shape
carat
color
clarity

ebay bid purchase...good deal???

boxy

Rough_Rock
Hello,
I just won a diamond engagement ring set in platinum from a reputable ebay seller via bidding. The center stone is an OEC round 2.3 ct diamond set in platinum, with K-L color and VS clarity. The ring is a consignment piece, so does not come with any papers. The color and cut were determined by their in house appraiser. I do plan to get it appraised by my jeweler. The ring has a single baguette on each side of the center stone totaling .30 ct G-H color, VS1 clarity. The platinum wt is approx 6.1 grm. The stated appraisal is 14,000 from their jeweler, which seemed very low to me. Anyhow, I won it for 9000. I'm curious is you all think this is a great deal. Any feedback is appreciated!!!

boxy

Rough_Rock
image_3670.jpg image_3669.jpg image_3668.jpg
Here are pics. Thanks for your feedback!

acebruin

Brilliant_Rock
Honestly it looks like an I stone instead of VS.

boxy

Rough_Rock
Oh no! Well, the store owner told me that they will accept returns if item is not as described. I just almost hate having to return something so costly if It's that obvious from pics that it's not what it is stated as just from the pics! Hmmm, I'm torn now..... :confused: Anyone else have thoughts? Any feedback is appreciated as this is a huge purchase for me.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Take it immediately to a highly recommended appraiser. Even if it's stats are as stated old cut stones are all about the cut, from the pics I don't really like the cut of this one...

boxy

Rough_Rock
Ok, I def will do that. Thanks for your opinions, they help as I am not really well versed in diamonds and just thought this was a fantastic deal. I am hesitant to even follow through with the purchase now, given that it's obviously not a good stone/ or as stated. I don't know if it's worth being out the cost of the appraisal and cost of shipping back insured if item is not as described. :doh:

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Honestly if you can back out unscathed I would.

MrsJolie

Rough_Rock
Ugh! I see what others are saying. Idk if it's the way the stone is cut or if they are inclusions but I see black specs in the stone in the pictures :cry:

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did a quick PS search on Dover and they seem to have a solid reputation, so please do not worry - personally, I wouldn't assume anything about the clarity from the pics - wait for the ring to arrive and inspect it yourself; then, if you like it, try to get it to an appraiser with experience with old-cut diamonds during your return period. (I hope it is as described and you love it!)

boxy

Rough_Rock
Thanks!!! Yes, I have purchased from them before and have been very pleased. The owner has also stated they would accept returns if it's not as stated. I just hate to go through the hassle of appraising and returning it, if it's blatantly not as stated.

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
The good thing is that under the table it is reflecting light from those center facets. Do you have the measurements of the diamond? The total carat weight of the ring is 2.3c...but what is the weight of the center diamond? Best to know the width and depth in mm then we can figure the depth of the diamond.

If it is very shallow it can have fish eye... a circle around the table ...I am not seeing nail head which means it is cut too deep and the center facets under the table stay dark. The price seems very good for approx. a 2c diamond.

A good thing to ask before you bid is:

1. Does this stone have fish eye?
2. Does it have nail head?
3. Is it eye clean?...any black carbon inclusions?
4. What are the measurements of the center stone?

Then you have their statement saying "no" it does not.

I have seen expensive diamonds that were totally dark under the table because of a bad old cut....making a very ugly diamond that needs to be recut.

This stone looks promising to me. From the pictures it might have some fish eye going on. Post pictures when you get it and results from the appraiser.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
boxy|1436022249|3898878 said:
Thanks!!! Yes, I have purchased from them before and have been very pleased. The owner has also stated they would accept returns if it's not as stated. I just hate to go through the hassle of appraising and returning it, if it's blatantly not as stated.
I've always shied away from bidding on any of their pieces because they've refused to adopt the usual eBay policy of unconditionally accepting returns within 14 days; their stated policy is you have just 3 days to advise them you wish to return the item because it is SIGNIFICANTLY (caps theirs) or "grossly" different from description -- and I figured I never want to get embroiled in a dispute over what is "significantly"/"grossly". Plus, all their auction are private ones, and because an unusually high percentage of their auctions always get multiple bids, I've wondered if there's any shill bidding going on.

Do you know of a credentialed independent appraiser who's convenient to you? (3 days is not enough time to get an appraisal from someone you cannot personally deliver the ring to) If not, check out the list of appraisers here on PS under the Resources tab. If you renege on your bid & don't make payment, you're opening yourself up to having your eBay account suspended for I-don't-know-how-long -- which may or may not matter to you.

therainbowradish

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I have the exact same feelings as MollyMalone about Dover. So much that I had to read it twice to make sure I didn't write that myself. If I was you I would contact them and tell them you want to cancel your bid, or just call eBay and express your concerns now. That wA they have it on record that you were concerned if it shows up and you get flack for wanting to return it. There are great deals to be had on eBay but there is also great risk which I don't have the patience for lol. I would contact Jewels By Grace or Love Affair Diamonds.

boxy

Rough_Rock
Ok. You all are fantastic and I truly appreciate all your feedback!! It is extremely helpful! I am going to contact Dover to discuss cancelling the bid. Fingers crossed.....

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have no idea why someone said it looks like I clarity. I think those are facets.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Those black spots are camera reflections. That said, I found the listing and I don't like the cut. There is quite a bit of girdle reflection. If you look under the table, you'll see a rough looking ring just under where the table facet ends and crown facets begin. Usually oecs that are shallower tend to have girdle reflection. Assuming it is shallow, 8mm would make it under 2ct. I'd personally pass on it.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tourmaline|1436038378|3898962 said:
I have no idea why someone said it looks like I clarity. I think those are facets.

Ditto...

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I saw the auction and didn't like the stone from the photos. But take a look at it and see if you like it in person.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dover are quite notorious in over estimating colour grading and underestimating clarity when they describe anything - so always always get a good independent appraiser to look at it for you. Having said that they do have some good deals from time to time, but it helps to know what you have bought.

boxy

Rough_Rock
You all are the best! Truly appreciate every bit of feedback!! : ) Thank you!

boxy

Rough_Rock
UPDATE: Great news! I got the appraisal back today from a very reputable, GIA trained graduate gemologist. It actually came back with same color as stated by seller, L, center stone ended up being 2.2 ct vs stated 2.3 ct, but VVS2 grading with good polish and symmetry, no florescence. THe side stones came out at .38 ct tw vs .3m at G-H color, and again VVS2 clarity vs VS1-2. I am relieved and thrilled!!! The gemologist said the stone probably dates back to 1930-40's era, and was likely recut/ hence a shallow crown, but that the table was small. There is a fish tail, but he said even ideal cuts can have fish tails in them. Overall, I am super happy with the purchase. And Dover Jewelry was more than cooperative, patient and professional in dealing with me! Highly recommend them!!! Pictures to follow.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats! I am looking forward to your photos. Old cuts are lovely. :appl:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
boxy|1436478418|3901032 said:
UPDATE: Great news! I got the appraisal back today from a very reputable, GIA trained graduate gemologist. It actually came back with same color as stated by seller, L, center stone ended up being 2.2 ct vs stated 2.3 ct, but VVS2 grading with good polish and symmetry, no florescence. THe side stones came out at .38 ct tw vs .3m at G-H color, and again VVS2 clarity vs VS1-2. I am relieved and thrilled!!! The gemologist said the stone probably dates back to 1930-40's era, and was likely recut/ hence a shallow crown, but that the table was small. There is a fish tail, but he said even ideal cuts can have fish tails in them. Overall, I am super happy with the purchase. And Dover Jewelry was more than cooperative, patient and professional in dealing with me! Highly recommend them!!! Pictures to follow.

In a diamond, what is a fish tail? :confused:

cheers--Sharon

boxy

Rough_Rock
I'm sorry, fish eye :) image_3685.jpg image_3684.jpg image_3683.jpg

boxy

Rough_Rock
Nope, still have ol one.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, it's super pretty!! Love!

upgrade-me

Rough_Rock
What lovely pictures! There seems to be a hint of warmth in the outdoor hand shots, but otherwise looks quite white. It looks pretty eye clean from the pics. Are you happy with your purchase and have you taken it to get appraised?

boxy

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for the sweet comments!! I am very happy with my purchase, relieved most of all! It does show some color to it, which is really the only thing that bothers me a little, but I knew that purchasing it. Otherwise, I am thrilled with it! Yes, had it appraised today. The gemologist told me I lucked out in obtaining this ring, and got a great deal on it, then advised me not to do it again cause I may not be lucky next time!!! :shifty:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results