shape
carat
color
clarity

Emerald & Victorian Cut Pics & ASETs..Opinions Please..

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi All,

I've been contemplating branching out of the Round rut I've found myself in lately. While I love a coloured stone, my 1st love is for the colourless ones & so, I delve in to the world of fancy cuts. This isn't any easier than trying to find a coloured stone. :wall: But I'm stubborn, I'll keep trying. :loopy: My idea was for a 3 stone East West right hand ring, platinum head, Rose gold for the rest. Not sure on this yet. 1st I have to find a stone.

** The static pics aren't great because I took a quick & dirty pic from my screen via my phone. But this will give you an idea of what the stone looks like. I'm unable to post the links & not sure if the vendors site is down or what. I should apologize now in case the pics are too large or too small. Photo bucket was acting up this morning. *** Links are working now!..Here you go..

1. 1.03, SI-1, H,...rare, but eye clean.
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/1.03-carat-h-color-si1-clarity-sku-316773
" Stands out among the three with excellent brilliance, fire and sparkle! It faces up white and closer to a G in color. This selection is the brightest and has the best light return of all three. Its emerald shape is quite beautiful as is its faceting pattern. The SI1 inclusions are very light and not visible to the naked eye".
SI-1--H---PIC_zps2inezmbp.jpg
ASET-SI-1-H_zpsqr5mjkqs.jpg

2. 1.24, VS-1, I..
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/1.24-carat-i-color-vs1-clarity-sku-312696
"is another great selection with very good brilliance, fire and sparkle! It faces up white with a hair warmer tone to it at its ‘I’ color. The emerald shape is less elongated than the first selection, but faces up larger with its 1.24 ct. It is also eye-clean!"
1.2420VS-1-20I-20_zpsvcwrysal.jpg

ASET--VS-1-I_zps85k1vfy8.jpg

3. 1.22, VS-2, H.... Victorian Cut.. Has both Emerald & Radiant characteristics, but I think more Emerald-like.
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/radiant-cut/1.22-carat-h-color-vs2-clarity-sku-461079
I had high hopes for this one but I think it fell a bit shorter than expected. I came across this unusual stone in the Radiant search section.
"also comes highly recommended, however it was the third favorite because it has slightly less light return coming from the center. It faces up white and has excellent brilliance, fire and sparkle! The shape is unique and stunning as is the faceting pattern. It is also eye-clean."
Victorian20Cut--1.2220H_zpsh2lb9ifc.jpg
1.22--20Victorian20Cut2020ASET_zpshx72hmc4.jpg

I don't know anything about this cut, really couldn't find a lot about it online. The Victorian Cut website is a bit slim on information truthfully but I did contact George from the company who has been quick to respond to my questions. Perhaps this particular Vic. Cut isn't the best example, I'm not sure. And maybe it's just the nature of the cut for the centre to have "slightly less light return". Maybe it's intended to be that way. :think: Like I said, this one fell a bit short. I love the faceting on the outer portion of the stone. Maybe I can have their cutter tweak it. LMAO Hey, I said I was stubborn, not smart. :tongue: :lol:

Any thoughts on the ASETs & gemologists opinions. I'm not really wowed by any of the Asets to be honest. If anything, others that might be looking at these very stones will already have a jump start & have the ASETs. ;))

Thanks...
Judy

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I couldn't edit my post...

But I wanted to know if it was possible to tweak this (Victorian Cut) stone. Anyone from the trade be able to offer an opinion on this? I suppose I should just email George and ask him. But he has some stones in stock but smaller than this one. :rodent:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My personal pick of your three options is the 1st one. Nice pattern, good light return and well balanced all around. #3 is just very different; I would pick this one if only the middle wasn't so dead. ;( It's sort of like what the Octavia does in that it is a snazzier style step cut but yet not a true step cut.

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks Chrono for responding. I do like the look of #1 too. I just had thought the Victorian Cut would have really been something with the fancy faceting.

Here is a pic I forgot to post...is a group shot of all 3.
ALL20320stones20together_zpso8gox3in.jpg

You know...it doesn't look that dead in the pic. I might need to have them take another pic or 2 of it. I feel like I want to give it a chance.
:???:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Picture won't load for me.

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Photobucket is acting up today!

Here it is...a bit big but at least I got it up. LOL

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very interesting....yes, better pictures would be good. Is the order 1, 3, 2 from top to bottom? I think all 3 diamonds are tilted slightly in that picture.

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I just asked the JA rep for more pictures. They don't normally do it I think but I'm hoping they will since this cut is pretty unique to all of us here. The stones in the group picture are top to bottom, 1.03 , 1.22 , 1.24. They do look a bit tilted. When I asked for more pictures, I asked for different angles. I hope they have time to do it.

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi!

Is George able to give you any insight on the cut of the Victorian Cut you posted? I think it's really stunning and so unique. It would make a gorgeous ring with so many beautiful possibilities. Looking forward to more photos if JA can provide you with them.

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi JDDN,

I've emailed George to ask him to come explain this cut. It may not suit the masses but it's pretty different from the normal type of stone we see here. I hope he does take the time to tell us about it.

The JA rep got back to me & I wont be getting anymore pictures. In fact, the group shot was a courtesy since is not something they normally do. I'm glad they did because if it was up to the written description of the stone, & I didn't have a picture to look at, I wouldn't be taking another look at it. The video is helpful but only to a certain degree. I can't really make out how the facets work or dont work under the table of the Vic. Cut in that video.

Has anyone ever seen one of these in person? Who has a long lunch hour & lives in Manhattan? :lol: I think the Victorian Cut office is there. :naughty:

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope he explains the cut too, I'm very curious!

Not sure how you feel about it, but if you were really, really interested you could buy it given JA's return policy. I did just look at the video and it says it's not available, so maybe you put it on reserve? ;-)

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am sure people will disagree but I prefer both the larger stones in the photograph to the smaller one, they both look visually more interesting, especially the Antique cut if that makes sense IRL than the smaller stone. I think if they do have a great return policy get the Antique stone and see if you love it and if the centre area being a bit dead bugs you or if the cool facet pattern overall overcomes that. Antique stones are not perfect cuts that is part of their charm, I think you will either love it or you it will have things that bother you in which case send it back and swap it for one of the others.

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
JDDN.. Yes, it's on reserve for me. You learn quick around here about lurkers. ;)) George did send me an email which I have to read again. I'll paste whatever he might say about the cut here cause I think he's shy. :sun:

Arkieb1, JA's return policy is one of the most generous of the vendors here. I definitely have that to fall back on & I can certainly have it shipped to Buffalo, which is definitely doable. If I like it, I send it to someone to have a setting made & if I don't like it, off it goes back to JA. I'd like to make as much as an informed decision as I can without forking over several thousands because even with a refund, I'm paying more to buy U.S money than it would be sold back in my account, so to speak. I would still lose some money on the return. A bit of stress, thank you Bank of Canada. :angryfire:

The cut or brand of the stone is called Victorian Cut but isn't a vintage stone from yesteryear. It's new & isn't a reproduction as in some of the branded new cushions & rounds that a few vendors are having cut. Thats why this one is intriguing me because it doesn't fit conveniently in any of the categories. I call it a hybrid but I'm sure those at Victorian Cut wouldnt be pleased with my labeling it as such. No offense of course because I like the stone. I have till tomorrow to make my decision so I'll have to consider just buying it if I'm that interested in it. As for the other Emeralds, well, there isn't anything that different about them. Like a H&A round, they can be found quite easily, yes, a bit harder to find a winner, but they are always available.

George did respond to my query about tweaking the stone & said he spoke with his people & that if I bought the stone, to send it to them & they would take a look at it. He said there was some room because the stone had some excess weight. George, I love the size...I won't want to lose too much weight. :D And if I had to lose any significant amount of weight, I wouldnt have it tweaked. :lol: Great to know I can have the Victorian Cut folks fix it up if I want. He also said of the cut in comparison to a straight forward step cut, that "the top crown faceting of the Victorian Cut plays a greater role when reflecting light comes in from the top table and hits the step cut pavilion facets ( we call them mirrors) and back up through the crown to the eyes creating brilliance, fire and sparkle."

I really would like anyone who is reading this from whatever corner of the world they're in if they do have one to post. There was a poster back in Nov. 2012 who posted a few pics of a ring. I guess since this stone might be #340 that there is someone out there with one. LOL

I'm glad I have another night to contemplate the 3 stones. I'm definitely leaning toward the Victorian Cut.

Judy
:))

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I googled it;

"ABA Diamond's owner, Ari Abaev, didn't set out to create a new fancy shape diamond. He was working with an emerald cut and noticed that its brilliance was beyond the ordinary stone of its type. Once the particulars were figured out concerning what made the stone unique, the Victorian Cut was born. The Victorian Cut premiered at a trade show in Las Vegas in 2002, as "the victory of art over dimensions."

Here is their website;

http://www.victoriancutdiamond.com/

I am used to people calling antique diamonds "Victorian cuts" due to the era rather than the facet pattern. I get it now it's sort of like a Emerald cut with more facets like a Crisscut EC but not exactly. I've seen a Crisscut EC and I think they are cool personally but a lot of people find them too busy and non EC like - so once again in this case you are going to probably either see it and love it or think the same thing, it's too busy.

They are marketed to be "more brilliant" than an standard EC so it is interesting that the ASET and JA both indicate a underwhelming centre area. Maybe it won't matter at all because the steps on the side will flash so much they might compensate for it (that is what I am thinking if it was described as a part radiant the sides have a much finer faster flash/fire/sparkle pattern rather than a big broader scintillation pattern) - ask the JA people if that is the case overall that the side of the thing really light up compared to the other stones. Do you like radiants and things with a faster scintillation pattern as well?

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi Arkeib1,

I had read all that too on his site but I was spending more time blowing up & staring at the pics in the Gallery section. LOL But yes, essentially that is what George has been saying. I've been calling it a hybrid because it seems to be pretty much half of one type of stone & 1/2 the other. I do love the sparkle of the Radiant & thats why I was on the Radiant search section on JA. None of the radiants were good candidates for me. I've also been appreciating Emeralds & their simplistic elegance. I can't say no to sparkle. I'm like a crow sometimes & zero in on it. Hence my excitement to having found a stone that might possess the qualities from both types in one stone. Could it be too good to be true? I had to find out. It looks like it would have a much better ASET than it did. I was just downright sad when I saw the ASET. I told the sales rep at JA that I was sad like my 5 yr old nephew who's ice cream fell off his cone last week. Only I didn't start bawling my eyes out. :lol: He got a new ice-cream cone (also known as mine) & all was well in his world again. :))

I managed to find a store locally that was a Christopher Deisgns AD. I too thought they were too busy. Nothing to look at but scissor cut facets that ran vertical with the stone. It looked to frantic a pattern, which wasn't much to appreciate. Naturally, thats my opinion as others have clearly loved & bought Crisscut stones. I know the Crisscut isn't for me. The Victorian Cut at least has a pattern I can follow.

I hear you on looking for Victorian Cut. I googled it & all I found was a couple hits for Victorian Cut diamonds but then pages & pages of old world stones & art deco -victorian settings. Too much to wade through.

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Here's more from the website..in case others can't go through the link....

'" Experience the impact of a diamond that reveals dazzling new dimensions in natures most exquisite treasure.Physical Characteristics and Cutting"

"Designed and cut to specific dimensions and set to ideal proportions for classical shape, the Victorian cut diamond uniquely carries 73 facets. The top crown is multifaceted with a small table which contributes significantly to the brilliance and beauty of the diamond. The bottom pavilion is a multifaceted stepcut with specific degrees configured mathematically by the designer in order to gain more reflective brilliance throughout the diamond. Of equal significance, when the Victorian Cut is set, because of its inherent classical proportions and perfect shape, it looks even larger than it first appeared. Its prominence is not an illusion but a natural consequence of the Victorian Cut's distinctive attributes. Victorian cut diamond technicians are experienced, determined and foresee the diamond's beauty before it is actually cut."

George did say he would be very open to me sending the stone to him & having his people look at it again in case they can do something to tweak it. Read my previous post, I dont want to lose size if there is a lot to lose. A bit of skimming is ok & if they leave the overall dimensions the same. Then I would think of having them tweak it. :shock:

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hmm, I just hit 1000 posts. :dance: Only took 13 years to do it. :shock: :-o Oh well...carry on. :lol:

Any opinions on the stones are very welcome. :))

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats on 1000 posts - Crisscuts are busy looking they look insanely cool in big sized stones though. I think the ASET tells you a lot it's going to be flat and glassy in the middle and the 4 corners and then the extra facets and unusual cut pattern is going to bling out the rest of the sides of it, where the steps are.... If you like just plain ECs I'd say forget it but because you are into radiants it's still probably worth a chance. I personally probably wouldn't mess around trying to recut it, you will lose weight and therefore resale value.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ccuheartnurse|1434081238|3888206 said:
George did say he would be very open to me sending the stone to him & having his people look at it again in case they can do something to tweak it. Read my previous post, I dont want to lose size if there is a lot to lose. A bit of skimming is ok & if they leave the overall dimensions the same. Then I would think of having them tweak it. :shock:

I would go with the above.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like the look of the victorian. It's different and I bet when it moves you get more sparks than the emeralds (probably
smaller though...and I'm just guessing). That would be my choice out of the 3 because I would like to own something different and
even though it's not an old cut it does sort of remind me of something you would see in an old piece of jewelry.

The first stone isnt bad. Not the best I've see but probably pretty nice.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ccuheartnurse|1434084175|3888224 said:
Hmm, I just hit 1000 posts. :dance: Only took 13 years to do it. :shock: :-o Oh well...carry on. :lol:

Any opinions on the stones are very welcome. :))

Congrats!!!

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I seem to be in a win- win situation and I'm a bit slow to learn it. I have JA's return policy & the Victorian Cut company saying they will look at the stone again if I want them to so, really, there should be no issue. Glad I have a few more hours to let them know.

Thanks tyty333 for your opinion. I agree with all you said. The stone does have a bit of an old fashioned flare but what grabbed my attention was how different it was.

I did ask the JA rep to take a look at the stone to view how the sparkly sides might compensate the centre area. It might not even need compensation. I have a feeling I'll be taking a drive to Buffalo very soon. I better gas up. :rodent:

I've released the other Emeralds & they are available now.

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is exciting :).

I know what it's like to be intrigued by a stone and recently I purchased one because I just had to see it myself. Turns out it wasn't the one, but I don't regret buying it to see myself one bit. I would've always wondered if it was "the one." So no regrets ;-).
Will be following your journey. Congrats on the 1000 posts too! :dance:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the third stone is very interesting and I like it! I wouldn't buy one and try to recut, though. I think that could be risky. Maybe you can find out if they have other stones like it available or order this one to look at in person first. I don't really love the other two. I would love an emerald cut, too, and I think it just takes time to find a great one. I kind of hope you order the Victorian cut one to look at, though!

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
JDDN...You have a great attitude. And now you know, it wasnt the one for you & can move on. I want to be as laid back as you are. LOL

DS... Completely agree about not wanting to send the stone for a recut. What a hassle that would be. Victorian Cut assured me it was no big deal. The absolute most I would want take off is dust. LOL When I emailed George at Victorian Cut initially to get some information about the stone I had found on JA search, he mentioned he had a couple more, an I & an H. Both were a tad more expensive & about .25 cts smaller. Naturally, you know I was going to stick with the larger stone. :D I've got a few days to consider this one so I'm trying to not stress about it.

And for anyone interested in these stones, they have some in stock, & also have a custom order option as well. And they carry their own Cut of Traps & Emerald Cuts for side stones. So if there's a combination you like, you can place an order. While I'm not getting engaged & this would be my right hand ring, & am not against a deadline, I am however against losing more of my mind than I have already. Ordering a custom stone isn't going to be an option. LOL However, I might want to ask George that. ;-)

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I haven't updated this thread & thought I should. After a lot of deliberating, I chose not to go forward with any of the stones I had initially chosen. I was able to get some extra pictures of the Victorian Cut stone from JA (a bit of a hiccup to get them but they pulled through...thanks Josh & Jim.. :clap: ). Although it's a beautiful stone, & I really was quite taken by the look & concept of the faceting, I couldn't pull the trigger on it. George from Victorian Cut had sent me pictures of other stones he has available, & they are more lively under the table. I wasn't comfortable raising my budget quite that high but he does have a gorgeous 1.32 VVS H available. ;))

The right one will come along at some point. In the meantime, I continue to look forward to completing a couple projects. :naughty:

=)

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you still have those pictures? I'd be interested to see more, that victorian is so unique!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really agree with you..I have to do the same...put the breaks on something if I do not feel 100% sure. Fortunately for my husband, I feel that way a lot! :lol:

But I am looking forward to hearing what other projects you are up to!

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh Geez! Just noticed Telephone you asked for more pics! I'll upload some to Photobucket & post them in the next few days. I have a family member from Italy visiting & I'm currently playing Tour Guide. Exhausting!

DS..My OEC project is complete & I'm waiting for my station diamond bracelet to be done as well. No pics on the bracelet, which will take another couple weeks & I just need to get my a$$ in gear & post an incoming thread for my OEC. :sun: As soon as my visitor is gone I will. But to give you a hint, you commented on my ring on CVB's page last week. A somewhat modified Casablanca bezel but without the scallops. ;))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results