shape
carat
color
clarity

Emerald ring-care question

emeraldgalB

Rough_Rock
Hello! Hopefully, I am being overly paranoid, but i thought I would run this by you all. I have an emerald(gemstone) engagement ring, which I only wear on special occasions, as I also have my grandmother's diamond ering. I had read online to avoid drastic temperature changes while wearing my ring(such as jumping into a freezing pool).

This led me to think about what is considered a drastic temperature change. Is it safe to go from, say 70 degrees inside temperature, to 30 degrees outside temperature? If not, i guess I will not be wearing my ring in the winter!

Thanks in advance.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you'll be fine in such cases. The caution is mainly with super high temps like a steamer and super cold temps.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My mother (who wore an Emerald for every day of her life - now mine), ALWAYS took her Emerald off when she was anywhere near hot water (ie washing up). She told me that hot water could crack an Emerald (which is true). Weather temperatures are probably different because you're normally kitted out for the weather and if it's on your finger then the change won't be as drastic.

Clearly, cleaning an Emerald needs to be done with care and some "babying" of the gemstone is advised. If you're hard on your gems then you do need to be careful because any knocks or bumps could chip it. However if, like me, you're light on your gems then enjoy wearing it!

emeraldgalB

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the replies. Wow,that's amazing your mom took such good care of her ring,and it's still around to be enjoyed. I try to be "light" on my jewelry,but I work in a medical setting,wear gloves,have to wash my hands frequently,so I mostly just wear the emerald out on the weekends. I greatly enjoy it when I do wear it!

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I doubt an emerald would be cracked from differences in air temp; sharp changes in water temps are a different story. I would take off of doing dishes (changes in hot or cold water) or jumping from regular swimming pool to hot tub. I actually was ignorant of all this and even cleaned my emerald ring in a lab sonicator (used for mixing solutions) and didn't have it crack (though one of the lower quality diamond baguettes in the ring did!).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results