shape
carat
color
clarity

EC experts please help!

sue011312

Rough_Rock
FFF0CA5E-DB6D-4CEE-9E62-F44E9F36FA9D.jpeg 8CB92CEB-BADE-4302-BCD3-F27D7B078313.jpeg hi all - i just purchased and received my dream emerald cut ring but (always a but) after wearing it a few days i noticed that there is a pretty prominent bowtie i think. You can't see it sometimes. The first pic is in direct sunlight and the second is in the shade but pretty much the same angle. Is the bowtie that prominent or is it my imagination? The stone is GIA certed and 67.5% derp and 65% table. There is no ASET for the stone. I called the store that it was purchased from and have a meeting on monday with them. The manager i spoke with said it maybe a reflection of the metal from the setting. But wouldn’t that be worse than a bowtie???

princessandthepear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@Karl_K has written an article on p3 angles that you would find helpful. They are an important factor in step cut performance but at this time there is no grading system for them. You can find the article by typing "p3 angles" in the search box at the top right corner.

sue011312

Rough_Rock
@Karl_K has written an article on p3 angles that you would find helpful. They are an important factor in step cut performance but at this time there is no grading system for them. You can find the article by typing "p3 angles" in the search box at the top right corner.
Thanks for the info. I’ll look now

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
p2 facets angled in such away that it is drawing light from right strait over the table.
The black your seeing is the camera.

Yes, it is the same basic thing that causes bow ties but they are not called that in step-cuts.
When smaller it can provide nice contrast between the bright bands creating nice patterns.
When they get large it can bring on to much contrast.
When tilted slightly side to side that area should flash bright with a nice big flash.

sue011312

Rough_Rock
p2 facets angled in such away that it is drawing light from right strait over the table.
The black your seeing is the camera.

Yes, it is the same basic thing that causes bow ties but they are not called that in step-cuts.
When smaller it can provide nice contrast between the bright bands creating nice patterns.
When they get large it can bring on to much contrast.
Thank you. I was reading your article on P3 and i hate to say it but i really don’t understand it. It’s very technical. I think I’ll have to read it a few times. My big concern is buying a badly cut stone . With just a GIA cert, how do i know if it’s cut well or not? Does it look like it is an unacceptable cut?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thank you. I was reading your article on P3 and i hate to say it but i really don’t understand it. It’s very technical. I think I’ll have to read it a few times. My big concern is buying a badly cut stone . With just a GIA cert, how do i know if it’s cut well or not? Does it look like it is an unacceptable cut?
GIA report tells you little about if its well cut.
ASET can help but it comes down to eyeballs.
video can help a bit if buying online.

It is very contrasty some like like it, some don't at all.
Some contrast is good to form the patterns and the 10 mile deep look but to much just makes the stone look dark.
It is really a preference call but this one has to much contrast for my preferences.

Last edited:

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bumping for updates. Did you decide to keep it, or return it for another?

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi - I decided to keep it. I do love it. Thanks for checking. now I’m trying to decide on traps or emerald cuts for sides. Pricescope is a blessing and a curse.

I love EC’s, baguettes, Asschers and Carre for a 3 stone ring with EC centers.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results