shape
carat
color
clarity

Ebay help

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
OK Peeps. I am thinking of buying something I found on ebay, but it is also available through the sellers own online store (www.oakgem.com). The seller will only accept bankwire from me because I am international (they are in the US, I am in Canada). I have no idea why they will not take Paypal, but he seemed to think it led to hassels with international purchases. Anyway, I am wondering, if I buy on ebay but use bank wire to pay is it covered under buyer protection? I can't make heads or tails of the information on ebay for this question (apparently if I use "Bill Me Later" I am covered, but I have not used ebay before and dont' know what that is!). I am trying to decide if it is worth using Ebay, because I save $50 going through the company's own website.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamer_D|1319140294|3044353 said:
OK Peeps. I am thinking of buying something I found on ebay, but it is also available through the sellers own online store (www.oakgem.com). The seller will only accept bankwire from me because I am international (they are in the US, I am in Canada). I have no idea why they will not take Paypal, but he seemed to think it led to hassels with international purchases. Anyway, I am wondering, if I buy on ebay but use bank wire to pay is it covered under buyer protection? I can't make heads or tails of the information on ebay for this question (apparently if I use "Bill Me Later" I am covered, but I have not used ebay before and dont' know what that is!). I am trying to decide if it is worth using Ebay, because I save $50 going through the company's own website.

I don't think so, but we'll see what more experienced ebayers say. Paying by wire always makes me nervous unless it's with a well-known PS vendor.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is what I found about payment methods, I think you are right about bank wire.

You are covered if you used one of the payment methods listed below:

PayPal
ProPay
Moneybookers
Paymate
Credit card or debit card processed through the seller's Internet merchant account
Bill Me Later

eBay Buyer Protection is not available if you paid using payment methods not specified in the eBay Buyer Protection Policy.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe call your bank? I've always thought wire transfer is sorta irretrievable, and I'd be really uncomfortable doing that w/ an unfamiliar vendor...

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that is a reputable seller, though. I am not going to the trouble of looking at their feedback, but if their feedback is close to 100%, I wouldn't worry too much. It would be like buying from any store's website. I actually did this yesterday. I wanted to offer lower than a "buy it now" price, so I dealt with them through their regular website and paid by credit card so I'd have that protection. Will they let you pay by CC?

Okay, they clearly state they have a 7 day return policy. I'd offer lower than the website price for the item and pay by credit card if you can.

purplesparklies

Brilliant_Rock
Bill Me Later is a financing option available thru paypal. It still processes as paypal for the seller but for purchases over $199 (I think) you get 6 months interest free financing. Works well but still paypal. I would not want to do bank wire personally.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have spoken to them already. International buyers is bankwire only. I could probably get them to let me use PayPal if I pay more for the item, from the sounds of it they want bankwire as a PITA payment for processing international orders ::) I think they are very reputable, apparently David Atlas knows the owner and said they are legit; I read that on PS: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/oakgem-com-anyone-familiar-with-this-company.155674/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/oakgem-com-anyone-familiar-with-this-company.155674/[/URL]

It is not any different than buying from a store in person using my debit card, right? I guess the main difference is that I have the item in hand if I buy in person...

The price is not negotiable, I tried. It is a very good price, so I am not concerned about that.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
FWIW they get A+ from the BBB... I don't know, I wonder if I am being paranoid about this.

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
I understand completely why you are so paranoid since all you can count on is the seller is being honest once you paid the money. I get paranoid even if I paid with paypal worry if I get an empty box or something. Do you have any family or friends in the state who can do paypal for you and you wire the money to them?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmm. No I don't know anyone in the US who I want to bother with something like that. But it is an idea Minmin! I will either call him tomorrow and say I want to buy but will not pay by wire, or else I will pass alltogether I guess!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How much is a little more?

The security of going through PayPal is enticing - when I had a problem they were very quick to get it sorted out.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yssie|1319150929|3044472 said:
How much is a little more?

The security of going through PayPal is enticing - when I had a problem they were very quick to get it sorted out.

I agree. I don't know what he would want, I would have to ask. I did not find him the easiest to talk to though.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamer, I don't think I'd personally worry about wiring money to them. I'd be sure to do a return well within the 7 days and get proof of date returned with return receipt and that kind of thing. That business is legit and deals with a major amount of designer items, so they are just not ones I'd worry about.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1319153275|3044506 said:
Dreamer, I don't think I'd personally worry about wiring money to them. I'd be sure to do a return well within the 7 days and get proof of date returned with return receipt and that kind of thing. That business is legit and deals with a major amount of designer items, so they are just not ones I'd worry about.

OK, that means a lot to me that you think so. I still worry though :errrr: I am such a newb at online buying. Others on PS seem to buy with no worries all the time! Me not so much.

FWIW when I spoke to the owner he said not to worry about the return timing, just call him when I got the ring and sau "I love it" or "I hate it" and I can send it back.

No I need to decide if I should pull the trigger!

stci

Ideal_Rock
purplesparklies|1319145846|3044435 said:
Bill Me Later is a financing option available thru paypal. It still processes as paypal for the seller but for purchases over $199 (I think) you get 6 months interest free financing. Works well but still paypal. I would not want to do bank wire personally.

since when Bill me Later is available to Canadian? Always though it was for American only...

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I took a similar risk yesterday, really. I will still be at their mercy to refund my credit card because I did it directly with them and not thru ebay (which I'd never do with an individual, but I read reviews on the jeweler and felt they were worthy of the risk). If these people want to stay in business, they need to follow their policies. So really, oakgem is one that I'd buy from. In fact, I am watching for a Tiffany item now and would buy from them if the price was right.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I had several items from them on my list....but now, I dunno. They don't negotiate on price as previous mentioned.

cheers--Sharon

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
stci|1319155440|3044524 said:
purplesparklies|1319145846|3044435 said:

since when Bill me Later is available to Canadian? Always though it was for American only...

Oh probably, I have no idea. It is ebay.com that mentions it.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
canuk-gal|1319156290|3044533 said:
HI:

I had several items from them on my list....but now, I dunno. They don't negotiate on price as previous mentioned.

cheers--Sharon

That is sad to hear. They'd sell more if they'd do that. I expect it on 2nd hand items priced that high.

Don't you miss Signed Pieces, Sharon?!! Gosh I would have bought more from them if I had known they were planning to close!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1319156627|3044535 said:
canuk-gal|1319156290|3044533 said:
HI:

cheers--Sharon

That is sad to hear. They'd sell more if they'd do that. I expect it on 2nd hand items priced that high.

Don't you miss Signed Pieces, Sharon?!! Gosh I would have bought more from them if I had known they were planning to close!

Absolutely DS! boohoo

I follow this vendor (almost daily) and their product turns over on a regular basis--hence they must not have any "need" to "negotiate" or offer "sales".....however Signed Pieces had a biannual sale!

cheers--Sharon

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, and I perceived their prices to be more reasonable, too.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
You know, for the specific items that are common (like Tiffany stuff) they have the lowest prices on ebay that I have seen.

The item I am thinking about is well priced.

lucyloo

Shiny_Rock
I purchased an A Jaffe eternity band from Oakgem (username Dimka on Ebay) about 4 years ago. I was really nervous too but got a quick appraisal and it's authentic. We had trouble with the slooow Registered Mail process and my husband called at one point to discuss the situation with the seller. He said the seller was somewhat abrupt (maybe English is not his first language?) but not rude. The problem ended up being with our post office, not the seller. But I will say I was worried since it was my first big Ebay transaction. I would buy from him again and for the items I have considered, find his prices to be fair.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamer_D|1319162522|3044576 said:
You know, for the specific items that are common (like Tiffany stuff) they have the lowest prices on ebay that I have seen.

The item I am thinking about is well priced.

I have done price comparisons to other (estate) sites and would agree.

cheers--Sharon

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Lucy! That helps. Abrupt is a good description, I found the conversation... strained.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just did a search of Oak Gem's ebay name and Little Grey Kitten and TGal both have bought from him with positve outcomes. I take that, plus Dave Atlas's recommendation, as good enough for me!

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
Why can't you use paypal? I used paypal all the time to buy ebay goods off american sellers when I was in Canada.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just his policy Gala. I could probably argue to use it, and I might still, but I think he would charge a "handling fee" or something.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
According to ebay rules a seller is not allowed to demand payment through a wire transfer except for in a few select categories, jewelry not being one of them. If reported, his auctions could get pulled. There is no exception for international sales. Firmly remind him of ebay's rules and he probably will change his mind.

Per ebay's website.

Checks, money orders, and bank wire transfers aren't allowed for most eBay purchases. But sellers can offer these payment methods for certain items in some categories, including Motors, Capital and Business Equipment, Real Estate, and Adult Only.

Also, if you make a bid, or purchase the item through buy it now, the seller cannot add on any additional fees that was not stated in the original auction. Even shipping charges are tightly controlled. If he agrees to ship internationally, then he cannot penalize you.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
ruby59|1319173938|3044669 said:
According to ebay rules a seller is not allowed to demand payment through a wire transfer except for in a few select categories, jewelry not being one of them. If reported, his auctions could get pulled. There is no exception for international sales. Firmly remind him of ebay's rules and he probably will change his mind.

Hmm. Interesting. That combined with something else he said -- that he would ship to a PO box by the border so I can bring it accross without paying taxes -- make me wary. I always think if a seller will bend those rules then what others will they bend? But if I do proceed, I will do as you say!

I don't want to get into a pissig contect with this guy over this, not worth it to me.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results