shape
carat
color
clarity

Emerald Question

rmatt3

Rough_Rock
Hello!

Layperson here – Im looking to get an engagement ring made in the next year and my girlfriend keeps referencing the emerald in the photo attached. It is lighter and more opaque than what Im used to seeing in emeralds. Is this a certain type or is it just the photography? In looking for a similar stone how should I describe it? Alternatively, are there other stones that have a similar color/quality?

Any insight would be appreciated!

Screen Shot 2019-09-15 at 1.07.37 PM.png

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn’t even call that an emerald, it’s extremely pale, and very low quality. Emerald isn’t suited for e-rings. It’s prone to chipping.

I saw tons of material like that in gemstone jars out in the open, so it obviously isn’t considered high value.

rmatt3

Rough_Rock
Ah, I see – is there another stone with a similar light green color, I think the pale quality is pretty beautiful and she's not interest in the v concentrated green of your typical emerald

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah, I see – is there another stone with a similar light green color, I think the pale quality is pretty beautiful and she's not interest in the v concentrated green of your typical emerald
Not in a stone I would recommend for an e-ring. Even green sapphire isn’t as bright light green as that. It typically has a grey mask. I did once see a minty green sapphire, but they can color shift to a greyer color.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If that is your girlfriend’s idea of a perfect emerald, then you are in luck because it is easy on the wallet! Trade ideal emeralds are crazy expensive.

Adding to what TL said about emeralds being prone to chipping, that setting isn’t the best because it doesn’t protect the emerald very well. The metalwork also looks pretty sloppy.

If you’re willing to accept the risk of a fragile gem, then check out Yvonne Railey. She works with colored gemstones and can make you a higher quality ring for a reasonable price:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CecileRaleyDesigns

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You need to be looking for a less included light green emerald. If they are heavily included they are more likely to chip and break and emerald is a stone that is not recommended for every day wear like in an engagement ring worn all the time because it tends to be fairly soft compared to diamonds and lots of other types of gemstones.

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Not really ER material, but the first thing that comes to mind is gem silica..

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would your girlfriend be open to a sapphire? These are darker than what she wants, but they’re durable enough:

2B494420-E808-4CD6-8A63-5AC828A2C9A7.png 1CF7C0A0-53DE-43F4-8FA6-A1AE29027AC0.png E71F0BD6-7B54-4ACA-AF27-4CCAAC047EE6.png

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If your SO has her heart set on an emerald, I don't think that's out of the question. My e-ring was a Victorian-era, emerald and diamond ring that was about 120-years-old at the time of purchase. I wore it every day for almost another 25 years. Yes, the two emeralds acquired a couple of eensy "flea bites," but those weren't apparent except under the closest scrutiny.

I agree, however, with @JPie , that you shouldn't get that particular setting & with @arkieb1 's caution about emeralds that are more fragile due to the number-nature of their inclusions.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cleaner, and less treated emeralds are more durable. You really need to be careful though. I have one that obtained a massive chip due to setting it and the stress along the fractures.

EmeraldEmpress

Shiny_Rock
Emeralds, of all colors/shades, are lovely, but they do tend to be too fragile for daily wear, something I hate to admit, but is true. : (
Personally, I would want to be able to wear my e-ring daily and know that it would stand the test of time. With that in mind, sapphire is suited to daily wear and comes in so many colors/shades that I bet you could find something your girlfriend would like and would be able to wear and enjoy without worry.

I'd recommend EraGem, they have beautiful sapphires in many shades (especially blue/green/teal) that just might work : )
Their settings are very nice too (often vintage or very creative), and they offer some of the best Customer Service I've ever encountered. Highly recommend!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results