shape
carat
color
clarity

EGL?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ace

Rough_Rock
I am planning to buy my diamond online. I was looking for only GIA stones, but have come across some EGL diamonds. My questions are- Is it risky to buy an EGL stone unseen? Do they differ much from GIA stones? Should I just only get GIA? Also, Has anybody heard of or done business with Union Diamond?

Thanks

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Ace and welcome
35.gif
Ok , GIA labs are the industry standard and widely accepted as the most accurate graders. Therefore you will pay more for a diamond carrying a GIA cert. Many believe that EGL can be loose on colour and clarity grading by up two 2 grades, however EGl USA are the most reliable out of the EGL labs. Apparently EGL's Israel and Antwerp are not always accurate in their grading, so many say it is best to avoid these. What does all this mean for the consumer? The purchaser who wants the best verification that the diamond he is buying is what it is sold as might prefer the GIA cert, also to help protect his investment should he decide to sell it or upgrade in the future. The buyer like me who prefers a bigger rock and would rather have increased size , still with a cert though albeit one which is possibly not as accurate, would maybe choose the EGL USA graded diamond and enjoy the price saving.

If you do a search using the above tool, you will see that EGl diamonds are considerably cheaper. I would say however, whichever grading lab you choose, get an independant appraisal during the return period to verify the diamond is what it is sold as. Is it risky to buy an EGl stone unseen? Not so much if you realize that the colour and clarity grading might be a grade or so off, if an advertized F VS2 turns out to be appraised as an G SI1 and that is not acceptable to you then it might be best to go for GIA only. However if you love the stone and that doesn't matter then great, enjoy the rock and the saving. EGL diamonds don't differ from GIA stones per se - only that the grading few would argue with in a GIA. It is cut that makes a diamond beautiful regardless who graded it, EGL has an advantage at the moment in as much as they provide measurements to calculate cut quality. GIA is the certificate of choice for most diamond buyers, that way they know they get exactly what they pay for. Hope this helps.

I bought an EGL USA diamond unseen online. Am I glad I did? You bet
3.gif

ace

Rough_Rock
Thank you, very helpful

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
I think Lorelei''s answer is insightful, and with time and some patience in hand, a trusted vendor you''re working with who will help you understand the answers to your possibly tough questions (why would the diamond holder have sent that particular stone to EGL for grading, when an ostensibly higher price could have been gotten elsewhere), this is a very reasonable strategy. One caveat:

Date: 11/20/2005 3:14:38 AM
Author: Lorelei

It is cut that makes a diamond beautiful regardless who graded it, EGL has an advantage at the moment in as much as they provide measurements to calculate cut quality. GIA is the certificate of choice for most diamond buyers, that way they know they get exactly what they pay for. Hope this helps.
AGS is really the cert of choice not only coming with measurements widely regarded as most useful, but their newer certs have additional, and valued measurement of light performance. You''ll pay more for this.

Garry, author of the HCA, advises double checking % data presented with EGL certs, since its rounding will not allow you to get the degree of trust you''ll want to have if you''ll do cut analysis with rigor (you''ll want ideally angle info, trumping % info.). Since experts argue over the substantial value of tenths of percent in the evaluation of cut, I''ve come to take this advice literally, and would also include in the measure of the concern the quality of the devices used for measuring the proportion info on the diamond (and as a result, would prefer to have at least non-sarin and helium measurements, like ogi, double checked, as well).

Also, though, experts will also tell you get an idealscope and you''re good to go. So be careful what and who you read, present company included.

Warm regards!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes Ira is right regarding the AGS certs and also the point that if a diamond is sent to EGl for grading - why? Because possibly they might give it a higher grade than GIA for example. It all depends on what is most important to you , remember you are many jumps ahead of the average diamond buyer by coming here and doing your research. There is a lot of info and choices to
make, whether you prefer to pay the premium for the industry standards or look at some EGl diamonds which may be beautiful but possibly not graded as accurately or as strictly as GIA for example. I have read here that EGL USA has tightened their standards during the last year so if you see an EGl diamond you like, get an independant appraisal to verify before commiting. I am of the school of thought that I would rather have a larger certified diamond for my money, for me in the size I wanted was a huge price difference between EGl and GIA cert, so that was the best way for me and I am happy I did it. You might feel differently however, it is nice that there are options so the consumer can prioritise. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results