Is this EC a keeper?

• Yes

Votes: 12 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
After going through dozens of emerald cuts in stores and a couple of online returns, did I finally hit the EC jackpot? :$$):

http://www.gia.edu/cs/Satellite?reportno=1159140883&childpagename=GIA%2FPage%2FReportCheck&pagename=GIA%2FDispatcher&c=Page&cid=1355954554547

DIAMOND DOSSIER

EMERALD CUT
Measurements 6.29 x 4.62 x 3.10 mm
Carat Weight 0.80 carat
Color Grade K
Clarity Grade VVS1

PROPORTIONS
Depth 67.1 %
Table 60 %
Girdle Medium to Slightly Thick
Culet None

FINISH
Polish Excellent
Symmetry Very Good

FLUORESCENCE
Fluorescence None

CLARITY CHARACTERISTICS
Clarity Characteristics Feather

INSCRIPTION(S)
GIA 1159140883

Was originally aiming for something in the colorless range around 0.6 ct, but after seeing first hand how difficult it is to find an EC with an awesome cut, had to order this and see it in person based on the ASET image.

There's definitely a noticeable tint from the side, but not enough to be a bother, especially when the steps light up with rainbow colors. The cut is great, bright and sparkly with attractive steps even at a tilt. It's also noticeably bigger than a 0.6 ct and actually cheaper than eye clean stones in the colorless range around 0.6 ct.

So, is this one a keeper? This will be going into a wedding band so it'll be a forever stone. I have 30 days to make up my mind.

Apologies for the poor photo, it's not accurate for color at all but it shows the steps clearly. I'll take more with my good camera in better lighting later.
jackpot_0.jpg

Vendor images
jackpotvendor.jpg
jackpotis.png
jackpotaset.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think for you purposes it will work.

But if it were for a different piece that outside step would be a disqualifier for me, as it doesn't light up and I think edge to edge brilliance is important.

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
Gypsy, are you referring to the darker outer steps in the vendor photo? I think the vendor photo exaggerates the amount of obstruction as the outer steps light up in person as in my photos. Any other concerns?

A few more photos with more accurate color.

jackpot2.jpg

jackpot3.jpg

jackpot4.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Those photos were helpful. It's lovely.

I agree the vendor photos exaggerated the concern there.

I think you have a winner.

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Gypsy. It's the first EC I have seen in person within budget that I considered keeping. All others didn't wow me enough to keep for longer than 24 hours. :tongue:

I must say I'm pleasantly surprised by the color. Although it looks more tinted than my wife's I color round from the side, it looks whiter than her I face up. I'll see if I can get some color comparison shots that show what I see. It's going to be difficult to let this one go even if I find a similar or better cut in the colorless range. I think it's a steal for the size. :$$):

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
You are a true PSer at heart thbmok. Spread for size is a lure few of us can resist.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
No EC expert here, but fwiw, I think it's lovely!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like it; perfection is difficult to achieve but this EC comes close.

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks yennyfire and Chrono! Every opinion counts as I'm still new to emerald cuts!

I shot a video of the EC. To get a clear view of the steps I had to get my camera within 12 inches of the EC, so the video exaggerates the amount of obstruction in normal viewing conditions a bit. Color is completely off again, the blue paper the EC is sitting on is the same piece of blue paper in my previous photos with more accurate color.

http://youtu.be/V2t_el89xhM

Does the video change anyone's mind?

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
I was going to say the video makes the stone look orangish brown. Nice cut...

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nope. Still on board here.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Still like the EC.

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
Great! Took another video with a bit more tilt and less obstruction and table glare. If all's well I'm sending it off to get set this weekend. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

http://youtu.be/sUYbA3uqH1A

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Listen to Chrono.

btw I saw this thread earlier and you were being helped very well so I didn't post but since you paged me in the other thread here I am.

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for dropping by Karl! Your input means a lot!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Much better video. I like that you rotated it slowly to see how the steps move across the stone. I'll bet it is quite colourful when you are standing under a tree or in a place with high spot lighting.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's a lovely stone. You can really see it from that last video. I'd keep it.

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
Great! Thanks Chrono and Gypsy for checking it out again! Just got insurance through JM and will be sending it out tomorrow to get set. :naughty:

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
Looks lovely. another PSr purchased a K color EC after looking for a long time. Can't recall who it was though.

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
Well it's been set and on my finger for a while, but haven't had the chance to take proper pictures yet. I'll try for some better shots during the holidays. Thanks again for everyone's input!

ecring2.png ecring3.png ecring4.png ecring5.png

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, so different. I'm not used to seeing a stone off-set to one side but the ring looks fabulous!

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
Nice work!!!

I have always liked that square tension set look. You rock it!

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
Killer ring! I wish my DH would wear something like that :appl: I love it!

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
That turned out great…love the dimensional look of the K color EC and that ring is so smart looking….hmmm…might consider that for my hubby. He out grew his original wedding ring…lol!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous stone and setting! Turned out really beautiful!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results