shape
carat
color
clarity

Emerald Cut Opinion

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AzNWiLL5o4

Rough_Rock
Hi

I had written a month back about getting my future fiance an ER with an Emerald Cut Diamond.

The other jeweler was not able to provide me an ASET image or any other information about the diamond besides the GIA Report.

I had contacted another jeweler, a PS Vendor, and had acquire two emerald cut diamonds that has some potential and would like to get your feedback on it.

Diamond 1
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/7052/

Diamond 2
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/7053/

Do you think it has a good table/depth? How does the ASET image looks to you? Which one do you think is a GREAT buy?

Thanks for your help.

AzNWiLL5o4

Rough_Rock
Bump for suggestions and comments.

Thanks!

lightningbug

Shiny_Rock
Gracious, to my eye they''re both amazing: so classy and elegant. However, I don''t know anything about ECs and can''t comment on specs or value.

My eye is drawn a teensy bit more to the lively stone on the far left (the F VS1, I believe). It''s got a little magic. :) However, the one on the far right is also very beautiful, and to me it faces up a bit larger.

AzNWiLL5o4

Rough_Rock
Thankyou lightningbug for your reply.

Yes! That is why it is so hard for me to choose and make up my mind. You should see the video that GOG send me. It is simply amazing. If you would like to see it, let me know and I will post the link for you.

I wonder if there would be any difference in going to an E color with a VVS1.

pancake

Brilliant_Rock
In both the photos and the video, I like the E VS2 - I like the facet patterns slightly more than the F VS1.

I don''t think you will see any difference going up to VVS clarity. I have an E VS2 which is a little smaller than yours (it''s 1.2ct, 7.3ish x 5.2ish) and I cannot see the inclusions EVER.

Cinna

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/3/2010 7:02:50 PM
Author: AzNWiLL5o4
Thankyou lightningbug for your reply.

Yes! That is why it is so hard for me to choose and make up my mind. You should see the video that GOG send me. It is simply amazing. If you would like to see it, let me know and I will post the link for you.

I wonder if there would be any difference in going to an E color with a VVS1.

I would love to see it!
9.gif

pancake

Brilliant_Rock
The vid is in the second GOG link to the 1.56 E VS2.

Cinna

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/3/2010 7:22:31 PM
Author: pancake
The vid is in the second GOG link to the 1.56 E VS2.

Oh, I had thought you meant there was a separate video they sent.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love that 1.56 E. I like the facet pattern quite a lot.

As the owner of a VVS2 Asscher, I feel it''s somewhat unnecessary and if I were doing it again, I''d focus on ct. weight over clarity and not go higher than a VS2.

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
I like the 1.56 patterning and the corners best.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Another vote for the 1.56 E. The facet pattern appeals to me a lot! But both look killer in the video.

AzNWiLL5o4

Rough_Rock
http://www.vimeo.com/9868341

Link to video if you can''t find it.

As far as the facet patterns goes, 1.56 E is the winner.

What do you think of the ASET images as it relates to fire and light leakage?

Thankyou everyone for your inputs!

pancake

Brilliant_Rock
The 1.56 was my preferred of the two before I saw the video. I like the alternating bands of light and dark on the ASET. The vendor who sold my EC to me had me hooked when he described the stone - now mine, but at that stage not yet seen by me - as appearing like "Venetian blinds", and I think that is the appearance that this 1.56 will have too.

The video absolutely confirmed what I thought I'd seen in the photos. You can't see fire in an ASET, but you can certainly see it in the video. I actually think that the ASET becomes irrelevant once you have seen the stone performing in person or in video (unless the lighting conditions are weird in the latter).

Lestat

Shiny_Rock
Personally, I don''t like the patterning of the 1.50 as much as the 1.56, something looks off, maybe symmetry? I also think the crown heights of both could be better, it would be nice to get them above 12% if possible for better fire but I''ve read that 10% and up is acceptable in certain cases. As far as the ASET images go, I''ve read that green centers need to be judged in person, but generally it''s best to have red in the center. Here''s an article from Karl about P3 facets that may be of interest:

http://journal.pricescope.com/Articles/60/1/Performance-and-the-p3-facets%2c-a-discussion-about-step-cut-diamonds.aspx

Sorry I''m not much help deciding between the two stones, I think I''d keep looking if it was me, but I''d probably ask for Karl''s opinion if he''s comfortable giving in on one of GOG''s stones.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/3/2010 2:56:24 PM
Author:AzNWiLL5o4
Hi

I had written a month back about getting my future fiance an ER with an Emerald Cut Diamond.

The other jeweler was not able to provide me an ASET image or any other information about the diamond besides the GIA Report.

I had contacted another jeweler, a PS Vendor, and had acquire two emerald cut diamonds that has some potential and would like to get your feedback on it.

Diamond 1

Diamond 2

Do you think it has a good table/depth? How does the ASET image looks to you? Which one do you think is a GREAT buy?

Thanks for your help.
Hi Will

Ask Jon if the blue areas showing in the ASET of the second diamond are dark in reality or if they light up in normal viewing conditions.

AzNWiLL5o4

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/4/2010 2:32:32 AM
Author: Lorelei
Date: 3/3/2010 2:56:24 PM

Author:AzNWiLL5o4

Hi

Diamond 1

Diamond 2

Thanks for your help.

Hi Will

Ask Jon if the blue areas showing in the ASET of the second diamond are dark in reality or if they light up in normal viewing conditions.

Thanks for everyone''s responds.

Lorelei: I had send him an email about the blue areas. I will post what he says when I get an update. Thanks again!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/4/2010 2:25:49 AM
Author: Lestat

but I''d probably ask for Karl''s opinion if he''s comfortable giving in on one of GOG''s stones.
If I''m asked and the person knows I have a business relationship with gog or I see an error and it isn''t about Octavia I can help.

with that said they are both classic EC''s which means large tables and fairly low crowns, lots of large events but little to no small and med events.
They arent as lively as more modern ones with smaller tables and higher crowns but some people love them.
The videos give a good picture of how they perform, lots of large events with fairly large movements.

AzNWiLL5o4

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/4/2010 11:58:34 AM
Author: Karl_K
Date: 3/4/2010 2:25:49 AM

Author: Lestat

but I'd probably ask for Karl's opinion if he's comfortable giving in on one of GOG's stones.

If I'm asked and the person knows I have a business relationship with gog or I see an error and it isn't about Octavia I can help.

with that said they are both classic EC's which means large tables and fairly low crowns, lots of large events but little to no small and med events.

They arent as lively as more modern ones with smaller tables and higher crowns but some people love them.

The videos give a good picture of how they perform, lots of large events with fairly large movements.

Hi Karl,

Thankyou for your responds. I don't mind taking suggestions from either parties rather its GOG or a partner or whatsoever as I highly respect their opinions and passion they have in the line of work that they do.

Karl: If you where in my shoes, would you pick anyone of this? The setting that I plan on putting this Emerald Cut in is a Jeff Cooper R3100.

http://www.jeffcooperdesigns.com/item.php?id=147

I know the link above is for an R3101, but its exactly the same except for the side stone sizes.

By the way, GOG is offering me GREAT customer service and is very helpful with everything I asked for. Its just that this is a fairly large purchase for me as I am still in my last year of college and I just want to make sure I have the best for my future fiance. I guess its more like a boost of confidence to make sure I am purchasing the best diamond I can for the best price with no regrets in the future.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have a preference to the more modern style so no I would not be interested in these 2.
But they are excellent examples of the type and if they speak to you then select the one you like best.
I comes down to personal preference.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results