shape
carat
color
clarity

Emerald ring: real or not real?

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
1B33A201-E4E7-41B1-AC95-2CE7A1DB6F90.jpeg 8C49EB86-963A-494C-8CD9-F2588E4C50B7.jpeg B373DE6A-7AB3-4A34-883A-1C4F130A1AAD.jpeg

I’d like to start by saying that yes, no one can tell if a stone is real by photos, but I just wanted to get the group’s expert eye on this for a general Gestalt for an auction item I’m eyeing. It’s being sold as an emerald and diamond ring for a few hundred dollars. Very poor quality photos.

What do you think? Looks like paste to me maybe given how clear the “emerald” looks. And yes, I’m still tempted...

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Could be paste. Often time Victorian ring were set with paste and also original gemstones can get damaged and replaced later.
Does the auction house guarantee their listing? I mean, if they say “Emerald and diamond ring” in the catalogue, if you find out its paste after testing, will they refund you?
Or is it listed as “green stone and diamond ring”?
My experience is that auction houses do have in house jewellery people who can assess a gemstone (some better than others) and if they say green stone, green crystal etc, it’s not an emerald.
In any regard, for a few hundred dollars I’d grab it! The settings and diamonds are easily worth that.The centre stone could always be replaced.

pwsg07

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If the facets are concave the emerald maybe glass. If the diamonds look real, I would agree with Bron and buy the ring.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
To me, it looks like a paste stone. :(
Im not an expert or anything either, just another lady who spends all her free time outside of work and family playing with gemstones.

If it is indeed paste, its still a lovely color!
Good luck!

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would also guess paste. It doesn’t look quite right to me...

Last edited:

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
@Bron357 as always thanks for your expert opinion! Sadly the auction price just rose to about $700, I think maybe I’ll pass at this point. Doesn’t seem worth the risk.

@pwsg07 hard to tell if they look like OMC or not, the photos are just so poor...

@TheGarnetGirl oh I don’t know, I sort of consider you an emerald connoisseur now; Ivy is gorgeous!

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
@JPie Yes, something about the slightly cloudiness and the lack of inclusions, and the way the color/light concentrates makes me suspicious.

Think it’s glass and I’d better pass. Hehe.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, $700 is an ok price IF it is indeed an emerald but too much for paste.
Better to err on the side of caution if you aren’t sure.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
@Bron357 as always thanks for your expert opinion! Sadly the auction price just rose to about $700, I think maybe I’ll pass at this point. Doesn’t seem worth the risk.

@pwsg07 hard to tell if they look like OMC or not, the photos are just so poor...

@TheGarnetGirl oh I don’t know, I sort of consider you an emerald connoisseur now; Ivy is gorgeous!

Aww, you are way too sweet!
Lets just say ive found my lane or niche in the gemstone world!
I just love bluish green gems or greenish blue babies and an emerald that has a nice blue modifier fits my ideal color perfectly. Believe it or not but i dont like the markets idea of a premium emerald; that darker rich forest green color. :naughty:
The one gem that is technically blue green that i have yet to pick up intensely are paraibas...i know im awful! BUT, they are slowly growing on me.
& I'm definetely no expert on emeralds whatsoever, my knowledge only bends so far that way, but i just have a love for them.
I hope your find your ideal emerald in a price that fits your budget! Going smaller can always help. Sending dust to you!:mrgreen:

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
@TheGarnetGirl thanks for your kind words! I can’t wait to see your finished ring!

If I may ask you the name of your vendor that supplied beautiful Ivy? (To share myself, I’ve been looking on Embassy Emeralds, master cuts, gene precision cuts, and Wildfish gems for loose and preferably oiled only or unoiled stones).

One of my friends also introduced me to Jogani but that vendor is a bit out of my price range although their stones are majestic!

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
@TheGarnetGirl thanks for your kind words! I can’t wait to see your finished ring!

If I may ask you the name of your vendor that supplied beautiful Ivy? (To share myself, I’ve been looking on Embassy Emeralds, master cuts, gene precision cuts, and Wildfish gems for loose and preferably oiled only or unoiled stones).

One of my friends also introduced me to Jogani but that vendor is a bit out of my price range although their stones are majestic!

Thank you! It wont be done for quite a while but the pending project has been satisfying my jewelry thirst.
& Ive been asked for the supplier by multiple members in the past but sadly I'm not yet comfortable giving that out. Especially on a public forum, where there are many many lurkers. Ivy was my first purchase from the vendor and ive only purchased one other gemstone since, and while the vendor seems to be honest and have great character id hate to vet for someone that ultimately ended up being the opposite.
I will post their name eventually if purchases keep going as smoothly as they have, and it will be its own thread in CS or I will find a way to private message you and the others who asked on another medium.
Good luck on your journey, and its good youre looking at vintage and antique because you can find some of the best deals in preowned!

EC8

Shiny_Rock
Sold for almost $3400 so I guess a few people though the emerald is real...

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
@EC8 wow super sleuthing skills you’ve got there, hats off to you!

Yes, I saw that too. Wasn’t going to bite the bullet at that high a price in case it turned out to be all paste. You know what they say, you gamble big you may win or lose big.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results