shape
carat
color
clarity

Eightstar and ACA as earrings

diamondsareagirls

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I am thinking of turning my .72 carat Eightstar diamond into an earrring. My engagement ring diamond is an ACA and so is my 5 stone so I have come to really love them and the price is much better than eightstar. So I want to buy a matching ACA set as an earring. Silly question, but is there going to be any obvious difference when wearing together?

Also, my eightstar is an I. Do I have to match that color exactly? Are inclusions less important in earrings? Could I do something like a J or K Si1 or 2?

Thank you!

Reactions: AV_

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You should be able to match an ACA to your eightstar. Both brands sell really well cut round stones. I would match within one color difference and look for similar measurements.

Can you post your existing report? We can help you find a match.

diamondsareagirls

Shiny_Rock
Premium
It's 5.76 x 5.91 x 3.54 MM

55% table
Depth 61.2%
34.8 crown
pavilion 42.8%

That is my loose Eightstar diamond. .72 ct, I color.

Thank you!

Reactions: AV_

diamondsareagirls

Shiny_Rock
Premium
How much MM size difference is ok between earrings and should I try to match the 5.7 or the 5.9 or look for a 5.8 in the middle!

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The Eightstar cut is characterized by a heavily-painted crown. For more on crown painting and its visual effects on MRBs, see: https://www.pricescope.com/articles/visible_effects_painting_digging_superideal_diamonds

Basically, high degrees (7-8 degrees) of crown painting will result in an even brighter diamond (more brilliance) at the expense of contrast and on-off scintillation. WF actually experimented with heavy crown painting a few years ago in their ACA "New line," but that was quickly discontinued.

Would you be able to tell the difference between an Eightstar and an ACA? Perhaps if you looked closely. But I think it would be okay for studs, where people aren't going to be scrutinizing the performance of the individual stones. :)

diamondsareagirls

Shiny_Rock
Premium
The Eightstar cut is characterized by a heavily-painted crown. For more on crown painting and its visual effects on MRBs, see: https://www.pricescope.com/articles/visible_effects_painting_digging_superideal_diamonds

Basically, high degrees (7-8 degrees) of crown painting will result in an even brighter diamond (more brilliance) at the expense of contrast and on-off scintillation. WF actually experimented with heavy crown painting a few years ago in their ACA "New line," but that was quickly discontinued.

Would you be able to tell the difference between an Eightstar and an ACA? Perhaps if you looked closely. But I think it would be okay for studs, where people aren't going to be scrutinizing the performance of the individual stones. :)

I get a lot of colors or I guess "fire" off the eightstar. Is that the crown painting? Is there a way too tell how much it has?

How close in MM do I need to stay and to which number? The 5.76 or 5.91 mm number?

Can a K and I be in opposite ears as it's mostly a top view?

Looking at these ACAs in similar ct weight makes me realize how $$$ the Eightstar was! I have an ACA diamond in a 1.60 so have never compared apples to apples before. So I am trying not to have the world's most expensive pair of low color earrings by economizing at least the second stone as much as possible.

Thank you!

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
I have an I and a K colored stone as earrings, and I really can’t tell them apart. I also don’t think the dimensions are the same since one is .646 carats and the other is .631 carats, but they are close enough. No one has ever said to me that my earrings are mismatched! Here’s a not so great pic of them together, but it gives you the general idea.

a 2D6F64E5-2677-4386-B711-FC48E2BA576B.jpeg

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I am thinking of turning my .72 carat Eightstar diamond into an earrring. My engagement ring diamond is an ACA and so is my 5 stone so I have come to really love them and the price is much better than eightstar. So I want to buy a matching ACA set as an earring. Silly question, but is there going to be any obvious difference when wearing together?

Also, my eightstar is an I. Do I have to match that color exactly? Are inclusions less important in earrings? Could I do something like a J or K Si1 or 2?

Thank you!
@diamondsareagirls ,
We should be able to find you a good match. It would be helpful to have your Eightstar in hand to do the matching.
As @TreeScientist mentioned, Eightstar is a style of super ideal that used non-standard indexing to remove almost all light leakage, making the stones a little brighter. The cutting technique results in crown painting, or angling the upper girdle facets toward the main facets by a few extra degrees. As Tree also mentioned, Whiteflash did have our own version of this 'flavor' but we no longer cut them. There are some people who feel like the small amount of brightness gained is not worth the contrast lost in this special cutting process.

It is debatable whether you would be able to see the difference if you have the two side by side. It is very subtle. And in earrings the stones will be viewed individually so differences would be even harder to discern.
Here is more on painting and digging:
https://www.whiteflash.com/about-diamonds/diamond-education/what-is-diamond-brillianteering-1616.htm

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Do you have the Lower Girdle Facet % on the report of the Eight Star?

If I were to overdo the matching, I would take this number into consideration (exaggerating somewhat - 5% difference gives a slight change of flavor, more than the 'painting' discussed), match color, fluorescence (existence, not degree) & let clarity slip - eg. I, I1/SI2

Just a thought

diamondsareagirls

Shiny_Rock
Premium
48CA1C00-0CEA-4895-9DBC-000E83491F0D.jpeg 7238DA30-BD14-4AEC-818B-A8C2DA61797D.jpeg
Do you have the Lower Girdle Facet % on the report of the Eight Star?

If I were to overdo the matching, I would take this number into consideration (exaggerating somewhat - 5% difference gives a slight change of flavor, more than the 'painting' discussed), match color, fluorescence (existence, not degree) & let clarity slip - eg. I, I1/SI2

Just a thought

This is what I have on it!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 17

AV_

Ideal_Rock
No LGF... GIA mentions a number.

It is no big deal. I believe that both Eight Star and ACA keep this number near a tame 75%, so there is little chance for a distinctly different flavor (70% would have a family resemblance with @dreamer_dachsie 's early ideal; over 80% - is not mentioned much for good reason!)

diamondsareagirls

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I have an I and a K colored stone as earrings, and I really can’t tell them apart. I also don’t think the dimensions are the same since one is .646 carats and the other is .631 carats, but they are close enough. No one has ever said to me that my earrings are mismatched! Here’s a not so great pic of them together, but it gives you the general idea.

a 2D6F64E5-2677-4386-B711-FC48E2BA576B.jpeg

That gives me so much hope. Would any of these K's be a good match?

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4062223.htm
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3994056.htm

I am still confused about what size to stay try to stay closest to - the 5.76 or 5.91 part of my diamond's measurement!

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have ACA studs that are J and K since that's what they had at the time. I planned to upgrade the K to match but since I struggle to tell them apart, I thought it would just be a waste of time and money. Guess I'm not a true pser when it comes to some things. I do love my studs though! :lol::lol::lol:

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
I think if you stay anywhere between 5.76 mm and 5.91 mm you should be fine. Some people try to match table sizes as well, but I personally am not that picky. I think you should order one of the diamonds you like to see how it compares to yours in person.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd try to match the mid-range of the diameter, so 5.8-5.85. I'd take Bryan Boyne's advice to let them do the matching since the cut is a little different. Send your stone to them and they can show you photos of your stone next to the best candidates.

I think it is generally best to keep the color the same, but yes, you can go down in clarity as long as the stone is eyeclean. I color stones face up pretty white and many people can begin to see tint at J color and lower, so if you really want to drop the color grade, I'd recommend staying within one grade if both stones are graded by the same lab. If your stone is GIA I color, then I'd look at I color ACAs. If your stone is AGS I color, I'd look at I-J and aim for a high J color.

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
I am still confused about what size to stay try to stay closest to - the 5.76 or 5.91 part of my diamond's measurement!
I would heed @Texas Leaguer and let them have the Eightstar in hand so they can give you the best possible visual match. Their experts will be able to provide you with images and videos so you can confirm their selection, and if you don't agree in person, you can always switch it out for something else. Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to let their staff help you choose.

diamondsareagirls

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I would heed @Texas Leaguer and let them have the Eightstar in hand so they can give you the best possible visual match. Their experts will be able to provide you with images and videos so you can confirm their selection, and if you don't agree in person, you can always switch it out for something else. Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to let their staff help you choose.

That is what I will do! Now I see what Texas Leaguer meant by having the diamond in hand - WF hand, not my hand lol. ! I didn't realize he/she worked for WF.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Texas Leaguer
Bryan Boyne, GG (GIA), CG (AGS)
Vice President- Whiteflash Inc.

VP and a nice guy to boot!

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes send to wf and pick from their options.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results