful, exquisitely wonderful gift. I love the craftmanship that went into it. Neck shots would be awesome. :D :D :D Thank you for sharing the backstory (because it IS very sweet), and is so touching. :D Thanks again for sharing. :D
Thanks for your kind words and concern, Cozystitches. Actually I had the same worry about giving a jewelry piece to a little one, but I think it'll work out fine because my sister will likely wear the necklace until my niece is old enough. :)

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Finally got around to taking some crappy neck shots. Hope it adds some perspective.

20141117_111634.jpg 2014-11-17_11_0.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results