shape
carat
color
clarity

EGL vs GIA cert

joshlam27

Rough_Rock
What are your thoughts on a EGL certified diamond that looks AMAZING...any downside to this?

At the end fo the day, i feel like i am buying a diamond for its visual appeal...not a piece of paper. so if the diamond looks amazing, any downside to getting an EGL certified diamond?

Will its appraisal value also be reduced as it is EGL certified?

any downsides?

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What are your thoughts on a EGS certified diamond that looks AMAZING...any downside to this?

At the end fo the day, i feel like i am buying a diamond for its visual appeal...not a piece of paper. so if the diamond looks amazing, any downside to getting an EGS certified diamond?

Will its appraisal value also be reduced as it is EGS certified?

any downsides?
Do you mean EGL?

princessandthepear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My antique cut pear is an EGL diamond. While it is a lovely diamond it would be nearly impossible to resell with an EGL. GIA and AGS are the standard. EGL and IGI are considered to be less reputable due to looser standards. While you may think that you would keep a diamond forever that is not always the case. Life events such as medical bills, divorce and changing financial circumstances may necessitate the sale of your diamond. A GIA diamond of equal specs will have a better resale than an EGL. If we hadn't been in a rush for the ring we would have sent it to GIA to be certed prior to setting. Now the setting would be destroyed if we decided to send it to GIA.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
yes..sorry EGL. thanks!. wish i could edit the title now...
Usually Run away from an egl stone. At the very least, it's overpriced bc their grading is garbage. If you love it, have the vendor send it to GIA. 99% It will come back 1-2 colors and clarity grades lower than the egl, and vendor will be forced to lower the price, which he/she doesn't want to do.

joshlam27

Rough_Rock
my vendor (who is GIA certified grad) has a EGL 2.01ct pear diamond F, SI1 clarity for 17k CAD. and it looks amazing!! this is why im stuck haha

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
my vendor (who is GIA certified grad) has a EGL 2.01ct pear diamond F, SI1 clarity for 17k CAD. and it looks amazing!! this is why im stuck haha
Then ask him to send it to gia. The only reason he'd say no is if he doesn't want to sell it for a fair price (which I hope isn't the case).

Miss Marple

Shiny_Rock
An alternative would be to ensure that the price you pay is in line with a diamond that is priced in line with a G/H SI2/I1 grading--but if that's the case, then you might as well have the jeweler send to GIA (unless time is an issue).

headlight

Ideal_Rock
If you love the diamond and you are okay with the price, then you should get it but I would actually disregard the EGL certificate as if it didn't exist. You would do better by going to an INDEPENDAT, CERTIFIED appraiser, and what I mean by that is someone that has specifically achieved the designations as an appraiser (not just a gemologist) from either the GIA or AGS. Then you get a totally unbiased yet fully professional appraisal and you will have that for insurance purposes. If you purchase a new diamond in a new mounting, the receipt will suffice for the insurance co but I don't know if you want them to replace your EGL with EGL. I think you'd be better to just get a full, formal, detailed appraisal as if you had inherited the diamond and then go by the specs on that appraisal for your knowledge, your insurance, and in the event you ever choose to sell.

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
While it is a lovely diamond it would be nearly impossible to resell with an EGL. GIA and AGS are the standard. EGL and IGI are considered to be less reputable due to looser standards.

Depends on where people are located in the world. From the OP's previous threads and the fack that they're posting prices in CAD, I think they are located in Canada. From my personal experience, I know that IGI is actually held in fairly highly regard here in Europe, as the IGI Antwerp lab is actually rather decent. The problem with IGI is that a few of their other labs are not quite as strict, leading to inconsistencies in their "brand" on the international scale.

I would hazard to say that it would be easier to sell an IGI-certified diamond outside of America than an AGS-certified diamond, as AGS is still a relative obscurity abroad. No comments on EGL though, as I don't think they're highly regarded anywhere haha. :mrgreen:

As @Miss Marple said, the easiest way to determine whether this would be a good deal @joshlam27 is to research G/H SI2 diamonds on a site like rarecarat to see whether you're being overcharged. Just a quick search turned up quite a few G/SI2's for about $13k usd, which is about $17k CAD. So I guess you're not really being overcharged here, especially if this price includes Canadian taxes.
https://www.adiamor.com/Diamonds/2.04-ct-G-SI2-Excellent-Cut-Pear-Diamond/D42715127?

Any chance you could upload a video of this diamond and/or a link to the EGL certificate? We really can't give you any advice without knowing more about the diamond. And as @lovedogs said, if you're really interested in dropping this much money on a stone, then I would tell the jeweler "Before we agree to a purchase, I want the diamond sent to GIA. If the stone comes back more than one color and/or clarity grade lower than the EGL certificate, then you pay for the cert and I walk. If it comes back from GIA with a satisfactory report, then I'll buy the diamond AND pay for the GIA cert and any shipping to/from GIA."

See how the jeweler reacts. After all, he's a GIA grad, so he should feel confident in knowing whether this diamond has been fairly graded according to GIA standards. If he balks at this offer, then you know he is trying to sell you junk with a junk certificate.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's important to remember the primary purpose of the certification -- to provide unbiased, reliable and accurate information concerning the properties of the diamond.

That values reported on that certification is then used to price the diamond in question. All other things being equal, we know a D colored stone will fetch more than a G colored stone. So if the certification is used to set market value, then what the certification says and who is certifying the data becomes very important to ensuring we aren't overpaying for a particular diamond.

So let's run a sample scenario. Let's pretend I have two diamonds. One appears to be a strong D VS1. The other is borderline between an F/G color and VS2/SI1 clarity. As the owner/cutter of these stones I'd like to get them certified to provide that assurance to my buyers and increase the price (as certified diamonds sell for more than uncertified).

It's my belief the D VS1 will get certified exactly as that if I send to GIA. However, I fear the second stone may only get certified as G SI1 if I send to GIA. But I hear EGL is more lenient and I think my odds of getting F+ color and VS2+ clarity is much higher with that lab. Looking at market prices, I see there is about a 5% price difference between EGL and GIA certified stones of the same color, clarity and cut quality. Yet the price difference between F VS2 and G SI1 is 20% difference. So by choosing to utilize EGL I stand to gain an additional 15% in asking price, which obviously boosts my profit margin higher.

Where do you think I would send that second diamond if I was profit driven?

Again, just to clarify the above is a sample scenario and I am not implying nor did I do any research to determine the 5%, 20% and 15% values noted above is even close to accurate. This is for illustration purposes only.

Hopefully you can see how the lab report does indeed matter. While it may affect the resale value, or ease of a resale that is just a side benefit. What really matters to you is that it sets the INITIAL value that YOU pay. And you don't want to over pay.

Assuming the diamond is an ideal cut and the most magnificent stone you've seen, you still need the assurance that if are paying the price premium for a F VS2 stone that it's really an F VS2 stone and not a G SI1 stone that can be secured much cheaper.

Lastly, the average Joe lacks the true experience needed to determine the true beauty of a stone. I don't mean this rudely. But to inexperienced eyes, it's very possible a stone looks like a 10. But an experienced pair of eyes may only value it as a 5, or maybe it's really a 10.

This is important because the price/value of a diamond is not necessarily determined by the consumer's perception of beauty, but more so based on the information contained in the certification. Using a good appraiser can provide additional insight and/or reassurance concerning the diamond being considered for purchase.

In this type of a situation, a very easy solution is to make a written agreement with the seller that the EGL certified stone will be sent to GIA for recertification. If the stone comes back as stated on the EGL certification, you will eat the cost of the GIA certification and buy the stone at the terms originally agreed. However, if the stone comes back as a lower quality stone from GIA, then the seller eats the cost of the GIA certification and will adjust the price of the stone per GIA standards. If they are unwilling to do so, then you have the right to reject the purchase and walk away without penalty.

princessandthepear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I just purchased a cut cornered square step cut diamond that was originally graded by IGI. The vendor whom I purchased it from had it regraded and inscribed by the GIA. I assume that this was done to appeal to more potential buyers.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just purchased a cut cornered square step cut diamond that was originally graded by IGI. The vendor whom I purchased it from had it regraded and inscribed by the GIA. I assume that this was done to appeal to more potential buyers.

Do you know the IGI specs vs. the GIA specs?

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
At the end fo the day, i feel like i am buying a diamond for its visual appeal...not a piece of paper. so if the diamond looks amazing, any downside to getting an EGL certified diamond?
Then, why even bother buying an EGL graded diamond? Buy an ungraded diamond, lab-grown diamond, or diamond simulant that is equally beautiful at a much cheaper price.

I think buying an EGL graded diamond is the worst compromise possible.

skypie

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If you love the way it looks and do not care about resale value, and you think the price is a good deal (meaning you would pay the same price even if the diamond were uncerted) by all means go ahead and buy it!

On the flipside, if you care solely about visual appeal have you considered getting a non-diamond? CZs or moissanites can have great visual appeal and are considerably cheaper than diamonds.

LinSF

Brilliant_Rock
My antique cut pear is an EGL diamond. While it is a lovely diamond it would be nearly impossible to resell with an EGL. GIA and AGS are the standard. EGL and IGI are considered to be less reputable due to looser standards. While you may think that you would keep a diamond forever that is not always the case. Life events such as medical bills, divorce and changing financial circumstances may necessitate the sale of your diamond. A GIA diamond of equal specs will have a better resale than an EGL. If we hadn't been in a rush for the ring we would have sent it to GIA to be certed prior to setting. Now the setting would be destroyed if we decided to send it to GIA.
'

@princessandthepear If it's in the ring in your profile photo you made a great decision, and it's beautiful! Sometimes it really doesn't matter what the paper says, and has to appeal to your eye. After all, you are wearing the jewel and not the certificate on your finger!

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
SO a couple things that should be re-iterated. This lovely F SI1 pear may actually BE a H I1. EGL tends to be softer on grading than GIA. However, if you love the stone, i say go for it. jsut DONT pay what you would for a GIA, F SI1 pear.
  • Do some price comparisons before unloading that much money!
  • Make sure you have a GOOD RETURN POLICY!
  • Dont' pay cash. use a CC. This way if you do decide to get it appraised and decide you overpaid, you have ways to ensure you get your money back if needed. get that appraisal ASAP
  • if possible, ask to take it outside the store before purchasing and make sure it still sparkles out from under the store lights. the lighting in these stores are designed to make all their stones sparkle like mad.
  • if you purchase, check it out in ALL lighting and make sure you're happy with it.
If you love it, i see no reason not to buy it as long as you're getting it at a fair price. There are lots of options out there so dont' feel like you have to rush this large of a purchase.

joshlam27

Rough_Rock
here is a photo. difficult to post a video as too big..
IMG_8877.jpg IMG_7583.jpeg

Swirl68

Shiny_Rock
Looking at market prices, I see there is about a 5% price difference between EGL and GIA certified stones of the same color, clarity and cut quality.

In this type of a situation, a very easy solution is to make a written agreement with the seller that the EGL certified stone will be sent to GIA for recertification. If the stone comes back as stated on the EGL certification, you will eat the cost of the GIA certification and buy the stone at the terms originally agreed.

There is a outside chance this stone could come back graded the same, or better. (I’ve seen it happen.) In that case, to be fair to the jeweler, shouldn’t he pay more than the originally agreed terms? The jeweler should probably get the difference in market price.

joshlam27

Rough_Rock
sorry i dont think the above link worked
try this

what do you guys think? EGL F color SI1

skypie

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The color looks nice and white. The stone doesn't look super lively though, like not a lot of sparkle in the center, IMO

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't love it either. I like the color, but I see a lot of "mush" on the tip, and what looks like a prominent bow tie in the center that isn't scintillating much. I personally wouldn't buy it.

Menlikediamondstoo

Shiny_Rock
I had a loose stone in a box like that. I don’t think we are getting a great sense of how the stone performs because it’s incased with a plastic “lid” over the stone.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results