shape
carat
color
clarity

Egg Watch...how long before my chickens lay?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Steel

Ideal_Rock

loaddamnit.jpg

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Ethel and Agnes stretched their legs while I took photos of the new arrival.

Notice how red and full their rubber gloves are! They look so much healthier than poor cousin, Hettie. But she will be thriving soon.

agnessandethelonthegrass.jpg

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aw.....Bless wee Hettie!

Steel

Ideal_Rock

Finally,

Ethel & Agnes saw the bank manager and their application for a mortgage was approved last week. Construction ended on the extension this week.
It is more of a holiday home than principle primary residence but not taxable because it is a temporary dwelling; it can be relocated to fresh grass on request.

theextension1268986.jpg

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/7/2009 8:01:07 AM
Author: Steel

Finally,

Ethel & Agnes saw the bank manager and their application for a mortgage was approved last week. Construction ended on the extension this week.
It is more of a holiday home than principle primary residence but not taxable because it is a temporary dwelling; it can be relocated to fresh grass on request.
It would be no yoke if you had to pay Council Tax on it....
28.gif

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/7/2009 7:43:36 AM
Author: Lorelei
I KNEW IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
16.gif

She is gorgeous!!! How have Ethel and Agnes reacted to their new sister?

Beautiful and psychic - is there no end to your talents Ms. Lorelei?

Hettie had a bad night last night. We popped her in the coop at about 8pm but did not lock the door as the girls were still pecking about in the daylight. It was raining lightly. DH and I then put on a DVD and went back out at a quarter to 11 to lock the door on the coop. The girls always make their own way up into the coop and all we do is shut the door and lock the pen up for the night. DH went out and the girls were up as usual but poor little Hettie had made her own way down from the coop and was (shivering - we think) in the corner of the pen and it was pelting rain. So she must have come out and managed down the ladder (or flew) on her own but not been able to get back up. We felt very guilty. When DH put her back up somebody (probably Hettie) had laid an egg with a very thin shell that had almost melted on the coop floor. We think it is Hettie's egg as the girls already laid earlier in the day and their shells are fine now-a-days. So bless her cotton socks for getting stuck in the rain - after she tried to give us an egg. Awh.

Agnes (she not of the white neck feathers) seems to be bullying Hettie. She pecked her in the neck yesterday. But apart from that and a lot of beady eye we have not witnessed any scuffles.

If they do not get on we will build another coop.

Whooooo for hens and soon to be 3 eggs a day!

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/7/2009 8:09:29 AM

Date: 6/7/2009 8:01:07 AM

Finally,

It would be no yoke if you had to pay Council Tax on it....
28.gif
greenygrin.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/7/2009 8:11:46 AM

Date: 6/7/2009 7:43:36 AM
I KNEW IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
16.gif

She is gorgeous!!! How have Ethel and Agnes reacted to their new sister?

Beautiful and psychic - is there no end to your talents Ms. Lorelei?

Hettie had a bad night last night. We popped her in the coop at about 8pm but did not lock the door as the girls were still pecking about in the daylight. It was raining lightly. DH and I then put on a DVD and went back out at a quarter to 11 to lock the door on the coop. The girls always make their own way up into the coop and al we do is shut the door and lock the pen up for the night. DH went out and the girls were up as usual but poor little Hettie had made her own way down from the coop and was (shivering - we think) in the corner of the pen and it was pelting rain. So she must have come out and managed down the ladder (or flew) on her own but not been able to get back up. We felt very guilty. When DH put her back up somebody (probably Hettie) had laid an egg with a very thin shell that had almost melted on the coop floor. We think it is Hettie's egg as the girls already laid earlier in the day and their shells are fine now-a-days. So bless her cotton socks for getting stuck in the rain - after she tried to give us an egg. Awh.

Agnes (she not of the white neck feathers) seems to be bullying Hettie. She pecked her in the neck yesterday. But apart from that and a lot of beady eye we have not witnessed any scuffles.

If they do not get on we will build another coop.

Whooooo for hens and soon to be 3 eggs a day!
Hehehe!
9.gif

Poor little girl!
39.gif
Dear little soul....
39.gif
Chickens just melt my heart.

You should be ok and they will sort out the pecking order fairly soon, just keep an eye out for any blood or injuries, if so separate them at once until healed. But this is very unusual and as they are young they should rub along well enough together.

So how are you serving your fresh eggs Steelie? Still on toast soldiers with softly boiled eggs, or are you scrambling, frying, poaching or even making cakes now you will have around 21 eggs a week?
23.gif

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/7/2009 8:16:35 AM
Hehehe!
9.gif

Poor little girl!
39.gif
Dear little soul....
39.gif

You should be ok and they will sort out the pecking order fairly soon, just keep an eye out for any blood or injuries, if so separate them at once until healed. But this is very unusual and as they are young they should rub along well enough together.

So how are you serving your fresh eggs Steelie? Still on toast soldiers with softly boiled eggs, or are you scrambling, frying, poaching or even making cakes now you will have around 21 eggs a week?
23.gif
yippiechickie.gif

DH is currently baking an apple pie and that pastry took 2 small eggie weggies. I have an egg with soldiers for breakfast most mornings and sometimes DH joins me (but he prefers to have poached eggies). As you know we are building and we make lunch every day for one of our labourers who is giving us 'mates rates'; DH makes egg mayonaise once or twice a week for sarnies (ETA: for him and the labourer, which saves me € in shopping as I have to buy one less pack of ham for lunches) which goes down a treat! After that we are out of eggs hence the arrive of young Hettie. We need more eggies!

Thanks for asking! I will pass your compliments on to Hettie when I go out.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/7/2009 8:28:22 AM

Date: 6/7/2009 8:16:35 AM
Hehehe!
9.gif

Poor little girl!
39.gif
Dear little soul....
39.gif

23.gif
yippiechickie.gif

DH is currently baking an apple pie and that pastry took 2 small eggie weggies. I have an egg with soldiers for breakfast most mornings and sometimes DH joins me (but he prefers to have poached eggies). As you know we are building and we make lunch every day for one of our labourers who is giving us ''mates rates''; DH makes egg mayonaise once or twice a week for sarnies (ETA: for him and the labourer, which saves me € in shopping as I have to buy one less pack of ham for lunches) which goes down a treat! After that we are out of eggs hence the arrive of young Hettie. We need more eggies!

Thanks for asking! I will pass your compliments on to Hettie when I go out.

maybe you could get even more chickies.....

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Aw Steel, Hettie is so cute!
36.gif
Hehe I have no psychic abilities, so I had no idea what the surprise was.
3.gif

So sad for her in the rain, especially after trying to lay a little eggie.
15.gif
At least it was just a little rain though, I''m sure she''s fine. Tell Agnes no bullying allowed!!

It''s so neat to see the improvements of Ethel and Agnes, when compared to Hettie. Proves how much she''ll be able to thrive with you guys! And now we all get to cheer on Hettie!!!
36.gif
36.gif

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Oh, and I love the holiday house!!
10.gif
Great job!! Hehe you so funny, with the little chickies and their mortgage.
3.gif

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Luv!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What is the point in a surprise if nobody is surprised! You were great
9.gif

It is amazing to see the difference in the girls. I sat out with them all this afternoon to scold the girls if they bullied Hettie but I didn''t see anything out of sorts. But DH did later on - Agnes was pecking at poor Hettie so he pushed them apart. I said following on from Lorelei''s advice that we should leave them to it unless they hurt her. We are keeping our own beady eyes on them in case it gets out of hand.

Thanks for the compliment on the holiday home - it is something special isn''t it
28.gif
. (If you are a hen!)

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Aww! Welcome, Hettie!! I love all the girls names, btw! Lovely vacation place, too! I hope Hettie gets her eggs in gear much sooner than the other girls!

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Hettie is still being bullied by Agnes. DH an I sat out yesterday with a squirty gun and scolded (then squirted) Agnes when she went to peck poor Hettie. It worked but who knows if she will learn from it. Hettie gets all upset looking (for a hen) and makes herself small in the corner when Agnes is pecking at her. It makes me so sad - I just want to cuddle her.

We put Ethel and Hettie in the vacation home yesterday and they got on fine - it is just Agnes who is trying to assert her chicken (2nd in command) dominance. Today was hectic and we couldnt keep an eye on the girls so we just put Hettie in the vacation house on her own. Poor girl.

On a very sad note Lissey has been ''missing'' since Saturday night. She wailed to go out as usual but did not come back in. No sign of her on Sunday or today. It does not look good. DH and I are praying for her. Praying she will come home or if God has her that He takes good care of her. God bless you Lissey, where ever you are. Mummy & Daddy love you.

Lisseyand Henryathome.jpg

Steel

Ideal_Rock
This is a picture of her asleep just a week or so ago. She looked so cute with her fangs showing.
30.gif

Lisseyfastasleepearlierthismonth.jpg

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Isn''t she a looker?

lisseymm.jpg

Steel

Ideal_Rock
And this is the kitten that stole my heart. Lissey, God bless you.

mybeautifullisseymm.jpg

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh no.....Hang in there Steel, sometimes they do a bit of roaming this time of year - don''t lose heart!

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/8/2009 12:12:20 PM
Oh no.....Hang in there Steel, sometimes they do a bit of roaming this time of year - don't lose heart!
Thanks Lorelei. Trouble is, Lissey never left home. She would sit outside but never venture from the house. Henry often goes walkabout but not Lissey. That said, I will try not to get disheartned. I will admit to a bit of light sobbing while I posted her pictures but that is just between you and me.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/8/2009 12:21:55 PM

Oh no.....Hang in there Steel, sometimes they do a bit of roaming this time of year - don''t lose heart!
Thanks Lorelei. Trouble is, Lissey never left home. She would sit outside but never ventrure from the house. Henry often goes walkabout but not Lissey. That said, I will try not to get disheartned. I will admit to a bit of light sobbing while I posted her pictures but that is just between you and me.
(((((((hugs)))))))

Is it possible she is shut in anywhere, do you have neighbours with outbuildings?

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/8/2009 12:23:25 PM

Date: 6/8/2009 12:21:55 PM

Thanks Lorelei. Trouble is, Lissey never left home. She would sit outside but never ventrure from the house. Henry often goes walkabout but not Lissey. That said, I will try not to get disheartned. I will admit to a bit of light sobbing while I posted her pictures but that is just between you and me.
(((((((hugs)))))))

Is it possible she is shut in anywhere, do you have neighbours with outbuildings?
Thank you for caring.

But no as our neighbours are fields and open farm sheds. We have walked the ditches, called for her, looked in fields and farm sheds. Nothing. I called for her for about 3 miles on my walk today. Nothing. We looked on the site as best we could but because of the long grass it was hard to do a full sweep. It really is out of character for her to be gone at all never mind for 2 days. I hope she comes home, at the very least that she isn''t suffering somewhere.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will be praying she comes home soon.
emrose.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bump.
25.gif

I would like to know eggsactly how the girls are doing.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/14/2009 6:53:19 AM
Bump.
25.gif

Broooowark!

It is only this week that our girls have gotten over their issues and we are on day 3 (I think) of 3
hen.gif
hen.gif
hen.gif
(three) eggs a day! I could make pavlova all day long we have so many eggs! Whoooo hoooo!

Hettie has settled in as a fully fledged member of the feathered family and is no longer being bullied by Agnes.

The Holiday Village is a firm feathered favourite and the girls visit every evening to stretch their claws.

Thanks for asking. I will try to get some pictures asap. You have to see their rubber gloves- they are spectacular.

How are your girls doing?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/14/2009 5:16:20 PM

Date: 7/14/2009 6:53:19 AM
Bump.
25.gif

Broooowark!

It is only this week that our girls have gotten over their issues and we are on day 3 (I think) of 3
hen.gif
hen.gif
hen.gif
(three) eggs a day! I could make pavlova all day long we have so many eggs! Whoooo hoooo!

Hettie has settled in as a fully fledged member of the feathered family and is no longer being bullied by Agnes.

The Holiday Village is a firm feathered favourite and the girls visit every evening to stretch their claws.

Thanks for asking. I will try to get some pictures asap. You have to see their rubber gloves- they are spectacular.

How are your girls doing?
BROOOOOOWARK to you too!
35.gif

So glad the girls are setting an eggsemplary example of sisterly love and are cohabiting eggstremely peacefully! You could open an egg shop now, 21 eggs a week is eggsellent!!

My girls are fine thanks, I am averaging 50 eggs a week....
23.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
* hip bump*

25.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results