shape
carat
color
clarity

Emerald 1.38 F-VVS2 Opinions

mike734

Rough_Rock
I think I've found the stone that I want to give as an engagement ring. It's a 1.38 F VVS2 Emerald cut, depth 63, table 66, 7.87x5.61x3.53. The jeweler is quoting me $8k for it. Can anyone make any opinions on if this is a reasonable deal or not. The crown height is 9.9% (measured by jeweler's Sarin) the crown angle is 38.9 and pavilion angle is 46.9. Thin-Thick girdle, small culet, good sym, good polish. It looks beautiful to me and it seems lower than any prices on Pricescope search. GIA certified by the way. I know the VVS2 is probably unnecessary but I'm figuring it's a fringe benefit of a nice deal. I can't even find this price for a VS2 stone of comparable size.

Thanks for any info folks,
Mike

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
do you have a picture? hard to tell without one...

majes888

Rough_Rock
Whats the cut quality? It sounds like the dimensions are a bit off.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
majes888|1361686894|3389124 said:
Whats the cut quality? It sounds like the dimensions are a bit off.

GIA doesn't offer a cut grade for fancies. The only way to evaluate its performance is with an ASET, unless of course you are experienced enough to feel comfortable assessing it with your own eyes.

mike734

Rough_Rock
I've seen that table and the way I interpret it my stone would be a class 1B cut. I can't upload the photo right now on my iPhone but based off of the presented dimensions it seems like a high quality cut to me. Anything to watch out for with emeralds?

mike734

Rough_Rock
Also is it a problem if the 3rd pavilion facet is cut only 60% of the way to the culet? The rest is just straight corner not a facet, if that makes sense.

mike734

Rough_Rock
Here's a shot of the stone. Unfortunately I don't have any ASET image. I'll upload the Sarin though. Thanks everyone for any input.

fvvs2_2.jpg

mike734

Rough_Rock
Here's the Sarin

fvvs2_sarin.png

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
its a good price for a so so stone. i dont like the low crown at 9.9. the good/good for polish and symmetry doesnt bother me at all for an EC but I dont like paying for VVS. you can search and find many stones with better cut in the same price range if you go down in clarity

mike734

Rough_Rock
I agree the VVS isn't necessary but it seems that even at VS2 I couldn't seem to find a stone with these dimensions for the same price. Besides the crown height, what else could be improved about the cut? I want to know what else to look for. Thank you very much

mike734

Rough_Rock
Thank you for that link, much appreciated. I would really prefer a stone with G color or better. I thought the table was reasonable based on the David Atlas grading table. Although I've heard things that the table has to be smaller than the depth, but the AGA table doesn't seem to indicate that. Thanks again though.

What else might be the issue with the cut of this stone and what should I be looking for? Thank you,
Mike

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So Solomon Brothers is local to you?

And you picked this one as your favorite out of how many?

mike734

Rough_Rock
No, I found this online through Solomon Brothers. I'm slightly confused, besides the crown height being slightly under, what other concerns are there with this stone?

Thank you,
Mike

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So you haven't seen it in person. I was under the impression that you had. I wouldn't pick a stone based on it being the cheapest one for its characteristics...

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
mike734|1361804640|3389900 said:
Thank you for that link, much appreciated. I would really prefer a stone with G color or better. I thought the table was reasonable based on the David Atlas grading table. Although I've heard things that the table has to be smaller than the depth, but the AGA table doesn't seem to indicate that. Thanks again though.

What else might be the issue with the cut of this stone and what should I be looking for? Thank you,
Mike

I wouldn't rule it out from a 66% table size, mine has 67% and I chose it after seeing dozens and it is a spectacular stone!

It is so difficult to choose a well performing emerald without seeing it in person & comparing to others. If I were you, I would ask Good Old Gold to bring in some to compare for you, Jon has a really good eye for step cuts! They even do videos of your options.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just because the stats of the stone fits into the 1A or 1B group does not guarantee a well cut stone. I use the same parameters to weed out most of the yucky ones online, then proceed from there. Even in my smaller group, there are many ECs with darkness and leakage once I see the picture of the actual stone. The point I'm trying to say is "don't buy sight unseen". It is impossible to buy fancies by the numbers.

mike734

Rough_Rock
I agree that without seeing you know very little. I had a jeweler recently show me a lineup of 10 stones and the differences were very noticeable.

I have this stone in my possession now. It has a very nice flash to it even indoors and I haven't seen it in full sunlight yet, but I imagine it can only get better. When I rotate it in my hands its plays with the light really nicely to my rookie eye. It's one of the nicest emeralds I've seen as it doesn't have the ice cube or plain white look to it.

I don't if it matter but I put my finger beneath the stone to see if I could see it and I couldn't. Does this mean there's not light leaking through? I took it to my jeweler and he liked it and didn't try to ell me a different one.

I was wondering though, assuming it's a satisfactory cut, is this a decent price for this stone? It had the nicest dimensions of any other stone in this carat weight class.

Thank you all for the insight and advice.

Mike

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Mike... would love to see pictures.. if you can post them... What style setting are you planning? :naughty:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not being able to see your finger underneath doesn't mean it has no leakage. Does it have dark banding or steps that seem to stay dark? Any zebra stripes? Those are leakage areas. Do the steps walk or light up across the stone as you rotate it slowly?

mike734

Rough_Rock
I'll be sure to check for that when I take a look at it today. That was something I wanted to ask. Aside from measurements and grading what do you folks do to see how the stone performs. What should I be looking for on an emerald cut?

The setting is going to be have small graduated baguettes that get larger near the prongs, lined with small pave stones on the outside of the baguettes. The thing my girlfriends loved about this was that it's not a large clunky ring but it still manages to have a lot of things happening. The setting quickly tapers from probably 6 or 5 mm near the center stone down to a 2 mm band. I'll post a pic as soon as I can.

Thanks again for the great advice. This site is such a blessing to find.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A well cut EC should be bright all across the crown with little to no dark areas. The steps should walk across the stone as it is rotated very slowly from side to side (the narrow side is turned). Look at it away from the store lights as those special lights can make even gravel sparkle. :tongue: Ask if you can view it by the window and fluorescent lights to do the same test.

mike734

Rough_Rock
Thanks Chrono. I'll take a good look at it today at lunch. I bought the stone online so it's my stone now. I wish I had one of those finger grabbing things that they use to show you stones in the stores.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
mike734|1361884017|3390759 said:
I'll be sure to check for that when I take a look at it today. That was something I wanted to ask. Aside from measurements and grading what do you folks do to see how the stone performs. What should I be looking for on an emerald cut?

The setting is going to be have small graduated baguettes that get larger near the prongs, lined with small pave stones on the outside of the baguettes. The thing my girlfriends loved about this was that it's not a large clunky ring but it still manages to have a lot of things happening. The setting quickly tapers from probably 6 or 5 mm near the center stone down to a 2 mm band. I'll post a pic as soon as I can.

Thanks again for the great advice. This site is such a blessing to find.

Sound wonderful. Please come back and share when it's done!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results