shape
carat
color
clarity

EGL stone- good stone?

Rose_Dust

Shiny_Rock
I know about the differences in GIA and EGL grading but I was wondering what you guys think of this stone. Would you buy it?

This is what a local vendor brought in for me, as he''s trying to compete against a BGD H&A.

EGL 3005244826

Cristal Type: Type IaAB
Shape and Cut: Round Brilliant
Carat weight: 1.01 Ct.
Color Grade: H
Clarity Grade: VS2

ADDITIONAL GRADING INFORMATION
Measurements: 6.41 - 6.38 x 4.00
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Fluorescence: None
Total Depth: 62.4 %
Table Width: 56 %
Crown Height: 15 %
Pavillon Depth: 44 %
Girdle Thickness: Medium, Faceted

COMMENTS
- 8 HEARTS & 8 ARROWS - This Diamond was polished
utilizing superior precision & craftmanship, its
exquisite proportions generate the appearance of
8 Hearts & 8 Arrows, when viewed at the correct
angle & under the proper lighting conditions.
- ''Excellent Ideal Cut''.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nope, numbers are not promising.

https://www.pricescope.com/cutadviser.asp

EGL cut grading is too loose to be of any worth. Their color and clarity grading are also considered looser in trade that they are traded with a discount among vendors.

Rose_Dust

Shiny_Rock
Yep, I had already checked out the cut advisor but wanted someone elses opinion who is more knowledgable than myself. Thanks

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/11/2010 11:24:15 AM
Author:Rose_Dust

I know about the differences in GIA and EGL grading but I was wondering what you guys think of this stone. Would you buy it?

This is what a local vendor brought in for me, as he''s trying to compete against a BGD H&A.

EGL 3005244826

Cristal Type: Type IaAB
Shape and Cut: Round Brilliant
Carat weight: 1.01 Ct.
Color Grade: H
Clarity Grade: VS2

ADDITIONAL GRADING INFORMATION
Measurements: 6.41 - 6.38 x 4.00
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Fluorescence: None
Total Depth: 62.4 %
Table Width: 56 %
Crown Height: 15 %
Pavillon Depth: 44 %
Girdle Thickness: Medium, Faceted

COMMENTS

- 8 HEARTS & 8 ARROWS - This Diamond was polished
utilizing superior precision & craftmanship, its
exquisite proportions generate the appearance of
8 Hearts & 8 Arrows, when viewed at the correct
angle & under the proper lighting conditions.
- ''Excellent Ideal Cut''.

It really is not even close. This is what we thought could happen when he said he could get you an "H" for the price of a "J". An EGL H may indeed be a J, and it is certainly not as well cut. Well, you gave him a shot! You can tell him nope and let him keep looking if you want. Tell him it must be a GIA Ex or AGS0 for cut grade though. You can also look for GIA VG cut grades but it means weeding through more diamonds which you may or may not want to do.

Rose_Dust

Shiny_Rock
Yeah I realize its not even close which I was disappointed by because getting everything through him (since I love the setting) would be best but it just might not work out that way. I am now questioning, even though I love the setting, if it would be better to go with my 2nd favorite which is from BGD and just do it all from them. Oh decisions, decisions.

Rose_Dust

Shiny_Rock
I went and saw this stone this morning and as expected, it wasn''t what I wanted. It looked so yellow. Although it was a EGL H color (so possibly a J according to GIA/AGS), it made me worry about how a GIA/AGS H would look. I guess I need to go to another vendor and check out some H colored stones.

I am wondering if the setting itself made the stone look more yellow, it is a very white looking setting, but I don''t know what grade the side stones are and neither did he.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results