shape
carat
color
clarity

Easy - Cheap photo set up for gems

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Tucson is just around the corner, and at times I like to take a picture of a stone. I can't drag around the Nikon DSL and macro lens and lights, so have been toying around with the iPhone. One problem is always camera shake, so I bought this really cheap tripod off eBay (less than $6 shipped). There is a trick with the iPhone, if you plug in your earphones, the volume control on the wire works as a shutter release, so there is no camera giggle.

Here's the set up, and the first picture from it. To help with the light, I took a standard business card and cut a hole in it for the lens, then just slid it on the back of the camera.

I just cropped it a bit in the iPhone, but no other editing. The only lighting was window light, plus the window light that bounced off the white card on the back of the iPhone.

iphonegem1.jpg

iphonegem2.jpg

iphonegem3.jpg

iphonephoto1.jpeg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is perfect! :appl: Thank you, Gene. I need to tape a white business card over the back of my iPhone and I am set. It's good to know that simple and inexpensive setup can result in decent pictures.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wonder if I could do something similar that would help with the black reflections from the Olloclip....

Thanks Gene!

carmen1

Shiny_Rock
OOOO - I got my husband one of those mini flexible tripods a while back, I'm going to have to steal it and try this! Thanks!

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Freke, I was thinking about buying one of the Olloclip lenses. Do you find it gets you too close? It seems you the whole gem may fill the screen, but you are right on top if it, and there won't be too much light. How has it been working for you?

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice pics, Gene, but no where close to your usual. That said, I understand the limitations you have at Tucson and think you've come upon a great solution.

Can you all explain what an olioclip is and whether they have them/make them for droids? Also, Gene, why do you need to have a tripod - is it that with that limited lighting, the shutter speed would be slow enough to cause shake otherwise? I am asking because I always hope that I can just put stones on the windowsill and shoot away with my phone in hopes that it would work...

Once again, thanks for your sharing on photography; its always helpful.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Olioclip is the equivalent of macro lenses. There will always be camera shake when hands hold the camera and click, so the tripod takes care of that, together with a remote "switch", you'll have virtually no shake or vibration.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think the Olloclip is only for the iPhone. I tried one last year from someone while looking at some very small rough fancy colored tanzanite. The photo was very nice, but very close. I see from their site they have a new lens that is just a macro, and has 7x 14x and 21x. I am very tempted to buy it, mainly for the 7x, just afraid it will get too close, and therefore no light.

The tripod I think is a must, otherwise the slightest movement and the photo is a blur. Also the came will focus better if it's still.

Last year I bought a cheap imitation of the Olloclip, I think it was about $15. The optics were horrid, and I disposed of it. The original Olloclip is a combination macro and wide angle. This is what I tried last year for a few shots, but at 10x it needed to be too close for cut stones.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Amazingly clear and natural colour shots - hope the setup works well for you in Tucson which must be a very challenging environment for good photos apart from having to lug everything with you.

And thank you for my first (unintended) giggle of the day :razz: We know you meant jiggle but my brain went off with a picture of a "giggling" iphone saying "You want me to take a photo of this!"
Gene said:
...the volume control on the wire works as a shutter release, so there is no camera giggle.
We look forward to the photo diary when you return :appl:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PrecisionGem|1389655457|3592206 said:
I think the Olloclip is only for the iPhone. I tried one last year from someone while looking at some very small rough fancy colored tanzanite. The photo was very nice, but very close. I see from their site they have a new lens that is just a macro, and has 7x 14x and 21x. I am very tempted to buy it, mainly for the 7x, just afraid it will get too close, and therefore no light.

The tripod I think is a must, otherwise the slightest movement and the photo is a blur. Also the came will focus better if it's still.

Last year I bought a cheap imitation of the Olloclip, I think it was about $15. The optics were horrid, and I disposed of it. The original Olloclip is a combination macro and wide angle. This is what I tried last year for a few shots, but at 10x it needed to be too close for cut stones.

Thanks. That answers my question, as I knew it was used for magnification, but had only ever heard it in the context of an iPhone.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it looks great. Haha I don't know if you chose those color stones intentionally but I find orange and green the hardest to capture.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey Gene! These were taken last night. It's a slightly windowed blue topaz, so nothing amazing. First three are with the Olloclip, last isn't. You are right, there is lot of lens reflection and lack of light with the Ollo, so its hard to get pictures like what you might want.

Let me post a few more pics I've taken with the Ollo of different loose stones - I find it awesome for capturing inclusions.

blue_topaz.jpg

blue_topaz2.jpg

blue_topaz3.jpg

blue_30.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
All taken using the OlloClip

First pic: Taken of a crack in a hot pink spinel to send to a recutter. This was enlarged and cropped a bit.

Second pic: not altered in any way. Same stone as above, pre-recut

Third pic: moderately included hot pink spinel

Fourth pic: Lavender asscher, set, added because it's a much cleaner stone.

Basically, I think it works best with as much light as possible. These were taken in my bedroom (first three), midday, with lots of sunlight pouring in. The last one was in diffused sunlight outside.

Totally worth getting in and really getting pictures of a stone - one of the diamonds in the above blue topaz ring has a tiny cloud in it, and the only way I could get a view of it was using the OlloClip - it's much better at my loupe, plus I can put it on my comp and a tiny tiny inclusion the size of my hand. :wacko:

I think this is the one I have (I have a 4s):
http://www.amazon.com/Olloclip-3---...=UTF8&qid=1389749861&sr=8-2&keywords=OlloClip

_13704.jpg

img_3293.jpg

img_3294.jpg

pretty24.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results