shape
carat
color
clarity

Edwardian 9K Signet Ring Help - Weight 26.7 Grams

Chester Mercury

Rough_Rock
Hello Everyone,

I just purchased this ring the other day from Goodwill. I was able to trace the hallmarks to Chester, England with a date code of 1923. It is marked correctly as 9K gold. My question would be, what type of person would wear this enormous-sized beautiful ring? It is loose on my 10.5 finger. Also, what are the 2 Initials? I either EG or EF? Should I scrap or is it worth intrinsically more as an antique 1.jpg ? Thank you for your help. I paid $2.75 for it.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    235.7 KB · Views: 7

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hard to say if it's genuine. All the scratches in the first photo look like the same age and depth and roughly parallel. Maybe it's at right angles to the direction of the lighting or maybe reaching in and out of a pocket that held a knife (happens to me). But looks a little sus, tbh. I would think even Goodwill would check to see if a massive ring were gold?

Chester Mercury

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your reply. The ring did pass the acid test taken from several spots on a touchstone. The other images are shiny because I polished the seat with compound. So what do you think?

Last edited:

Chester Mercury

Rough_Rock
Hard to say if it's genuine. All the scratches in the first photo look like the same age and depth and roughly parallel. Maybe it's at right angles to the direction of the lighting or maybe reaching in and out of a pocket that held a knife (happens to me). But looks a little sus, tbh. I would think even Goodwill would check to see if a massive ring were gold?

The ring rigidly passed the 10K acid test with a very heavy rubbing. What say you?

Last edited:

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a fabulous buy.
Yes, such signet rings were generally worn by men on their right hand ring finger or on a pinky finger (either hand). It was common to have your Initials engraved on top.
More an English tradition with the ring just being gold, rather than a stone set “class ring” type common in the US.
Often such rings were passed down through the family.
These days women wear them as well, why not.
You are fortunate to have found it, because there’s no precious gems involved, too often these rings are just scrapped for their gold value.
Enjoy and treasure.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’d trust the hallmarks re the date.
I agree that it’s most likely “”EZ.”
I think it’s possible that a more recent wearer had the brushed surface finish added because it’s easier to maintain than a smooth finish. Brushed finishes were all the rage at some point 20 or 30 years ago. But that’s pure speculation on my part.
It’s a lovely vintage piece. I hope you’ll be able to keep it as is.

Chester Mercury

Rough_Rock
I concur. Thank you for your help. I have no idea how it would up in the USA? With such uniques initials maybe I could trace it to somewhat of notoriety? Thanks again for your help!

Chester Mercury

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much. Would a ring of size be worn by a commoner? I may keep it, but I would hate to scrap it. It is an enormous ring. If you wanted to sell it, would you use eBay or someplace in Chester. Thank you so much for your help!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Thank you so much. Would a ring of size be worn by a commoner? I may keep it, but I would hate to scrap it. It is an enormous ring. If you wanted to sell it, would you use eBay or someplace in Chester. Thank you so much for your help!

Almost definitely. Much more likely to be some regular individual's ring. The ring having notoriety is possible, but unlikely. That will be a mystery that might be fun for you to look into.
It's too large for a signet worn by gentry etc. They were traditionally used as seals and are usually inherited and kept within the family.
Ebay is worth a try, they're having a bit of a style moment. If nothing else you can get the scrap price or enjoy it yourself.

Chester Mercury

Rough_Rock
Almost definitely. Much more likely to be some regular individual's ring. The ring having notoriety is possible, but unlikely. That will be a mystery that might be fun for you to look into.
It's too large for a signet worn by gentry etc. They were traditionally used as seals and are usually inherited and kept within the family.
Ebay is worth a try, they're having a bit of a style moment. If nothing else you can get the scrap price or enjoy it yourself.

Thank you so much.

Chester Mercury

Rough_Rock
Thanks again for your link and help. Enjoy your day!

GoldenTouch

Shiny_Rock
“My question would be, what type of person would wear this enormous-sized beautiful ring?”

The answer is me! I’m a heart beat!! Enjoy

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s probably just a trick of the light, but I have to ask: is that a different metal peaking out of the lower right edge of the ring in the second and third pictures?

Chester Mercury

Rough_Rock
It’s probably just a trick of the light, but I have to ask: is that a different metal peaking out of the lower right edge of the ring in the second and third pictures?

A trick of light and the lower shank of the ring. It's enormous. I put it on, and suddenly I'm the boss again! Retired at age 42 and am now 62! Thanks. Enjoy your weekend!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results