shape
carat
color
clarity

Emerald question

Sunshinelab

Shiny_Rock
5741E3DC-F39F-4E6E-8F6A-D0375748D11E.jpeg DDDCE105-8037-46B5-AF65-7E11868EC52E.jpeg ED791A66-DD0F-4ED5-B6F9-B620F677C683.jpeg A662F175-E334-4410-A380-B5362A383B83.jpeg 3A059924-825F-4BD5-8EFC-DB78EF9114CC.jpeg I’m usually very private, but I found and purchased an emerald from one of my favorite places... personally I love it. I realize that it is lighter than the deep emerald color I’d love to have. However I live in an area that doesn’t get much sun... it’s north and we get lake effect snow, rain and clouds. So although I love the deep beautiful color, it might not look as nice here as I’d like... or so i tell myself until i can afford one. This color is gorgeous and it’s ~6x4mm. It is not huge, but my ring finger is a 4.5 so I’m ok with that. Pardon the dry “I work outside” hands. Honestly what do you think? All pictures were taken on an extremely cloudy day with a tiny bit of overcast sun. It was actually between rain that I took the pictures. I believe at this point I’m keeping it. :mrgreen2:

Last edited:

ordinaryrainbow

Shiny_Rock
I think if you love it, that is without doubt the most important thing. After all, you wear the emerald, not the certification or the trade name for the colour or the PS board discussions about ideal emeralds!

Second most important is making sure you didn't overpay for a stone that's not considered a "top trade" colour, but since you mention the deep green colour I take it you're aware the stone you have, although beautiful, should not be commanding a premium price for colour.

You asked for the opinions of other PS'ers so I will give you mine. I think the emerald is really, really pretty and has a beautiful glow in the outside light. It also looks to be beautifully clear. I can see why you say you love it. I love it too!

I don't know if emerald performance depends on the typical light in the area where you live, but if someone told me it does, and for that reason lighter emeralds are preferred further from the equator, it would make total sense to me. I have a gorgeous sapphire that is a rich, royal blue colour, although sometimes can darken down a little too much for my liking where I live in winter (where it snows and is miserable). I recently travelled to Singapore and my sapphire went from being gorgeous to stunning: I put it down to the difference in the strength of the light.

Personally, I have seen emeralds side-by-side in jewellery store cabinets, and preferred the look of slightly lighter (and cheaper!) emeralds to those that have the traditionally rich, green colour. So, I think it totally depends on the individual (and if you prefer a non-trade colour, you get the benefit of a cheaper price for what you love!)

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think it's lovely. It seems glow-y and the hue is very pretty. I think it will look very delicate and ethereal when set. Congrats on finding one you love!

I, too, would love an emerald but I know that I can't afford a top color one. When I'm ready to purchase, I'll go with the best option for my budget and hopefully, I'll end up with a stone that I love as much as you love this one.

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
...I have a gorgeous sapphire that is a rich, royal blue colour, although sometimes can darken down a little too much for my liking where I live in winter (where it snows and is miserable). I recently travelled to Singapore and my sapphire went from being gorgeous to stunning: I put it down to the difference in the strength of the light.

You CANNOT mention that ring without showing us pictures!!! PLEASE start a thread for it!

ordinaryrainbow

Shiny_Rock
You CANNOT mention that ring without showing us pictures!!! PLEASE start a thread for it!

Hahaha, okay! I tried snapping some quick pictures with my iPhone and the sapphire just blacked out in the photos, and looked like Kate Middleton's/Princess Di's sapphire. If I posted them you guys would have thought I had no idea about nice sapphires. I need to get out the proper camera to get some TTL photos.

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So pretty! I really need to buy an emerald and join the club! Enjoy!

Sungura

Brilliant_Rock
@Sunshinelab that emerald is beautiful. I love all the shades of emeralds. The stone appears to be well cut and the color looks beautiful on your hand. I'm so happy you found a gem that makes you happy

@ordinaryrainbow I love this comment you made earlier in the thread "I think if you love it, that is without doubt the most important thing. After all, you wear the emerald, not the certification or the trade name for the colour or the PS board discussions about ideal emeralds!"

Sunshinelab

Shiny_Rock
I think if you love it, that is without doubt the most important thing. After all, you wear the emerald, not the certification or the trade name for the colour or the PS board discussions about ideal emeralds!

Second most important is making sure you didn't overpay for a stone that's not considered a "top trade" colour, but since you mention the deep green colour I take it you're aware the stone you have, although beautiful, should not be commanding a premium price for colour.

You asked for the opinions of other PS'ers so I will give you mine. I think the emerald is really, really pretty and has a beautiful glow in the outside light. It also looks to be beautifully clear. I can see why you say you love it. I love it too!

I don't know if emerald performance depends on the typical light in the area where you live, but if someone told me it does, and for that reason lighter emeralds are preferred further from the equator, it would make total sense to me. I have a gorgeous sapphire that is a rich, royal blue colour, although sometimes can darken down a little too much for my liking where I live in winter (where it snows and is miserable). I recently travelled to Singapore and my sapphire went from being gorgeous to stunning: I put it down to the difference in the strength of the light.

Personally, I have seen emeralds side-by-side in jewellery store cabinets, and preferred the look of slightly lighter (and cheaper!) emeralds to those that have the traditionally rich, green colour. So, I think it totally depends on the individual (and if you prefer a non-trade colour, you get the benefit of a cheaper price for what you love!)

Thank you so much for this! I do absolutely love the clarity and the glow. I think we live in the same place! I have some sapphires I only wear in the summer :mrgreen2:.

Sunshinelab

Shiny_Rock
Your emerald makes me want to sing..."I've got sunshine on a cloudy day" :kiss2:

Are you keeping the the square shape one too?

I love that!!!! I do plan on keeping that on too. It has been part of my collection for 5 years. I really need to set it. It’s small, but the color makes it look much bigger.

Sunshinelab

Shiny_Rock
@Sunshinelab that emerald is beautiful. I love all the shades of emeralds. The stone appears to be well cut and the color looks beautiful on your hand. I'm so happy you found a gem that makes you happy

Thank you so much! I can’t wait to see more of your beautiful emeralds too!

@ordinaryrainbow I love this comment you made earlier in the thread "I think if you love it, that is without doubt the most important thing. After all, you wear the emerald, not the certification or the trade name for the colour or the PS board discussions about ideal emeralds!"

I love this statement so much! I have many gemstones that are very unique and not typical colors that I just love. They all have little stories behind them.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love it!! I prefer the lighter blue/green vs the deeper greens, so it's personally my ideal color even if not "trade ideal".

Sunshinelab

Shiny_Rock
@Sungura I can’t wait to see what you do with your beautiful Emeralds :kiss2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results