shape
carat
color
clarity

Emerald with no treatment: should I purchase?

JewelPhenom

Rough_Rock
Considering the purchase of this emerald, it is a bit over 3 carats, Zambian, no treatment of any kind.

I saw the stone in person and the specs were verbally confirmed by my “go to” GIA professional who also saw it in person. Of course, my offer would be contingent upon an AGL report should I decide to purchase.

The photos are mine. There is no window, zoning or gray. Any spots are from my handling, the stone is almost totally clean and very lively.

Could be a nice Christmas present to myself; it might make a nice pendant.
What do you think?

_24638.jpg

_24639.jpg

CirrusClouds

Rough_Rock
Trade
That is a nice stone. If there is indeed no enhancements of any type; that is a rare stone!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What an amazing stone: big and with a great color. And quite rare since it's not oiled.
It would be great for a ring :love: But it will be less vulnerable in a pendant.

MJO

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Good looking stone I would purchase depending on price and getting a cert from a reputable lab.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
An untreated emerald is very rare, so it must be very clean to not require any enhancement. Zambian emeralds, overall, tend to be cleaner than their Colombian counterparts. It looks like a lovely stone. I agree with everyone else that that an AGL report would be required.

JewelPhenom

Rough_Rock
CirrusClouds, Acinom, MJO, TL
Thank you all for your helpful comments. I do like it and it sounds like others do as well. My photography skills are not up to capturing the quality of the gem. I enjoy the color and that the gem draws the eye deep into the center and then rewards with an internal glow; not something I have seen previously.

Yet, I do not have a lot of experience with emeralds, limited knowledge on Columbian and almost nil on Zambian. The price per carat is commensurate with a price expectation of such a Zambian emerald, I have been told; and then discounted because of a continuing business relationship. My expectation for such a purchase would be to enjoy it, and if I were to ever tire of it, sell.

I appreciate being able to turn to the collective expertise and wisdom of this forum; it is an invaluable resource. The rarity factor is intriguing. Is there an overall percentage which would illustrate the rarity of untreated Zambian emeralds? Such as 90% are treated?

Other than the AGL report, which is a must, anything else to consider?

eastjavaman

Shiny_Rock
Damn, the color itself is delicious :love: I would buy it if it minimally oiled, assuming the price is right(read: I can afford it). I understand that untreated emerald are less than 1% in existence, as emerald has visible inclusions that would deemed it unattractive.

JewelPhenom

Rough_Rock
Thank you eastjavaman.
I will examine the additional photos I took to see if they show more clearly the clarity of the stone.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
If it truly is untreated, it's a stunning find. The color is Wow, and no window -- exceptional clarity if it escaped at least oiling. Depending on an AGL report, I'd snap that baby up in seconds!

--- Laurie

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JewelPhenom|1417158287|3791619 said:
CirrusClouds, Acinom, MJO, TL
Thank you all for your helpful comments. I do like it and it sounds like others do as well. My photography skills are not up to capturing the quality of the gem. I enjoy the color and that the gem draws the eye deep into the center and then rewards with an internal glow; not something I have seen previously.

Yet, I do not have a lot of experience with emeralds, limited knowledge on Columbian and almost nil on Zambian. The price per carat is commensurate with a price expectation of such a Zambian emerald, I have been told; and then discounted because of a continuing business relationship. My expectation for such a purchase would be to enjoy it, and if I were to ever tire of it, sell.

I appreciate being able to turn to the collective expertise and wisdom of this forum; it is an invaluable resource. The rarity factor is intriguing. Is there an overall percentage which would illustrate the rarity of untreated Zambian emeralds? Such as 90% are treated?

Other than the AGL report, which is a must, anything else to consider?

Hopefully it's a trusted seller, as there are convincing synthetics out there these days. Zambian emeralds can be very beautiful, but IMO, but no match for a super fine Muzo Colombian emerald. If you have the opportunity to do so, I would look at Muzo emeralds, which are usually found in fine antique pieces, to compare. If the stone is very expensive, you may want to do homework on whether or not you want a Zambian vs. a fine Colombian piece. I rather personally have a minor treated fine Muzo to an untreated Zambian, especially if the price difference is not that big of a deal.

With emeralds, it's not about the cut, sparkle, etc. . . but that velvety green glow, "drop of oil," look they have. It's the one gem where I could care less about cutting and sparkle. The finest emeralds in the world actually don't sparkle, but look like fine green satin.

In any case, if it's not treated, I believe an AGL gem brief should suffice. A more expensive prestige report will tell you more about the particular clarity enhancement, and in this case, if its truly Zambian, then origin doesn't matter much. If you want to know more about the true quality of color, then again, a prestige report would be required. I'm not sure if its worth it in this case.

JewelPhenom

Rough_Rock
TL|1417188562|3791696 said:
Hopefully it's a trusted seller, as there are convincing synthetics out there these days.
Very highly trusted; used previously to purchase my sapphires and other similar gems. Though, I trust but always verify.

TL|1417188562|3791696 said:
If you have the opportunity to do so, I would look at Muzo emeralds, which are usually found in fine antique pieces...
Interesting, because that was my original search and believed the same regarding Columbians. However, having seen an untreated, clear emerald in person, there is no comparison. I examined both together and the clarity of the gem, the glow from the Zambian far surpassed the Muzo, and other Muzo emeralds that were offered.

If I waited an additional amount of time, I am unsure that a Columbian emerald would be forthcoming to match my expectations of such a gem.
Your caution and comments are welcome, TL, thank you for bringing up these points.

em6b1.jpg

JewelPhenom

Rough_Rock
Attempting to find photos that show the clarity but unfortunately my photography skills, along with not cleaning it first, interfere with capturing everything in a photo.

It has no window or zoning but this type of photo appears to be the best for showing the clarity.

_24674.jpg

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you love it and they will sell contingent upon an AGL report, I think it would make the perfect Christmas present to yourself :)

That being said, I don't know much about emeralds, other than just buying one on impulse and tooling around the internet after to see if I did okay. To me, the color looks very nice for a Zambian and good clarity for an emerald if faint/minor treatment (and super for untreated). My two times dealing with AGL, they've called first before issuing the report. For example, my cuprian they called to upgrade to a prestige since it was pariable-type. My emerald, they asked if I wanted a verbal -or- issue the report requested -or- add country of origin service (recommended by them if I was looking to sell). I wasn't selling so declined country of origin but did opt for the printed prestige report since it was only $40 more than the verbal.

MJO

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Remember the finest emerald in the world is the one YOU like the best.

CirrusClouds

Rough_Rock
Trade
Thank you for the magnified photo of the Emerald. It's truly a remarkable stone and being a miner myself who mines for Emeralds in N.C.; you would have yourself a true "gem" of nature. :bigsmile:

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, that's a beauty, I'd go for it. :appl: :appl:

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
Well, I like it a lot. Extremely clean and a nicely saturated perhaps slightly bluish green colour. Emeralds usually photograph horribly and it looks great in your pics. Out out curiosity, what are it's measurements? It's interesting that this Zambian's emerald glow was better than the Muzos in your eyes. Do let us know what you decide!

MJO

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
She did say it looked better than the Muzo material they had there to compare it to. It might just be they didn't have any top Muzo stones there to compare it to.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MJO|1417218757|3792057 said:
She did say it looked better than the Muzo material they had there to compare it to. It might just be they didn't have any top Muzo stones there to compare it to.

Right, top grade Muzos are a whole different ball of wax. There are plenty of medium and commercial grade Muzos out there. However, if you love the Zambian stone, then go for it.

This is one of the best photographic attempts I've seen on PS of a fine emerald, and its Colombian. It's so hard to properly photograph emeralds, as many of us well know.

_23572.jpg

2_nd_0.jpg

JewelPhenom

Rough_Rock
LoversKites said:
Out out curiosity, what are it's measurements?
I am so embarrassed, LK, but I do not have the measurements. :oops: I was so enthralled with the gem, measurements did not matter as much after noticing that it was so clean, untreated and that it held my gaze. The best emerald I had seen.

I might have the measurements someplace, perhaps from my GG expert, I will need to look. My only thought about size at the time was that it was 3 carats and I had been looking for at least a 4 carat.

LoversKites said:
Emeralds usually photograph horribly and it looks great in your pics.
That is very kind of you to say. It truly was much better looking than I could capture.

JewelPhenom

Rough_Rock
lilmosun said:
If you love it and they will sell contingent upon an AGL report, I think it would make the perfect Christmas present to yourself :)

Thank you for enabling! :naughty:
The person will sell contingent upon any report(s) of my choosing.
My GG expert agrees it is not treated but I always get a report for such gems.

treasurehunter

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
A very clean Emerald ! Muzo emeralds are all about the color, but different people prefer different things.
Its always a good idea to check the emerald in differnt lighting to see how it reacts to different lighting situations and see if the Zambian emerald holds up to the muzo one.

JewelPhenom

Rough_Rock
MJO said:

Yes, MJO, that is correct. Short of traveling somewhere to see a selection, they are the best available in this area. I did see some beautiful gems, but the clarity and color of this Zambian was amazing. The current owner of the Zambian had been traveling overseas and bought it with me in mind but had also been looking for Columbian's per my request. The Columbian's shown to me were very expensive but I do not necessarily equate that to top quality or that they would meet my personal wants in a lovely gem. They were oiled, but nothing more per my GG expert.

MJO said:
Good looking stone I would purchase depending on price and getting a cert from a reputable lab.
The price is appropriate for an expensive gem which is fine as long as it meets that qualification. And not being familiar with Zambian, it is unknown to me the scarcity of clean and with great color Zambians.

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock

Since the seller is offering a fine untreated 3 carat emerald I assumed that he or she was selling higher end stones than medium or commercial grade Muzos, but I guess that assumption is not necessarily correct.

JewelPhenom

Rough_Rock
LoversKites|1417251279|3792206 said:

Since the seller is offering a fine untreated 3 carat emerald I assumed that he or she was selling higher end stones than medium or commercial grade Muzos, but I guess that assumption is not necessarily correct.

Hi LK
The emeralds I was shown are probably considered higher end, but I was looking for something more. As has been pointed out, we all have our personal likes when it comes to gems.

JewelPhenom

Rough_Rock
Thank you TL, but the emerald in the photos included with your post is not what I am looking for at this time. I have a few similar to it already.

It does remind me that I must take some nice photos of my gems; I do them a disservice with my quick selfies. I am sure I have one around of my large sapphire; because I set it as a pendant, a selfie is the only way I can view it without a mirror.

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
JewelPhenom|1417251896|3792211 said:
It does remind me that I must take some nice photos of my gems; I do them a disservice with my quick selfies. I am sure I have one around of my large sapphire; because I set it as a pendant, a selfie is the only way I can view it without a mirror.

I strongly agree with that! :bigsmile:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JewelPhenom|1417251896|3792211 said:
Thank you TL, but the emerald in the photos included with your post is not what I am looking for at this time. I have a few similar to it already.

You're welecome JewelPhenom.

It seems like you made up your mind on this Zambian emerald, so if you love it that much, I would go for it as long as it has an AGL.

Good luck and take more pics when you get it. :)

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Yes, please, more pictures when you get it, and congratulations on finding just what you want. Ahem...and we would love to see photos of your other stones, asap! :appl:

JewelPhenom

Rough_Rock
TL said:
You're welecome JewelPhenom.
It seems like you made up your mind on this Zambian emerald, so if you love it that much, I would go for it as long as it has an AGL.
Good luck and take more pics when you get it. :)

I have not decided.
I was not sure if there was an intended slight by comparing a Zambian emerald that is 5 figures/per carat to an Ebay uncertified stone that may be worth, generously, $500 USD.

But I choose to hope that it was not meant as an insult, TL. And I did solicit comments.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Estate-Plat...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I have several of those type rings and do not wish to purchase another. Two credentialed gemology professionals have independently commented on the value of the Zambian emerald. And I am growing tired looking for an elusive Columbian, especially given the Zambian awaiting my purchase.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results