shape
carat
color
clarity

Electric blue topaz or zircon

Eady

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I've been reading these forums for a while but this is my first post.

One project I'm working on is a ring centered around a round electric blue topaz stone. However I've having trouble finding one!

I'm looking for a stone that is approx 8-10mm.

I jumped the gun and had a design made up which I absolutely love, so if I can't find a topaz, I was thinking that perhaps a blue zircon may also do the trick. It's a cocktail ring so I won't be wearing it every day.

Has anyone come across either of these stones? I've trawled through the list of recommended vendors and mastercutgems seems to have a couple, but I'd like to see if there is anything else out there. My budget would be around 500 or so for the stone.

Thanks!!

Eady

Rough_Rock
I knew there was someone I missed! Thank you! They're lovely stones. The topaz is a little too light - I'm after something deeper and more glowy. The eBay zircon could be the one. It has the colour I'm after. Just a little over my budget though so I'll need to think it over...

TheElms

Shiny_Rock
I knew there was someone I missed! Thank you! They're lovely stones. The topaz is a little too light - I'm after something deeper and more glowy. The eBay zircon could be the one. It has the colour I'm after. Just a little over my budget though so I'll need to think it over...

Also please do your homework on the way Jeff's stones photograph. Sometimes folks are very happy, sometimes less so. Often his stones appear darker in person.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Zircon has to be cut quite deep, to avoid windowing. So a 8-10 mm zircon is going to be a big stone (like arround 5 ct). Unfortunately from what I can see, most people want more than $100 per ct.

Loupetroop might be a good bet,

https://loupetroop.com/listings/loose-stones-colored-gemstone/blue-zircon-5-dot-10-carat

But you would want to check whether all sales a final.

I would also check concavegems and bespokegems for topaz.

I hope your design can accomodate a really deep stone? It may have to sit a long way above your finger.

Eady

Rough_Rock
Thanks TheElms & qubitasaurus.

It's a dress/cocktail ring so I would likely wear it at night or at events rather than everyday, so I don't mind it sitting a bit high, but design wise I'd have to check with the designer before pulling the trigger on a stone just in case the height messes anything up (it's a cluster type ring with the topaz/zircon at the centre)

I've reached out to concave gems. My original plan was to have Doug at bespoke cut the stone for me, but it turned out lighter than we had hoped and he wasn't able to source any more electric rough ☹️

Thanks again!

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Zircon has a very high specific gravity, so it's a heavy stone for it's size. It isn't a matter of needing to be cut deep, actually it's the opposite, as zircon has a high refractive index, it can be cut more shallow on the pavilion than most other colored stones. The reason that a zircon is heavy for it's diameter is the specific gravity. Topaz has a lower RI and needs to be deeper than zircon to avoid windowing.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you :), that actually makes a lot of sense when I think about it.

Eady

Rough_Rock
The ring is finished!! I've been holding out to update until I had the ring in my hands, but that won't be for a while (it's with family at the moment on the other side of the world!) so I thought I'd post photos to say thanks to everyone for your help!

Richard from concave gems ended up cutting me a beautiful topaz:

7914BTpz FaceUp.jpg
7914BTpz Profile View.jpg

And the amazing jeweller set it into this ring:

image1.JPG
I only have one shot on my sisters hand:
IMG_0244.JPG

I love how it turned out. Thanks everyone again for your help. I do eventually want to get a zircon to set, that will be a future project!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a beautiful ring. Congrats!
I love the stunning concave cutting for this stone, the vibrant colour and the amazing design of the ring. Looking forward to admire more pics once you have received your ring.

lazysaturday

Rough_Rock
Hi, I love the final ring and how different it is, it's gorgeous! Did you mention what the stones surrounding the center topaz are?

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love the new ring. It's so unique! :love:
I've always wanted a concave setting. They look so cool. Your topaz is beautiful. I can't wait to see more pics, once you actually have it. :lickout:

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stunning ring! :love: I love the concave cut of the topaz and the unique and feminine setting. Well done!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So cool! Topaz was the right choice

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a gorgeous ring this turned out to be. Love the concave cut, too.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats beautiful stone!!!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A stunner, congratulations!

Eady

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for the comments!!

@lazysaturday all the little stones are topaz as well

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, Eady, that turned out great! It reminds me of something cosmic, like a solar flare or a comet. I really love the non static, asymmetry of the design. It makes it visually very interesting.

Eady

Rough_Rock
Thanks @Bluegemz !

Just realised I never gave proper credit to the jeweller - Carla Maxine, the ring was a slightly modified version of her hybrid design. Lovely experience working with her!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Beautiful with a capital B
the best halo ive ever seen
i cocktail rings are my thing

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very unique beautiful ring. I love the asymmetrical design!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks @T L and @Daisys and Diamonds ! That reminds me to take it out for a wear tomorrow. It’s been a bit neglected lately!
at the risk of seeming like a crazed foreign stalker i just have to check out that besutiful ring again
just to make sure i want dreaming last night (mind you that was impossible with the noise from the party over the back fence ...which was how come i was checking out all the pretties in this place in the wee wee hours ...totally worth it to discover electric topaz:lickout:
thanks for the education

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results