shape
carat
color
clarity

ebay purchase vintage piece dilemma-thoughts/advice?

catia

Shiny_Rock
Long & short of it, it is an old piece. Pretty ring, 2 diamonds. I asked seller questions & issues were not disclosed, but they had 14 returns if unhappy. They came down in their ask price for me, which was still more than I would have paid if purchasing for myself, but hubby isn't as nit-picky,
If the issues would have been disclosed, and I DID ask, I would have had a different type of choice, & the seller knew it, but, what I am not sure of now is if I in fact even got a FAIR deal, or how I should go about my contact with the seller at this point.
*I know buying on ebay is a risk,
This wasn't a huge purchase $$ wise, but it was $550, AND my Valentines day gift, which didn't come easy, cuz hubby purchased me some other piece of jewelry that I had to figure out how to tell him it HAD to go back (new, from amazon, poorly made in china & over priced-marketed to men for valentines day...) And well, this ring cost more than twice as much, and here I am possibly going to return, because well, I am P*ssd off.
Trying real HARD not to seem like a picky B, but it's jewelry & I AM picky B about it!

The biggest things people selling vintage jewelry on ebay seem to not disclose is chips.
I expected the girdle might be flea bitten, & it's old, so I was prepared to accept that to some extent.
What wasn't disclosed is either a chip or some type of cavity/indented natural on the top part. It is NOT easy to see in pics, you can see if you look closely with the naked eye, however you can also feel it easily. Seller *SHOULD* have disclosed,

I get a piece is worth whatever it is worth to a person, but I feel like they played a game with me. 2 of these were on ebay, I inquired about both because they looked the same but had 2 different total carat weights. After a couple of messages back/forth, they said 1 of the auctions was listed twice & they removed 1. I really wanted the ring obviously, so I kept at it. The seller appears to be a pawn shop, but they also do sizing, so there IS a jeweler involved somewhere. Anyway....

Be it chip/indented natural/cavity -what ever it is is there clearly. My concern is that it might affect the integrity of the stone & since I can't flip this sucker over to fully inspect, & since I am not an experienced jeweler or gemologist, I cannot tell if there is any crack or anything, I can take more pics with hubby's phone when he gets home if you need them. Right now, I'm asking for some eagle eyes from you gals here who love the old cuts despite the funkiness of the girdles.
Believe it or not, all of the bumps/bruises doesn't seem to affect the performance of the ring. You wouldn't believe the waxy glue like gunk I removed from the ring, but these little old diamonds spit fire like crazy. I have zero issues with the color-what I am trying to figure out is do I return & get refund, do I even try to correspond with the seller.
I'm on the fence truly, with this ring in my face. I feel hubby overpaid due to the issue not disclosed-it was not listed in the despription, but I inquired specifically about chips. But it is SOOOOO pretty, & if the chip/flaw doesn't affect the integrity of the stone, I *might* keep it because it doesn't affect the performance of the piece....
Attached is the pic of whatever it is chip or whatever-it is the squiggly lines on the top diamond (darker diamond)-at the junction of 2 sides & the table (don't know my terms all that well)
If you want more pics let me know what you want & I will try to take them.

View attachment 925678 same-angle- closeup.jpg from above .jpg

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sounds like a tough situation.

I'm sorry -- I can not see much of anything in those photos. It's a bypass ring? What are the stone sizes/ct-weights and what other information was provided? What metal?

Do you have a loupe that you are using to make this assessment?

Do you have a trusted vendor who might let you take a peek through a 'scope?

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The kind of doubts and second-guessing you have about this item make me want to say, just return for refund ... unless you have access to trusted local jeweler/bench person who can take a look at it ... and even so, there are no guarantees a surface chip or under-table feather won't crack further with wear ... so any damage that may occur to this ring in the future you likely will attribute to its condition upon delivery to you ... that's why I say, just return for refund.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very annoying for you.
I buy and sell, occasionally, on eBay.
As a seller I take lots of photos and I’m very careful to disclose any flaws that myself as a buyer would want disclosed.
Having buyers Return items for dissatisfaction is a pain for both buyer and seller so I hope to avoid that.
As a buyer buying pre loved items I expect there to be signs of wear. I recently Bought a zircon bracelet, good seller, where a damaged prong was not disclosed and was not apparent in photos. Before I wear any newly acquired piece I “test” the gems to see if they wiggle in the setting. Unfortunately one zircon is loose. I won’t return the bracelet for it though, it’s a nuisance for me and an added expense but I love the bracelet and accept that this as a unwelcome but not unexpected flaw.
If you are unhappy with the condition, return the item for a refund.

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is the faint line in the pic what you are asking about?
EEEACB32-A61B-449C-A938-08C8854CA13B.jpeg

catia

Shiny_Rock
For whatever reason the 1st pic where it is clear did not post here it is.
If you look at the top diamonds 2 prongs that would be 11 & 12 o'clockit is the squiggly upsidedown J looking markwith a backwards R just before the table

flaw.jpg

catia

Shiny_Rock
The specs I got from seller us 14k, size 4, and estimated size I was given 2 different things, .75 & .87 total weight. I inquired further and requested mm spread but received no answer. I got the feeling they don't know what I meant by "mm spread".
Their pics were pretty good, I have 10 total pics between both listings. I could determine from pics that the diamonds were both at least .25 ct from my estimations, but looked bigger. Enlarging the pics I could see some flea bites around girdles but nothing of major concern considering age.
The seller had it double listed with 2 separate sets of pics in different lighting & I was inquiring on both trying to compare. The seller seemed confused about who they were corresponding with, even though my name is on the offers, said they gave me the info, removed 1 if the ebay listings due to being duplicate, which I made an offer on after they told me it was the same ring & did not give specs I requested, but said they did. Then they sent me another offer which was actually $30 higher than their 1st offer, I responded asking why they would send me an offer which raised the price from their 1st offer. They said they had someone else making an offer ??? I said that was me, & they send me their copy of my correspondence with my name clearly on it & agreed with me, but did not answer the questions.
He seemed confused or maybe not ebay or computer savvy, not very jewelry savvy, or maybe just playing dumb, I don't know, he actually tried to use my own offers against me to try to get higher price, but didn't realize he was corresponding with only 1 person, with my name clearly there, then sent me my own correspondence back & admitted they thought I was 2 different buyers.
My opinion is that I was dealing with someone not real good online, like an older person trying to navigate a phone while online, because aside from this, the ring was NOT listed using terms like "toi et moi" or "bypass", didn't state OEC or old mine. which would have targeted & sold the ring sooner, it was listed simply as "vintage white gold diamond ring".
They are a pawn shop with 100% positive rating since 2002 but have only sold about 500 items on ebay in 20+ years. They have 14 day returns, so no problem there, he was clear on that in final correspondence. That is why we finally pulled the trigger & purchased, frustration, we we getting nowhere & told we would have to wait 3-4 more days for the mm info because they would not be in the shop & did not have the info. I didn't want to leave it up for grabs while I waited for an answer, yet again, because this has been going on since January. The ring was well packed, even with velvet a ring box, but was so filthy with a gummy/waxy gunk that came off with LA's awesome cleaner lol After cleaning it became spectacular. Now I have to make a decision.

I am trying to figure out what the external flaw is, where the crown facets meet the table. It feels like a chip, but closer inspection with 10x loupe it doesn't look like a chip to me, maybe bruise/knot/scratch/indented natural. My concern is that it may extend further in & am trying to get a better view with hubby's phone camera.

catia

Shiny_Rock
flaw-enlarged-circled-2.jpg

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I would just return it. It doesn't sound like you are happy with it. It sounds like you are doing a lot of mental gymnastics on what should have been disclosed and what was disclosed, as well as the interaction with the seller. Just return it and be done with it. Find something that won't have baggage.

catia

Shiny_Rock
You are so correct! Simply returning would be the easiest thing to do of course. Agreed.
I could avoid all mental gymnastics & stress. Agreed.

What's keeping me from giving up on this ring & moving on?
Quite honestly, this ring is a ridiculous performer.
*Visually* it exceeded anything I expected.
It arrived filthy & still looked great. After cleaning I was blown away.

If whatever flaw this is doesn't affect the integrity of the stone, I do not want to part with it.

Obviously the situation could have been avoided. The flaw should have been disclosed, so that I could make an educated decision, before actually purchasing.
I am certainly NOT a professional, not a gemologist, & I noticed it immediately.

Also, equally obvious, is the fact that this situation could have been avoided if I stayed within the safe confines of purchasing from reputable, experienced vendors who specialize in antique jewelry & stones.

At the crossroads is the *Other Obvious*,
The quiet part that I'm gonna say out loud:
*If I just stay on the safe path*, I miss opportunities to possess something delightful & rare, in it's original form, without paying the associated premium.
A lost piece of history, which required amazing skills, and quite a bit of luck, to bring to fruition, which somehow managed to survive.

I can't afford the premiums associated with the expert vendors.
Champagne taste with a hotdog budget is what I've got!

So I scour & scan the fringe.
For the love of lost art, history.
To satisfy a ferrets addiction for bright shiny things.
Every once in a while the stars align.
It HAS happened to me.
It doesn't come without risk, disappointment, persistence.
Sometimes the pain makes me cry out,
*But also sometimes the JOY*

Figuring out the balance is a thread I need to create.
It's a deep dive, different for everyone.
This forum is probably the one place on earth where we have the resources to educate ourselves, a group of fine people crazy enough to explore the fringes, & a safe place to share our experiences & spoils, for better or for worse.

Thankful to be here!

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock
You are so correct! Simply returning would be the easiest thing to do of course. Agreed.
I could avoid all mental gymnastics & stress. Agreed.

What's keeping me from giving up on this ring & moving on?
Quite honestly, this ring is a ridiculous performer.
*Visually* it exceeded anything I expected.
It arrived filthy & still looked great. After cleaning I was blown away.

If whatever flaw this is doesn't affect the integrity of the stone, I do not want to part with it.

Obviously the situation could have been avoided. The flaw should have been disclosed, so that I could make an educated decision, before actually purchasing.
I am certainly NOT a professional, not a gemologist, & I noticed it immediately.

Also, equally obvious, is the fact that this situation could have been avoided if I stayed within the safe confines of purchasing from reputable, experienced vendors who specialize in antique jewelry & stones.

At the crossroads is the *Other Obvious*,
The quiet part that I'm gonna say out loud:
*If I just stay on the safe path*, I miss opportunities to possess something delightful & rare, in it's original form, without paying the associated premium.
A lost piece of history, which required amazing skills, and quite a bit of luck, to bring to fruition, which somehow managed to survive.

I can't afford the premiums associated with the expert vendors.
Champagne taste with a hotdog budget is what I've got!

So I scour & scan the fringe.
For the love of lost art, history.
To satisfy a ferrets addiction for bright shiny things.
Every once in a while the stars align.
It HAS happened to me.
It doesn't come without risk, disappointment, persistence.
Sometimes the pain makes me cry out,
*But also sometimes the JOY*

Figuring out the balance is a thread I need to create.
It's a deep dive, different for everyone.
This forum is probably the one place on earth where we have the resources to educate ourselves, a group of fine people crazy enough to explore the fringes, & a safe place to share our experiences & spoils, for better or for worse.

Thankful to be here!

You may not believe it but there will be other ones out there that won’t have this issue. Bargains can be found and I have found them and the hunt is part of the fun too.

I have also made the same mistake several times of not returning something and then wishing I had.

Good luck with your decision!

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
I can see a pic from the top?

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
If it is an older seller, they may not have inspected that close. Old diamonds get chips (and have naturals). I would not let that stand in the way of a great ring.

I would expect full disclosure from a jeweler, not a pawn shop. Hopefully it was priced at a pawn shop price.

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’m an old cut lover, I only buy vintage/preloved. I tolerate flaws so I can get a good deal. I’ll answer your questions with my personal opinions. First, I’m sorry the seller didn’t disclose the inclusion/flaw you note. To me that’s not so nice and you -could- decide to return on principle that they knew what they didn’t disclose and be disappointed. (As mentioned above your pawn seller might not have the tools or experience to actually have described what this was, so maybe it’s forgivable.)

FWIW the naturals you see are likely that, not a chip. I‘m guessing, but IMO a table chip/ding doesn’t really look like a deep internal squiggle. If the stone has been in that ring for 100 years (my guess about age is around 1920 or earlier), whatever the internal and surface reaching inclusion is, it has withstood many years. The ring likely was not touched by the dealer if it had a ton of gunk on it. The diamonds are most likely original to the ring, because it’s hard and fussy to find matching pairs anymore. I’m guessing, of course.

For pricing, the price you got for the ring seems fair to me because right now a 14k setting is going to run more than $400 (for example, I just was quoted this as lowest price for very simple, boring style in 14k made in Asia). Your antique 14k setting is BEAUTIFUL, intricate and looks like engraved (though it’s very delicate/not a lot of metal).

The diamonds perform well, to you. You don’t mind the color. If you are thrilled by the cut/performance of your diamonds, IMO, that’s something worth considering to keep. Your gift is a sentimental, historical piece of art with some flaws. If you want perfect you could spend double that.

Personally, I like this ring. You -could- wait more time to find another good deal and nice ring that you like but it will take time, and involve searching; that’s the trade off.

Last edited:

catia

Shiny_Rock
Here is a handshot-not mine, but from the seller's listing. Ring is a size 4 so a little big for me.
FYI I started a thread about the flaw cuz I am pretty sure it's not a chip, I think it might be an etch channel, but my phone camera isn't cooperating at the moment to get better pics.
At any rate, Jules & Vincent did NOT want to go back. They are quite a spectacular duo.
Finger coverage is great, it's for my pinky, but I gotta get it sized. The diamonds are not an exact match, one is slightly bigger & top light brown.
Tall crowns & deep, some kozibe as well. I think tcw is about .75

My blacklight battery is dead, but I got a hunch Jules is gonna glow.
At some point down the road I want to reset them in the same style as they are, but in delicate bezels to preserve the girdles. They really are THAT impressive.
handshot-not mine.jpg

Attachments

• ggpawn-wg-75pointsctw-2.jpg
    ggpawn-wg-75pointsctw-2.jpg
    311.9 KB · Views: 17

pokerface

Brilliant_Rock
My two cents: it's a beautiful ring and more than fairly priced at $550. I don't think you will find a better deal, with or without a small natural. It looks really nice with your skin color and the size is perfect for your pinky. The light brown stone is more unusual and gives the ring character. Honestly, I love it and call it a win.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results