shape
carat
color
clarity

EGL-certified studs: no angle measurements provided?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

korthain

Rough_Rock
Greetings!

I was told today that EGL will grade mounted diamond studs sent in for certification, however, the accompanying reports will not include depth, table, crown, and pavilion percentages. Does this make sense to the Pricescope experts? (Since we''re talking about studs, the diamonds could be removed - no?)

I''m interested in purchasing a pair of round diamond stud earrings for my wife in celebration of the birth of our first child.

I decided that the pair of studs should be certified by EGL and then I could as well judge the diamonds using Pricescope''s "Holloway Cut Adviser" to help evaluate the visual appearance and quality of the purchase. (I am interested in purchasing a pair of earrings graded SI1, colored G-I and around 1.25 tcw.)

Perhaps not removing the diamond from the setting makes sense in the jewlery industry, but it does seem to conflict a bit with the information posted on the Pricescope site -- or does it? Again, thanks for the wealth of information on this wonderful website!

Thanks in advance for the response.

Sincerely,

M Lee

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi,
Yes, to get an accurate idea of the angles of the stones you need the diamonds removed to run through a sarin machine. A mounted stone is impossible to accurately grade as you need a loose stone to determine both color and clarity. . .so purchasing premounted stones and having them graded this way is doing YOU a disservice in that you could be paying an amount for diamonds that are not of the quality promised.

I'm not sure why you're looking for EGL stones. . .if in your shoes, I'd be hunting down well cut stones ALREADY graded by GIA or AGS (very strict standards) and looking for such well cut stones in the range you specified under the pricescope search engine and purchasing these stones loose and having them THEN mounted.

Are you comfortable buying online? Were you at a local jeweler today and is this this where you heard about sending premounted diamond earrings in to be certified?

Michelle

korthain

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your informative responses!

I incorporated your suggestions and purchased two "H&A" AGS certified and laser inscribed diamonds and mounts over the internet. Pricescope’s Holloway Cut Adviser rated the Total Visual Performance of these diamonds at 1.2 and 1.4, which helped to indicate that these stones were not “poor performers”. (What a useful tool!) Again, thank you for your time and helpful input. I - and of course my wife -- thank you.

Sincerely,

M Lee

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Don't forget to post the pics when these babies come in, please!
naughty.gif

Nan

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
oooh, congratulations! These will be beautiful earrings! Please post photos when you get your diamonds set.

Also, congrats on the birth of your child.
1.gif

Michelle

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations! They sounds like they will be great stones. What are the details, and where did you purchase them?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results