shape
carat
color
clarity

Ebay for vintage jewelry/diamonds?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/13/2009 12:43:35 AM
Author: glitterata
I won an excellent 18th century ring this week, for an incredible price. But the dealer sold it to somebody local for three or four times my winning bid and canceled the transaction.

I''ve certainly seen jewelry from the 18th and even 17th centuries on ebay. I think the oldest I''ve actually bought and received has probably been early 19th century, though.
I would kill to have a 16th or 17th century piece. I wonder if it was really legit or a copy.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Here''s a convincing-looking ring from 1789, according to the hallmarks.

Here''s a supposedly 1680 ring from a seller I consider very reliable.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Tourmalinelover, you can have your wish minus the murder--all you need is money and a good appraiser. I''m not sure ebay would be the first place I''d look, but there are some sellers there whom I''d trust.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
A nice-looking 17th century silver locket from Nalfie (CJ Antiques Ltd). I find her very believable.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would actually love something from the Elizabethan era (all I have are a few old coins). Perhaps the early Jacobean period as well, like a ring. The turquoise ring looked too new to me for some reason.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Well, they do exist, so you should be able to satisfy your craving sooner or later. Just make sure you get a really good appraiser involved in the purchase.

Sorry to have taken the thread so far afield!

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I think it''s perfectly on topic!

Burk

Ideal_Rock
How have I missed this? I''m an ebayaholic signing in!! I just had to go clean up my watch list. I''ve purchased a few larger pieces on ebay and had really good luck. On the lookout for my next purchase (I want OEC bezel set earrings)!!
41.gif

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Well, my deco platinum sapphire ebay ring arrived. I can''t believe how well made this little ring is! Perfect little cut-outs and milgraining, all the edges neat and sharp. I expected the little diamonds to be single cuts, but they''re not--they''re full cut. If the jeweler who made this were still alive and working, I bet he''d be a hit with picky PSers.

Here''s a hand shot. For scale, it''s around size 5 3/4 and I''m wearing it next to my .73 ct Infinity (which is in a setting from the same period, but not nearly as well made).

I think I''ll post a thread on it in Show Me The Ring.

decosaphgl5.jpg

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Though not technically "vintage," I did just get an incredible deal on this George Sawyer mokume wedding band. It was purchased 12 years ago and is currently retailing at Pearlman''s for $2340!

c648_1.jpg

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Oh, that''s gorgeous!!

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
I found this half carat platinum ring on ebay

50ebay.jpg

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
And this tiny little .40 carat filigree too

40ebay.jpg

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Those are darling PP, are you getting both of them???

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
I bought them both last year. They''re OEC. I don''t wear them that often though. I should find the boxes and wear them more.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/22/2009 10:18:37 PM
Author: purrfectpear
I bought them both last year. They''re OEC. I don''t wear them that often though. I should find the boxes and wear them more.

Well yes you should. I really like them.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Slight thread hijack, but for all you lovers of glorious antique jewels, make sure you check out the "Royal Jewels" sticky thread in the "Jewelry" forum. Lots and LOTS of pictures of antique jewelry. Not that everyone can have these royal jewels, but it gives you an idea of design from many periods and what to look for in design that would interest you when browsing ebay. I posted a picture of Queen Elizabeth I''s locket diamond and ruby ring from the 16th century on that thread. I would love to have something in a similar design.

Threadjack over!!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Despite my recent unpleasant ebay experience, I''m still a big fan of ebay for antique jewelry. You just have to be willing to put up with a few bad experiences--the good ones are more than worth it.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Ebay sellers are strange. Their descriptions are awkward.

"Offering for your consideration is a..."

or

"Here we are selling to you a..."

Ebay dudes, you don''t have to tell me you''re selling something. I get it already.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/26/2009 10:10:28 PM
Author: glitterata
Despite my recent unpleasant ebay experience, I''m still a big fan of ebay for antique jewelry. You just have to be willing to put up with a few bad experiences--the good ones are more than worth it.

Sorry about your experience. The piece is really cool--glad you are keeping it.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/27/2009 8:55:43 PM
Author: coatimundi
Ebay sellers are strange. Their descriptions are awkward.

''Offering for your consideration is a...''

or

''Here we are selling to you a...''

Ebay dudes, you don''t have to tell me you''re selling something. I get it already.

They are weird. I think it''s funny when the listing say "happy bidding". Because I was planning on having a crappy bidding experience.

Or worse, when mid-description the seller goes on a rant about non-paying bidders and exactly what they would like to do to them. They are a strange bunch.

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
In November I fell in love with an early deco diamond ring...I was looking for something vintage to wear as a wedding ring.

When I saw this one, it ''spoke'' to me AND my hubby too, LOL. it had a smaller .34 champagne diamond and a very intricate white gold filigree setting...the setting was SO different and pretty, almost a ''Celtic'' look to it. The pictures were very detailed too, and the jeweler had a good rating and good return policy, so I felt confident bidding on the ring.

Well, there was a reserve amount and we had put in our high bid which I felt was fair, but still hadn''t met the reserve...hubby knew I was in love with this ring and big higher, but didn''t tell me! We exceeded the reserve amount by $10.00 and won the auction...

I was SO excited to get it... Well, when I got it, I couldn''t believe how SMALL and fragile the setting was... I Know photos are enlarged to show detail, but the filigree actually BENT when I tried to clean it (I was very gentle!) and the shank was paper thin and had obviously had a repair at some point, which was not disclosed. I was heart broken, but decided for the money, it was better to return it because it would not have held up to every day wear and would have needed a new shank soon.

At least the seller processed the refund quickly (I''d NEVER buy something on E-bay without a return policy!)...and he relisted it right away as a no reserve auction, it sold for $125 less than what we paid for it, which was still probably a good $50 more than what it was worth, IMO. I haven''t see it relisted since then, so I guess for the new buyer it was a keeper.

That was my e-bay lesson and experience... with the refund money from that ring, I bought a loose champagne diamond (I DID fall for the color of that diamond, which led me to find another one, it''s bigger but has that same pinky/peachy champagne tone)... and I''m looking for a setting for it now. Again, I feel as long as they have good ratings and feedback and have a return policy, it is worth a try to find nice things, vs. going to a retail store!

I''ve enjoyed reading about all of your experiences too (and SEEING all the pretty rings!)

9.gif

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Ara Ann, it sounds like your story has a happy ending--you got your money back and the experience helped you find what you really wanted.

I have had my share of bad guesses. From time to time I''ve taken a knowing risk on a blurry picture, where I thought (say) that there was a chance it was a genuine antique rather than a revival piece, or real garnets rather than glass. Sometimes I''m right, and sometimes I''m wrong. I never spend much money on those blurry-picture risks, and the times when I guessed right and ended up buying genuine Victorian Whitby jet for the price of 70s plastic far outweigh (moneywise) the times I guessed wrong and ended up buying 70s plastic for the price of 70s plastic. I just pass the plastic item along to a friend who likes costume jewelry or donate it to a charity thrift shop, and figure that''s part of the price for that Victorian Whitby jet.

If I''m going to bid a lot of money, though, I pay very careful attention to feedback and return policies, and I''ve rarely been burned. Even my horrible 18th c pendant experience wasn''t so bad, except emotionally. The item was nice enough despite the damage that I wanted to keep it. If I''d decided to send it back, I''m sure I could have gotten my money back.

I''ve only sent things back once or twice. The one I remember best was a supposed antique garnet and opal bracelet, which I won for over a hundred dollars, I think. It turned out to be a glass and plastic bracelet. The seller was very apologetic and gave me a refund. I gave her positive feedback. Then I saw it listed again a few weeks later as antique garnets and opals. I was so mad, but there was nothing I could do to warn bidders.

But I don''t make that mistake too often, because I rarely buy things unless I''ve seen enough examples in person to be pretty confident about what the real deal should look like. My mistake with that bracelet was buying something because it was unusual, instead of buying something because it was typical and therefore looked "right."

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
I feel you on the gut feeling over Shiraz...
but I still want this not at all cheap sapphire stacker link

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Just bought another OEC ebay bargain..stay tuned for (hopefully) good news once it arrives
2.gif

Liane

Brilliant_Rock
Update on my Rozental Antiques experience:

I don't think English is the seller's first language, which made communication weird at a couple of points. As I mentioned in my earlier post, I got the guy to agree to a two-day inspection and return period (not all that long, but it was sufficient for my purposes. If I had needed more time I think he would have given it to me). I made an offer about 20% lower than the starting price, he made a counteroffer that was about 15% lower, that seemed reasonable so I took it.

My earrings arrived about a week later. They were in pristine condition and really gorgeous pieces. They were advertised as having center stones of K-L color, 0.70 carats total weight, with 1.8 carats of smaller diamonds in the design. They looked a little darker than K-L to me, and when I took the earrings in for an appraisal, the appraiser confirmed that the center stones were actually M-N color and 0.50 ctw. The smaller stones did indeed amount to 1.8 carats but were of mixed cuts rather than all old mine as represented. (I actually thought this was a bonus, btw, as the mix of old mine, single cuts, and old mine/old Euro transitionals added to the authenticity of the piece.) The value was fair in comparison to what I paid.

So here's the summary:

-- List price was slightly inflated over the "real" value, but negotiated price was fair;
-- Seller is responsive to questions and willing to negotiate but don't be surprised if there are some communication issues;
-- Item was authentic and in excellent condition;
-- Pictures were 100% accurate but written description was somewhat less so (not horribly off the mark, but I suspect the seller takes the most favorable possible outcome whenever there's a range of possibilities -- if you look at the detailed feedback, he's given high-end estimates on carat weights before). I would suggest basing the purchase decision on the pictures and treating the written measurements as a slightly generous estimate;
-- Overall I'm really pleased with my purchase and wouldn't hesitate to buy from this seller again.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Here''s my newest find. A pretty little vintage pin with 7 small oec diamonds that measure about 2.5mm each. At either end is a natural pearl. I love the look, I love the stones, I just don''t know when I''m going to wear it?? It doesn''t really "go" with my bathrobe!

IMG_061011.JPG

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/29/2009 11:28:52 AM
Author: Upgradable
Here''s my newest find. A pretty little vintage pin with 7 small oec diamonds that measure about 2.5mm each. At either end is a natural pearl. I love the look, I love the stones, I just don''t know when I''m going to wear it?? It doesn''t really ''go'' with my bathrobe!

Of course it goes with the bathrobe! Diamonds go with anything. That''s a great really piece, Upgradable!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Liane, what a careful and useful review--so helpful for future shoppers! Thanks for posting it.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
What a lovely pin! Excellent photo, too.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results