shape
carat
color
clarity

Emerald Daimond Help - Dimensions and ASET included

adam31

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

Firstly, I would like to say thank you to the RockyTalky community - I have been searching tirelessly for an Emerald diamond and the replies to similar topics have been of great assistance and educated me as to what to look for in an Emerald.

I have been searching looking for a 2+ carat Emerald engagement ring. Ideally I would like the diamond to be eye clean an with a L/W ratio between 1.4.-1.5 and Excellent Symmetry and Polish. I have compromised a little on colour (would prefer D-F but have been told there won't be much difference at all to the naked eye). I plan to set the diamond in white gold with a plain rose gold band.

Thankfully, I recently found a diamond which meets a lot of my criteria:

Colour: G
Carat: 2.50
Clarity VVS2
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Fluorescence: None
Table: 63.0%
Depth: 67.3%
Girdle: Slightly Thick
Length: 9.40
Width: 6.58
L/W Ratio: 1.43

By the numbers, the diamond appears to be pretty good and looks to be quite "big" for its weight. After lots of reading, I found that the ASET for an Emerald is particularly important. I've just received the image today. Upon reviewing the ASET image, the gemmologist advised this diamond "has great light performance and a nice balance of brightness. Its G colour is white and its faces completely eye clean."

I am very interested to hear fellow posters' opinions as there are clearly people who know their stuff in this forum! Any advice/help is greatly appreciated. I think there is too much blue...

Thanks! :)

Adam

emerald1.jpg

TitanCi

Brilliant_Rock
Whoa! That looks cool. What a trip. Not an expert, but im gonna guess it looks ok, however all that blue (contrast) might be a problem? Im taking a guess here

iota15

Brilliant_Rock
To my eyes, this looks like a good one. Would it be more ideal if the blue were switched for the red - sure, but there's still enough patterning between the two for a really nice effect, I think.

Plus, the blue contrast bars, with strong overhead spotlights are going to make a fireball out of that stone.

Congratulations! Please post pictures when it's all done. We would love to see it.

iota15

Brilliant_Rock
I would love to see a real picture of it now, if you have one.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Blue is a problem.

I don't think it's a good choice.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Numbers are meaningless with Emerald Cuts.

Have you used all three ASETs at JA or do you have more remaining.

iota15

Brilliant_Rock
Actually yea, seeing the real video of the diamond. The blue is a problem. There's way too much of it.

I thought there was more balance between the blue and red, but there's definitely too much blue (contrast).

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
What is your budget? You do not need such high clarity. Eyeclean is usually VS2 or better in ECs.

Let me pick some stones for you.

I need to know how many ASETs you have left at JA.

Or if I need to recommend a different vendor to work with.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
iota15|1417580076|3794281 said:
Actually yea, seeing the real video of the diamond. The blue is a problem. There's way too much of it.

I thought there was more balance between the blue and red, but there's definitely too much blue (contrast).

Anytime you see blue like that... where it's a wall, gonna be bad. Just an FYI.

Have yet to see one prove me wrong.

Here's a thread that has other vendors commenting on that type of ASET (it's pretty funny actually): [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/why-so-much-blue-in-these-aset.201094/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/why-so-much-blue-in-these-aset.201094/[/URL]

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Of those the one on the right is nice. Please post the video.

TitanCi

Brilliant_Rock
Holy moly blacked out diamond (first one)!!!!

With the new ASETs, second looks best. The first of the two new ASETs has a lot of black, which is more than likely undesirable.

adam31

Rough_Rock
JA's gemmologist's opinion on the above diamond:

"Diamond 374824 doesn't sizzle in the centre quite as strongly (in comparison to the other two diamonds). It's the third brightest, appears eye clean, and has a white "G" colour.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
The gemologist looks at the stones in tweezers and holds them up to the light, where they are able to gather light from all around.

An ASET measures the light entering and leaving the diamond from the crown and table facets only. Face up. Similar to how you would need to know how the light performance of a set stone is.

When you set a diamond it cannot gather light from all around. And you don't wear a diamond in tweezers.

This is the reason why we most often rely on the ASETs over the gemolgists examination when it comes to James Allen.

This is an ongoing issue with we have with them.

adam31

Rough_Rock
That makes sense Gypsy, thank you for clarifying.

Would this stone be worth considering for purchase? Should I consider looking elsewhere?

Have to say I'm a little bit lost at the moment - thought I had found the one!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
What is your budget and what do you want for it.

adam31

Rough_Rock
Budget is $35k.

Looking for an Emerald above 2 carat.

I would like the diamond to be eye clean (ideally VS1 or above) with a L/W ratio between 1.4.-1.5 and Excellent Symmetry and Polish if possible.

I was originally after a D-F colour but I am willing to go to a G if the diamond fits the above criteria.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy,
The center of the one on the right looks a bit hazy in the video. Do you think it's dirty or caused by something else?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think he should ask the gemologist about that. Also I think he should request them to make an exception and release all the other stones but that one and ask them to take 2 more ASETs for him. I'll pick the two stones.

Budget is reasonable and good. I will hunt now.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

adam31

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much for looking Gypsy, I truly appreciate your efforts. All these diamonds look like potential options.

I'm just a little concerned about the clarity - is VS2 a little low? I'm nervous that inclusions will be noticeable considering the diamond size.

Below is the Sarin report for the SKU 374824, what do you think?

374824sarin_0.jpg

Thanks again!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good crown height.

All you need is eyeclean. Those all looked like they would be eyeclean to me or else I wouldn't have picked them for you.

The gemologist is the only person that can confirm that though.

adam31

Rough_Rock
Sure, that makes sense Gypsy.

I've also contacted Good Old Gold to see if they can source something for me as I read you had recommended them for EC's in a previous topic.

Have to say the more I look at the diamond above (the one with the Sarin) the more I like it.

Starting to look through the B2C Jewels so now so hopefully something catches my eye!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ask JA if they will make an exception and do ASETs of the others I picked for you.

adam31

Rough_Rock
Just requested ASETs of the two EC's you recommended then :)

I have released the two lower performing ASETs from hold and still have 374824 on hold.

Hopefully they can make an exception for me as I'm not willing to purchase anything without an ASET - will keep you updated.

Also, I had a look around the B2C Jewels and found a two which interest me. ASETS are on the way and I should be able to post them sometime tomorrow.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1417654567|3794807 said:
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/2.52-carat-g-color-si1-clarity-sku-386600 SI but looks to be clean.

I like this one but would toss it out due to the clarity. I think it may not be eye clean for someone who is eagle eyed; there's a fairly large "line" on the table towards the lower center which is also reflected to the upper top center.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results