shape
carat
color
clarity

EGL

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dendon

Shiny_Rock
Has anyone heard of the new sealing that EGL is going to use to protect their stones against fraud? If so, how would this work? Sounds like it would be an interesting process.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Denise, welcome to the forum.

All I know is the press release: "EGL in Israel is purchasing a new system that will allow it to seal diamonds it receives for grading in clear polyester. The seal will carry a sticker with the certificate''s details. The company says the new system provides an assurance that the graded diamond has not been replaced."

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Shades of 1979.

Trust EGL Israel to be the lab to drag this idea back up again. Makes it that much tougher to critique their grading.

I doubt you'll find the US EGL labs following suit.

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/17/2005 8:41:29 PM
Author: Richard Sherwood
Shades of 1979.

Trust EGL Israel to be the lab to drag this idea back up again. Makes it that much tougher to critique their grading.

I doubt you''ll find the US EGL labs following suit.

YUP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Once they''re sealed - then how do you observe anything other than what is on EGL''s report....

You''re so right Richard... now why would anyone want to go backwards????

DUH!

Rockdoc

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
You can bet we will see a lot of these stones here in Europe. Over here, sealing diamonds is a very common practice... The two main labs, IGI and HRD do offer a sealing service, and I think EGL antwerp
32.gif
does as well.
Link: http://www.antwerpdiamonds.be/diamonds-cert1.JPG

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
When you seal a properly graded stone it is all well and good. When you seal a poorly graded diamond just to prevent checking on the grade, then it is indeed a step backward. Sealing can prevent fraud, but not if the fraud is in the original grading.

If a lab grades badly, then a seal is worthless. What EGL Israel does or doesn''t do has little effect on their credibility among dealers.

It is a nice marketing strategy.

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
Plus,
what happens if you wnat to actually wear your diamond?
DO you mount the sealed diamond in a ring?

At some point, a consumer has to trust someone with ( or about) their diamond.

I''m in total agreement that sealed diamonds are a bad idea

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results