shape
carat
color
clarity

Emerald Cut Diamonds - I Need Your Advice

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

orange_horse

Rough_Rock
I am planning to get engaged in the near future. My girlfriend says that emerald cut diamonds are her favorite. Based on that, I have begun to explore my options. Please let me know your opinions on any of the following topics:

(a) I am looking for a 3+ carat, D-F in color, IF - VVS2. For me, this is an expensive stone as I figure it will be somewhere in the $30 - $40k range. I''m wondering if it is an impressive stone, and if so, why?

(b) How traditional is this stone?

(c) Are emerald cut diamonds as "brilliant" in the way that they reflect light as other shapes of diamonds and is there anyway that I can help ensure that the diamond I choose is a real "attention getter" instead of a dull rock.

(d) At least one vendor has stated that this stone might chip over time due to a reduced number of facets. Although I am hoping to I''ll never have to worry about the diamond''s resale value, is chipping something that I need to have increased concerns about with for this type of diamond?

(e) Does any one have any other tips that need to be considered when purchasing this type of diamond?

Thanks a Million!!!
Orange Horse

jenwill

Brilliant_Rock
I'll give it my two cents...

a) Heck yeah it'll be impressive!

b) While the emerald cut isn't one of the oldest cuts, I would say that it is a very traditional cut.

c) Emeralds will not be as 'brilliant' as some of the round cuts, due to the fact that it doesn't have as many facets to refract/reflect the light. It can be plenty sparkly in its own subdued way- I personally love the cut, even if it isn't as twinkly as some others. To ensure you get the most 'ideal' cut, which will give you the most light return, I woudl reccommend you do some research on this site and perhaps GOG (Good Old GOld) for specs to looks for. Also, when you have narrowed it down some, post possible candidates and people here are very good about giving feedback.

d) I am personally not sure about chipping. I do know that if it has a thin girdle, or a very exposed girdle (which it would probably have with a stone this size)then the girdle might be more prone to chipping. But this is true of all diamonds- seems that the girdle is the most exposed, therefore the most vulnerable. On an emerald cut, most of the facets will be under the girdle, which will be protected- so I don't really see where this would make it more prone to chipping.

e) My only advice is to read on this site, search the forums for emerald cut info, and post anymore questions you have.

Best of luck!

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
A) Impressive? Heck yeah! If you're worried about price you might think about going as low as VS2, depending on how noticable the inclusions might be on a particular stone.

B)It's very traditional. Very classic. Very elegant. Especially with a 3+ carat you'll get a lot of visual impact without ever looking gaudy--which can be a possibility with some larger brilliant cuts.

C)It's never going to be as brilliant but it has a beauty all it's own. See "B" above. It's an Audrey Hepburn vs. Marilyn Monroe. Gorgeous in a completely different way. To get a good EC, start by looking at the AGA cut chart: http://diamonds.pricescope.com/fnc2.asp. The only caveat is that with a fancy shape you can't always tell if it's going to be a looker just by the stats alone. Still, it's a good place to start. Crown height, IMO, is especially important.

D) Huh? I've heard that princesses and marquises are more prone due those points, but this is the first I've heard of this rationale. Just make sure you don't have an extremely thin girdle and your chances of chipping are as good as any other shape.

E) I think you've got the basics covered. The only other thing is: it doesn't hurt to enlist the help of a jeweler who knows the difference between a gorgeous and mediocre EC. Oh, and line up an appraiser.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 9/7/2004 6:35:44 PM orange_horse wrote:

(a) I am looking for a 3+ carat, D-F in color, IF - VVS2. For me, this is an expensive stone as I figure it will be somewhere in the $30 - $40k range. I'm wondering if it is an impressive stone, and if so, why?

----------------

Why impressive... the price, of course! Few mortals will ever be able to tell this from any other decently colorless (say two grade lower) and eye clean (whatever that means in GIA terms).

So an equally nice cut a bit cheaper and larger may catch the eye more in the end
read.gif

I definitely love step cuts over all others - and I would be looking at the proportions and brilliance of the stone first. It makes no sense to go for such high grades and not for a fine cut, IMO
1.gif

Another thing... emerald cuts vary so much in proportions, that a 2 carat and a 3 carat may end up the same size! It makes some sense to look for their actual size (millimeters, not carats) and brilliance rather than precise weight. If a third of the weight can be "hidden" by cut, imagine what difference a few dozen points here and there can make
eek.gif
they do to cost though - if it matters.

You may find the pricing of these goods quite interesting - but there seem to be few rules one can understand from the other side of the counter. For example, if you do run a search for emerald cut diamonds of D/F color, VVS1/2 clarity and 3-3.5 carat size, you will get listings between 9k and 18k per carat - definitely a serious range. Some stones would be discounted for their cut (say, 80% depth is not very desirable) or medium-strong fluorescence - but the two extreme prices did not reflect this.

Above I was trying to argue that G VS1/2 would look just as fine. Prices? Anywhere between 9k and 12k per carat. So... it will only take shopping around to obtain several choices of fabulous cut anywhere between D-G, VVS1-VS2 that most would judge a safe bet.

This is obviously going to be one exciting project and delightful to follow up with
2.gif

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
How about this one:

http://www.uniondiamond.com/diamonds/diamond_details.php?lot=2646891

mostlywatching

Rough_Rock
Try looking HERE

I posted a bit about my EC buying experience. My biggest challenge was length to width ratio. Cut is very very important in getting a really nice looking EC.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results