shape
carat
color
clarity

Emerald help

agapitor

Shiny_Rock
hi everyone,

After some much needed PS hiatus I am back for some sage advice. A friend's DH is looking for an emerald to set in a necklace or ring. I am not at all familiar with emeralds.. is there anything I should know when doing research? Can you point me to the right direction or should I visit the usual vendors.

thanks

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The most important is to decide the budget which will help guide your friend.
1. Budget
2. Colour quality
3. Treatment level (faint, moderate and the unrecommended heavy)

The lighter toned emeralds are usually cleaner and not treated. The deeper richer velvety emeralds are always of Colombian origin and included to some degree.

agapitor

Shiny_Rock
thanks for the response Chrono.. I checked with my friend's DH and I'm not sure if this is at all feasible. His budget is only $200 and he doesn't care what size or shape but he'd like to give her a necklace or a ring. I'm guessing with this budget he won't be able to get a natural emerald?

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Stuller has emeralds in this price range at the 4mm size which any jeweler in the US can supply readily. They aren't great, but they aren't bad. Some of the cutters who many on this forum buy from undoubtedly have some smallish pieces that might cut bigger than 4mm and be willing to cut one for you. They may have a few weeds in their "jardin" and not be the deepest green, but hey they're emeralds and still nice looking. To get the biggest bang for your buck I would recommend thinking about getting a cab, as they are generally less expensive and more durable, (no sharp edges to knock off).

agapitor

Shiny_Rock
Michael_E|1296174470|2835183 said:
Stuller has emeralds in this price range at the 4mm size which any jeweler in the US can supply readily. They aren't great, but they aren't bad. Some of the cutters who many on this forum buy from undoubtedly have some smallish pieces that might cut bigger than 4mm and be willing to cut one for you. They may have a few weeds in their "jardin" and not be the deepest green, but hey they're emeralds and still nice looking. To get the biggest bang for your buck I would recommend thinking about getting a cab, as they are generally less expensive and more durable, (no sharp edges to knock off).

thanks Michael. there's quite a bit of a difference in the way a cab looks vs the alternative. I'll pass it on to my friend's DH and go from there.

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
agapitor|1296174695|2835186 said:
there's quite a bit of a difference in the way a cab looks vs the alternative.

Not in that price range there isn't. I've bought some of the smaller faceted emeralds from commercial sources, (as replacements for broken stones), and they typically have such a large belly on the pavilion and such flat crowns, that you have to turn them over a couple of times and look very closely to tell whether they sold you a cab or a faceted stone. :bigsmile:

agapitor

Shiny_Rock

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How about a small cab tsavorite? It would be more durable, untreated and probably prettier than a cloudy emerald.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results